long travel combo advice - xt10 or xt1?

Interesting post, as I am getting through the exact same questions!

I have a slightly smaller budget than you, but I already have a X100s. The problem is that for travel it's not always enough: the fix lens is excellent, but the lack of zoom is often an issue when pressed by time...

So far I've decided to go for the X-T1 with the 18-135, to have the maximum flexibility, including when needing WR.

The X100s covers the 23mm focal. The TCL converter on the X100s could cover the 35mm focal (although I'll probably fall for the wonderful 35mm f1.4 one day).

Then it's about the ultra-wide side: on this I'm still hesitating between the 10-24mm and the 14mm... I may choose to rent them to decide. Why are you looking at the 12mm rather than Fujinon options? Price?

Anyway, the two bodies is certainly a good piece of advice (as many stated above) and you should probably look at the X100s as it's getting cheaper and cheaper second hand since the release of the X100T.

I'll make my decision within the next two weeks, but please keep us posted on what you decide after all!

Cheers

... you should probably look at the X100s as it's getting cheaper and cheaper second hand since the release of the X100T.

In a way I agree with you but on the other hand I think the combination of X-T1 and X100S will get you very frustrated with the latter. The X100S has many really annoying quirks which have been ironed out in the later cameras and the AF of the X-T1 is just years ahead of what the X100S manages. I'd advise anyone to instead get an X-T10 or at least X-E2. Also if the main camera breaks you'll still be able to use the 18-135 which will probably be your workhorse lens while travelling.

I'd rent the 18-135 and see if you like it. Personally I'd rather have the 16-55 2.8 WR since it's considerably sharper, brighter and overall a much higher quality lens. That extra 2mm at the wide end is nice as well. The 18-135 has an annoying feature that the zoom gets sticky as you move past 100mm to 135mm which makes it less enjoyable to use and I'm finding it's not a super sharp lens. The 16-55 is the best lens I have for my X-T1 and I have 6 or 7 of them.

The 18-55 2.8-4.0 is a fantastic lens. Has IS, nice image quality and is small (something to consider if you're on a bike). The fact is isn't weather sealed may seem to be a problem but if you look at my other posts you'll see I complain about WR on the X-T1 (worth getting but don't count on it).

I agree with others about the 2nd body. I lost a body to rain while in Rome. Got VERY lucky to be able to pick up a replacement 3 days later in Sicily after hunting around for two days. Those 3 days I shot with my x100s and it was a bit frustrating. The X-T1 body is small and light and easy to pack, just a matter of $. Just remember that you may end up losing both the lens and body so have a backup for both (why I like the 18-55 even more). Now if you'll be near camera stores all the time then pass on it but SE Asia and some parts of AU could be an issue. Hopefully you have an iPhone as your backup anyway (moment lenses are nice - momentlens.co). I use one for geotagging so have it with me always anyway.

If you want a wide lens I'd think about Samyang to save money. It's nice having something wide (12mm would be my choice) for landscape and even some in-town atmosphere pics. My 8mm is amazingly sharp so maybe the 12mm is as well. Annoying you have to focus by hand and no lens data transmitted to camera but for wide angle that isn't as critical (IMO)