X-T1 Weather Seal - How extreme can you go with it?

Toon

Hi Guys,

Been using the X-T1 for awhile now and I've always wanted to know from other X-T1 users on how well the camera performed under extreme conditions (dust storms, extreme cold/hot weather, heavy rain). I currently don't own any WR lenses so I don't have any personnel experiences to share.

I've also not had the opportunity (yet) to take pictures in extremely cold/hot/wet places, but I know from personnel experience it does pretty well under 80-90% humidity....I know this because I live in Bangkok and if you've been here, you know, the humidity index can get almost to 100% during the hot or monsoon season.

I searched around and found 2 visual examples of the X-T1 getting water poured on it and also....getting fully dunked in a river several times. 

https://youtu.be/JK3FfMCE2Ww

https://youtu.be/3m35MqUersU

I know this is not the average (or recommended) 'usage' for the FUJI X-T1, but I think it's always good to know the limitations of the camera. How about you guys, any extreme examples to share?

ps - this guy took his X-T1 body + XF23mm to a water festival

(if you're curious chk it out, btw ,I'm not trying to directly promote anyone here, just posting examples for our community) http://www.f8photography.com.hk/blog/2014/04/songkranfujixt1/

2 hours in the rain in Rome with the 18-135 and I lost my x-t1 so I'd assert is isn't very well sealed

No modern camera or lens is sealed against 2 hours in the rain: they either start fogging and become unusable, or fail completely. If you want to shoot in the rain, get an underwater box (or at very least, an "underwater" rated camera-specific bag).

My 1D would have been fine and there are plenty of consumer waterproof cameras that would have as well.

When I was getting paid to get out in bad weather and shoot I often used a rain cover but not always and same for the pros around me both Canon and Nikon shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No modern camera or lens is sealed against 2 hours in the rain: they either start fogging and become unusable, or fail completely. If you want to shoot in the rain, get an underwater box (or at very least, an "underwater" rated camera-specific bag).

3-4 hours in crappy high up in the mountain typical British weather type of conditions. Camera attached to backback via Capture Clip with lens pointing down. Just seemed to run off with no misting, well, the gales probably blew a lot off as well!

It was a bit annoying looking through a wet view finder though! I have the camera to hand waiting for breaks in the cloud etc. Got some great snow storm shots of the Torridon mountains this way, 12 shots stitched together. Good fun!

Before risking it though and Knowing what could happen in the mountains, I tested it out by placing the camera in the shower while switched on for 5-10 mins..... gave the bugga a socking it would truly remember. When it survived that, I knew I could take it out and not give a flying F..... whether the heavens opened or not. Don't have time to pack and unpack gear every 5 mins, besides, by the time you get it out the opportunity has often gone.

Edit.

Just to point out, with the lens pointing down, the lens mount is more or less completely sheltered from the rain. I'd consider this being the weakest link in the damp proofing chain!

• 3 weeks later...

I use a black rapid strap so my lens was pointing down as well. Could be my early release X-T1 bought in first few weeks it cane out had issues with weather sealing. It had the light leak issue and I had the rubber door replaced after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even the crappiest non-sealed modern camera with plastic zoom lens deals with drizzle. If X-T1 can't work in serious rain what's the point of sealing though? 

Even the crappiest non-sealed modern camera with plastic zoom lens deals with drizzle.[...]

Some drizzle would be fine, but even still, I do not think that 2 hours of continuous drizzle is going to spare the camera with no weather sealing, specially with interchangeable lenses, those fixed zoom lens or bridge camera have it a bit better since all the moving parts are sort of sealed from dust and fine particles.