What Lens Should I Buy Next?

Since you already have the 18-55, I would look at the 10-24mm with OIS. Note that it is not WR - though.

I have the 16-55 and love it - with WR but no OIS.

I just got the 50 f2 and it is awesome - WR included - very happy. It's small size is very noticeable.

BTW: I got the higher cost Metabones adapter and am enjoying using several Nikon lenses like the 55 and 105 micro nikkors.

Of course, when someone asks that question, the proper response should be, "I don't know, what do you have now and what do you shoot?" 

I'm not a professional - though I did some pro work in the past, and for seven years was one of the co-owners of Hong Kong's PASM Workshop photo studio, shooting musicians, models, head shots, and events. I'm someone who recently sold off all my Nikon gear and went with Fuji and I'm not looking back.

The most demanding stuff I shoot these days is bands - mostly independent musicians playing in small dark clubs in Hong Kong and Manila. I also love to shoot just general purpose walking around in Manila and Hong Kong kinds of stuff, and also portraits of friends. 

I have the X-T2. So far I have 3 prime lenses - 23mm F2, 56mm F1.2, 90mm F2. I love them all.

I also have the "kit" lens, the 18-55mm F2.8-F2.4. I wanted to get the 16-55mm F2.8 but was trying to save some money and concerned about the weight. The 18-55 has consistently surprised me (in a good way). 

What I'm thinking about:

27mm F2.8 lens because it's tiny, relatively cheap, and while not in the top range of Fuji's lenses would likely be "good enough" for my purposes - something small and compact, making it easy to toss my camera in a day bag for walking around. 

60mm F2.4 because a macro lens would be useful for me - I've got a lot of collections of little stuff that I'd like to document.

18-135mm F3.5-5.6 lens so that I'd only take one lens with me when traveling, albeit a big one.

Any thoughts on any of these choices? Are there other lenses that I should be considering? I'd love to have the 16-55 F2.8 and 50-140 F2.8 but those are both out of my budget for now. 

Thanks!

I own or have rented all the lenses on your list.

Here are my thoughts:

• 27/2.8 - My least used lens.  Sure it is short; but, I find it focuses slow and I can't get used to its lack of aperture ring.  I found being short wasn't a big advantage because the body it is attached to dictates how "small" it is.  I rather bring my X100S or Sony RX100M4 if I want something small.  And 27mm doesn't do much for me since I would rather go with the 23mm and 35mm focal lengths.
  • 18-135 - It has pixel peeping issues on the long end and when shot wide open.  It is fine stopped down.  If best to ultimate image quality is the priority, I wouldn't use it.  But, if you can live with its size, as a travel lens it is so very awesome.  If I want 135mm in my bag, it is either the 18-135, 55-200, or 50-140.  So I think of the 18-135 as a way of bringing telephoto reach for nearly free.  I pair it with one or two primes or my 10-24 if I plan on shooting as wide as I can go.
  • 60mm (rented) - Really slow focus to the point I miss a lot of shots.  Really nice sharpness.  It's not a true macro.  I'm waiting for Fujifilm's next macro lens.  Until then I play with Fujifilm's macro extension tubes if I want to get close
  • 16-55 - It is big and heavy, has f/2.8 constant, and focuses fast.  I find the I use the 16-55 the same way I used my Canon 5D3 w/ 24-70/2.8 and external flash with bounce modifier:  conventions where I can use flash.  If I can handle the weight and size, I can use it as my walk around lens.  I usually bring either the 18-135 (if I need the OIS or reach) or the 16-55 (for when I don't and want the image quality).  

Now that I own the 16-55, I tried a camera bag with my X-T1, X-T2, 16-55, 10-24, 50-140, 16/1.4, 56/1.2, and Nissin Di700A flash --- it is so unpleasantly heavy, I cannot believe I used to carry a similar Canon FF setup.

Anyway, shooting in Manila and Hong Kong regularly sounds so very rewarding.  Please share what you end up buying next and how it all works out for you.

I own or have rented all the lenses on your list.

Here are my thoughts:

• 27/2.8 - My least used lens.  Sure it is short; but, I find it focuses slow and I can't get used to its lack of aperture ring.  I found being short wasn't a big advantage because the body it is attached to dictates how "small" it is.  I rather bring my X100S or Sony RX100M4 if I want something small.  And 27mm doesn't do much for me since I would rather go with the 23mm and 35mm focal lengths.
  • 18-135 - It has pixel peeping issues on the long end and when shot wide open.  It is fine stopped down.  If best to ultimate image quality is the priority, I wouldn't use it.  But, if you can live with its size, as a travel lens it is so very awesome.  If I want 135mm in my bag, it is either the 18-135, 55-200, or 50-140.  So I think of the 18-135 as a way of bringing telephoto reach for nearly free.  I pair it with one or two primes or my 10-24 if I plan on shooting as wide as I can go.
  • 60mm (rented) - Really slow focus to the point I miss a lot of shots.  Really nice sharpness.  It's not a true macro.  I'm waiting for Fujifilm's next macro lens.  Until then I play with Fujifilm's macro extension tubes if I want to get close
  • 16-55 - It is big and heavy, has f/2.8 constant, and focuses fast.  I find the I use the 16-55 the same way I used my Canon 5D3 w/ 24-70/2.8 and external flash with bounce modifier:  conventions where I can use flash.  If I can handle the weight and size, I can use it as my walk around lens.  I usually bring either the 18-135 (if I need the OIS or reach) or the 16-55 (for when I don't and want the image quality).  

Now that I own the 16-55, I tried a camera bag with my X-T1, X-T2, 16-55, 10-24, 50-140, 16/1.4, 56/1.2, and Nissin Di700A flash --- it is so unpleasantly heavy, I cannot believe I used to carry a similar Canon FF setup.

Anyway, shooting in Manila and Hong Kong regularly sounds so very rewarding.  Please share what you end up buying next and how it all works out for you.

A lot of info and extremely useful - thank you!  

As for what I will buy next, the company I work for was sold two months ago and last week the new owners started handing out redundancy notices, so at this point I need to sort out employment before i buy any more photo gear!

Sorry to hear about the recent development. Hope you're doing alright.

Could you tell me where in HK I could shop for lenses? I'll be going there first week of July and would get some if the price is right.

Thanks. Hopefully it is just a minor setback.

My favorite place to go is a small shopping mall called Sim City. It is on Shantung Street off Nathan Road in Mong Kok. It's a 3 floor mall which, despite the name, is more than 50% camera shops, selling both used and new stuff. On the new stuff, most of the places will have two prices - one for manufacturers warranty and one for grey goods. Be sure to specify which you want. It's also a good place to look for accessories like bags, straps, filters, etc.

On Hong Kong Island, I go to the Wanchai Computer Center, which is on Hennessy Road right next to the Wanchai MTR. There are a few camera stores in there, they know me there and it's close to where I live in HK, so I probably go there more often. But Sim City is more fun.

If you're buying mainstream stuff (like Fuji) and you want the manufacturers warranty and you already know what you want, you could also go into any of the major electronics shops like Fortress or Broadway. They all charge pretty much the same price. 

Check a site called price.com.hk - it's all in Chinese but Google Translate handles it pretty well. You can search for anything there and it will tell you the shops with the best prices for both "water goods" - parallel imports - and "hong goods" - manufacturers warranty. DCFever.com - also all in Chinese - is the mega trading site for used camera gear in HK. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff through that site.