Visit to United Kingdom

kyoleung

Hi everyone. I made a visit to the United Kingdom in April, 2015. The trip lasted 14 days.

Photos taken with X-E2 and 18-55mm lens, processed with LR 6.  This " kit " lens is a great work-around gem !

Re-evaluate all the photos recently, I found a lot of room for improvement. Picked some photos and share on Flickr.

Thanks for watching!

*** Edinburgh  ***

34360531095_f70ea966c2_h.jpgEdinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

34319255526_d9e7f488ac_h.jpgEdinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

34360530635_7a12acfaa6_b.jpgEdinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

34319254566_3b1482593e_b.jpgEdinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

**** York ******

34322424956_cced929e18_b.jpgYork by Ja
ck Lee, 於 Flickr

ee, 於 Flickr

33521764554_852be5ec2a_b.jpgYork by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

*** Cotswolds in Central England ***

33994433580_2096961c7f_b.jpgBibury by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

33994433340_1281f96033_h.jpgBibury by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

33994432200_b1e0c44efb_h.jpgChipping Campden by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

33537080564_924a660ac0_h.jpgChipping Campden by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

*** Manchester ***

Edited by kyoleung

***  London   ***

33543984124_e980622839_b.jpgBuckingham Palace by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr

** The National Gallery, Lots of great paintings **

***  On the plane  ***

Looks like a nuclear bomb  XD

1) Indeed a few pictures are HDR processed in Photomatix first and then further edited in LR.

2) the sequence of the 14-day trip ,  in London > Birminham > Manchester > Edinburgh ( Scotland ) > York > Oxford and Cotswold > London. All by trains.

nice pics but quite a few show very “ light” on my monitor, a bit less brightness would saturate colors and give more presence.

If you don’t mind I made some quick and dirty adjustments to show what I mean.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

nice pics but quite a few show very “ light” on my monitor, a bit less brightness would saturate colors and give more presence.

If you don’t mind I made some quick and dirty adjustments to show what I mean.

I like your adjustments!  Those were processed with HDR, which was quite new to me in the year 2015.

Welcome anyone to leave comments~ Exchanging ideas is a great thing!

well, I simply readjusted the levels. 

Several of your captures are, in my opinion, simply too pale, but maybe this might also depend upon your monitor or your taste for a more “ pastel” rendition. If you were ever to print those pictures you would see that they would flatten even more.

But these things are not set in stone. Sometimes I see people with pics where there are only super saturated colors and images supposed to be in black and white which are sot in grey and grey-er.

Nice compositions.

well, I simply readjusted the levels. 

Several of your captures are, in my opinion, simply too pale, but maybe this might also depend upon your monitor or your taste for a more “ pastel” rendition. If you were ever to print those pictures you would see that they would flatten even more.

But these things are not set in stone. Sometimes I see people with pics where there are only super saturated colors and images supposed to be in black and white which are sot in grey and grey-er.

Nice compositions.

Heard that printing help finding the "defects" of the photo, from someone else as well.

You have a printer at home and print often ?

I rarely print them out, if I do, just go to some local store to print at 3R or 4R size, at  0.2 USD dollar each. But I am planning to print some of my picks at large size , eg at A4 or A3 size. Then hang up in my house :)

Btw, I am from Hong Kong, Asia.

I don’t print often, in fact one of my arguments against the race towards the ever increasing higher pixel count is that I can have my X-T1 files printed 2 x 3 m as it is (and I don’t do much of it) and don’t need more pixels (and for my type of photography faster autofocus is pointless) than what I have. There might be other things beneficial but I am happy with what I have and will only upgrade when my camera stops working or something really revolutionary will appear without breaking the bank.

Unless you have a very good printer (and print a lot) I think that home printing is not the best way to go. In general you will spend a lot of money trying to get what a good shop, with better equipment, will do for you. If you have something that you are particularly proud of you can have it printed on glass (or perspex).

Agree with you on the stop increasing of pixel count issue. For people cropping a lot and print really big, that really helps. But for most folks, 24 mpixels are well enough for most purposes, can print big up to A3+.

I really hope sensor companies like Sony can put more emphasis on the areas of  wider dynamic range, higher color reproduction quality, fewer noise etc

For camera companies, make cameras more customizable, eg allow us to customize the curve for jpg,  file name with customized template instead of just img_xxxx

I never knew printing can be done on glass, just knew in the old time, people painted on it. Will google to know more about the details. Thanks for the recommendation.

When I saw the original pictures first I also had the impresseion they are slightly overexposed but also that they remind me of water colour pictures of the 18th and 19th century. Milandro's adjustments make them look more like normal photos but also more ordinary. (No offence to Milandro intented.) So the original version has a good quality on its own.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Apology to Milandro included.

Edited by Jürgen Heger

I could do the same HDR treatment an give them more depth too ( less “ normal) and more “ drawing"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by milandro

I understand that there are many ways to skin a cat but my point was it is not the looks as in the aesthetics of the image but the objective lack of saturation which on my monitor, and on prints, would make the original by OP look too desaturated. The amount of saturation is of course debatable and arbitrary. I merely suggested to him an alternative possible interpretation, never did it cross my mind that I was making a better picture from te aesthetic point of view.

As for skills, thanks for your appreciation but I just pushed a button  ;)  :D ( and you can see it from the creation of artifacts in the image). This was a quick and dirty suggestion, just to see how it goes.

But of course , anything goes as one wishes.

Edited by milandro

I welcome whatever comment, advice or critics, they stimulate me to  think, re-evaluate, experiment new things and understand how other people are.

If everyone has the same taste, same thought, same vision, etc, the world would be so boring  ;)