XF 55-200 twists when zooming in / out

Hello,

Three weeks ago I got my X-T2 with the kit 18-55 and 55-200.

As the zoom ring on 55-200 is much stiffer than 18-55, when I zoom in / out the whole lens twists slightly. That does not happen with 18-55 when using the zoom ring as it is not that stiff, but I am able to reproduce it if I hold the base of the lenses and twist it, applying the same force as when using the zoom on 55-200. There is no move perpendicular on the lens axis. I did not have time to play much with the camera until now, so I just noticed this yesterday.

My previous camera was Nikon D90 and I cannot recall to have noticed such behaviour (I sold the camera, so cannot check)

Can somebody with one or both of those lenses (or even any other Fujinon lens) please check on X-T2 or similar camera?

Is this something I need to worry about ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by etomcat

I have had a few lens that do this, its not a major problem as the electric contacts are pin to flat square, as long as the play is not enough to take the pin off the sides of the square then you will retain electronic contact, as the play does not happen at the moment of the shot (unless you are doing some crazy zooming whilst in a very long exposure, it won't be a problem and even then it would probably not be noticable amongst the effect obtained by that technique, ie deliberately unfocused areas.

• 2 weeks later...

My 55-200 was loose to the extent that it lost contact with the camera for a moment. I had to send it on service to fix the error. Fortunately, it went on the guarantee.

Thanks for replying, Lelle Kidd

Was it loose from the beginning or it developed by using the lens? Did you have to send the camera or the lens or both?

etomcat, on 26 May 2017 - 4:33 PM, said:etomcat, on 26 May 2017 - 4:33 PM, said:

Thanks for replying, Lelle Kidd

Was it loose from the beginning or it developed by using the lens? Did you have to send the camera or the lens or both?

It was three years ago, I had then had it for a year.

I think the fault had always been there until I sent it to service.

Yes, When I got it back, the fault was still there, so I had to send it again, this time with the camera. Then they managed to fix it.

Edited by Lelle Kidd