view image with histogram directly on LCD screen?

akphoto

I just bought an X-T2 and now use it for my work next to my Canon 5D mark III bodies.

On my Canon I am used to a workflow like this:

1 - take a picture

2 - view the image on the LCD on the back in INFO mode; so I can check the histogram and the blinking highlights (if there are any)

This workflow is important to me but unfortunately I am not able to do this with my X-T2. It seems that the only possibility to view the picture on the LCD screen is a full screen image on the LCD without any information like the histogram or highlight blinking warnings. To see this information I have to press the play button after every single image I take (and make sure that the INFO screen is displayed then).

So my question: am I missing something? Is there a setting to make it possible to show the picture with all the info on the LCD screen directly after taking a picture (instead of only showing a full screen picture without info)?

Thanks!

I suppose you haven’t set your screen ( LCD & EVF) to show the histogram. You can do that in the custom screen settings menu. Histogram is not in  de default choices but needs enabling.

This is a link to the manual. You need to do separate settings for the LCD and EVF.

Reading the manual and going through all the menu options is a must.

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t2/menu_setup/screen_set-up/index.html

Edited by milandro

Hello Picturer and milandro, what I meant is viewing the histogram during the review of the image, directly after taking the image.

So like Picturer already said :)

I already have set the histogram to show when I take the picture (in the EVF), so no problem there. But after taking the image I can only see a full preview of the image on the LCD, without the histogram. Then when I press the play button I can choose the info screen which shows the histogram and a small image with highlight blinking warnings.

So I ques what I want is not possible with an Fuji camera, at least not now (maybe possible after a firmware upgrade?).

I must say I am a little surprised that nobody else seems to be missing this feature.

For example: I am taking a lot of real estate pictures, so a lot of interior photography. With that kind of pictures I always have to deal with the windows in the room which are almost always included in the picture frame. I always search for the correct exposure where the windows are just a little bit overexposed but not to much, so I can still see what's outside the building. To achieve this I take a couple of test shots and then it's just very nice when I can see the test shots directly on the LCD screen with the histogram and with the blinking highlights warning. Now with my X-T2 I have to press the play button once after every single test shot I make to get this information.

One other example: when I do wedding pictures I also like to see the overexposure warnings because of the white wedding dress. I want to be sure if the dress is not overexposed, so on my X-T2 I will have to press that play button again after every shot...

I don't think that just looking at a preview picture on the LCD without any additional info like an histogram and over exposure warnings is the way to go when you care about correct exposure, at least not for me.

you can set the EVF to be more representative of the image (although there are several people whom seem to report problems in that sense), I have it set at -1brightness 0 color an image preview on)  so that it shows an image as close as possible to the result and you can shoot some bracketed images so that you are always sure that you have it the way you want.

However , I am curious, if you’ve shot with the histogram “ ON”  while you were shooting ( and therefore you are aware of it)  why do you need to look at it again after the shot?

Two things: when I look through the EVF I can see the histogram but at that moment my attention is mostly with the composition of the image. Second, I still can't see the overexposure warnings in the EVF and I like to check both histogram and highlights warning.

I will follow your advice to make the EVF more representative of the final raw file. I am already playing with the JPEG settings to create a setup where the histogram of the raw file (in Capture One) comes as close as possible by the preview in the camera. Setting the highlights at -2 already seems to helped a lot so far.

I ques I also have to get used to use the histogram in the EVF more, I am so used to the optical finder from my Canon...

But I really like the IQ of the X-T2, especially when I use the 14.2.8 for my interior work, what a great lens is that!

Well... I did some test shots with DR100 and DR200 with JPEG and RAF files. I did an interior shot with a window in the image.

I imported the 2 JPEG and 2 RAF files in Capture One and I can clearly see the difference in the JPEG files (of course) but also in the RAF files!

The image with DR200 show more detail in the window and far less highlight clipping. This counts for the JPEG and for the RAF, but the effect is most strong in the JPEG.

The RAF file with DR200 seems to be automatically "corrected" by Capture One. I mean that Capture One seems to do "something" good with the DR information that is in the file. The DR200 RAF file is slightly darker in the shadows then the DR100 RAF file, but this is just so little that just setting the shadows slider in Capture One at 15% solves this. I don't need to adjust the exposure slider.

So to me it's clear that the DR settings are certainly useful when using RAF files in Capture One!

I will do one more test and then also use DR400. I will let you know!

Edited by akphoto

You're correct that some PP software reads the DR flag in the RAW and shows the image corrected/brightened.

Except for Adobe, which ignores DR if set to AUTO (or they must have fixed it by now.. Don't know disabled.. AUTO-DR because of that).

The image with DR200 show more detail in the window and far less highlight clipping. This counts for the JPEG and for the RAF, but the effect is most strong in the JPEG.

Of course there is a difference: the ISO, shutter speed and Aperture are not the same, and therefore your image will not be the same. You should have underexposed your RAW without DR by two stops, and then equalise the image exposure in post to match the DR version. They should be the same.

• 2 weeks later...

On the X-Pro2 at least, when reviewing an image, press the up arrow to get a info view with the histogram and blinking highlights, once this view mode is set, you can retain this mode whilst scrolling through the images

As noted above, the DR expansion modes work by under exposing the raw file.

Then for SOOC jpegs, the low and mid tones are boosted (a bit like dragging the shadow slider in LR etc)

The RAW file remains under exposed. Whether this matters or not, depends on how much of the shot is highlights and how your raw software of choice handles the DR info in the meta data.

ISO 200 has more native DR than ISO 400 or 800, so PERSONALLY I leave DR on DR100 mode. But what ever works for you