Xpro1 still worth buying? (06.15)

My x-pro2 is not here yet, but I often use x-t10 with the new AF system, and x-pro1 with different lenses mounted.

If your subjects are not moving quickly (landscapes, portraits etc) thn the x-pro1 is as good as any other alternative and currently a great value. I am an old Leica shooter and like the OVF.

I bought mine packaged with 35/1.4 and 27/2.8 for $50 USD less than the lens package alone.

I will keep my x-pro1 even after my x-pro2 arrives.

... H

After my first tests I am amazed by the handling of this machine. Still it is to loud for my taste the af and the shutter as well. (Still don't understand why there is shutter in mirrorless cameras, it should be full electric, and only aperture should move)

I am also impressed how much i can crop from the picture and still have a proper picture. I am shocked that ISO settings are like no effect on the picture. I see the first minimal noise on ISO 6400, and to be honest i just saw it as i was searching for it as i wanted to test how far I can go. Colours are beautiful, still i see minimal differences between the film emulations, so I couldn't make up my mind which to use. 

I checked the 18 and 27mm lens. People are about how sharp is the 27. To be honest as I see for my taste 18mm it is much better then what 27mm is creating. I can anytime crop the image to the same size .On the other hand yes 27 mm is half of the size. (By the way I don't know how others are testing, or how demanding they are, I could see no difference between different apertures on the image. I was photoing an old wall to minimize the changing depth of filed effect. for me the details and sharpness of the stone were more then acceptable with every aperture step. I could see trace of little degradation over apperture 11 however it might be just my eyes started to see blurry at that point)  So still i need to figure out which should be the main lens. I think I will need the 60mm macro very soon, but in that case i will need a flash too. Anybody has experiences with wee flash for x-pro1? (shouldn't be strong, just kind of fill flash going through a special self designed diffusor.) Also would like to taste Shamyang 12mm.

I am also thinking about to sell both or one prime and buy the 18-55 mm zoom, as i have heared that the quality is the same or higher as it is a really good zoom. Despite usability, it is kind of betray the soul of the pro1 but i don't care i was always on the usability side :)

Anyway, I terrible miss an affordable long zoom, like sigma 150-600. I saw the new fuji zoom goes to 400 with teleconverter but it is like 1500 pounds. What is kind of short and dear. Anyway maybe i will buy another brand for long tele, then for macro and general photo i can use the Fuji. 

After my first tests I am amazed by the handling of this machine. Still it is to loud for my taste the af and the shutter as well. (Still don't understand why there is shutter in mirrorless cameras, it should be full electric, and only aperture should move)

There is a good reason that larger sensor digital cameras have mechanical shutters.

CMOS sensors move data one line ar a time, which can cause 'rolling shutter problems when there is a lag between the first and last line, and the subject is moving. Sort of like zig-zag panning.

Using a mechanical shutter starts and stops exposure of all photosites at the same time and moves the data at leisure (hopefully really fast).

There is also a benefit to protecting the sensor on interchangeable lens cameras.

A mechanical shutter is not closed forming a barrier in front of the sensor of a mirrorless camera with interchangeable sensor. That’s how you see the image, BECAUSE nothing is shut in front of the sensor.

If you wish to clean the sensor, in fact all you have to do is operate directly on it because there is not “ protection” which would otherwise need to be opened.

Anyway, I am not sure of what kind of “ protection” the shutter would offer since damaging the shutter isn’t going to be much less expensive to replace than damaging the sensor.

I doubt it.

First of all the sensor needs to be exposed to the light before shooting because, unlike a DSLR, that’s how you produce the image that you see in your electronic viewfinder. If the shutter will be closed you wouldn’t see anything.

True, dirt enters the camera and finds its way to the sensor, mostly when you change lenses but at that time you are using the camera and so the shutter would need to be open immediately after.

Zoom lenses might work as a piston sucking up dirt from the outside and directing it to the sensor by the shifting action of the lenses.  Dirt which reaches the sensor is normally shaken off by the sensor vibrating.

I have this on all the time.

But if dirt doesn’t reach the sensor it might simply stay in the dark box until you (hopefully) flush it out with  some bellows. We have to do this periodically.

Because there isn’t a mirror which flaps about, you don’t have particles which will fly round (and then land on the sensor ) and about once the’ve settled in the camera.

If dirt is dry and doesn’t adhere to the sensor, as it would do if wet or extremely smooth, you can easily remove it and even if it is on the sensor you can almost certainly get most of it off it, one way or another.

The longer the sensor is exposed, the more likely dirt is to settle on it, as opposed to somewhere else in the body.

When the camera is turned off, or no lens is mounted, there is no benefit to exposing the sensor unless you are cleaning it.

Even if the risk is small, when there is no counterbalancing benefit, the risk is too great.

... H

I am like many here.  I fell in love with the Fuji mirrorless system when I got the X100S.  I then got an X100T and have been using it as my only camera for some time (except for water sports photography which I use the Nikon AW130).

I am just an amateur photographer.  I don't take great pictures but I enjoy it.

I can't adequately express how much more I enjoyed photography once I got the X100's.

But, after the announcement of the XPro2, I became obsessed.  Probably not a good thing, you should be happy with what you have.

But due to price and availability, it really isn't a good idea for me.

But B&H is selling the XPro1 for 499!!!!

I guess I don't need a whole lot of convincing, especially after reading this thread.

I think I will go for it.

One problem is that now I need a lens!!

I love the wide angle lens on the X100T, so Im thinking of sticking to that sort of focal length.

The 35mm sounds nice but I never really liked the 35mm film equivalent 50mm, so thats not right for me.

What is a good, reasonably priced wide angle for the XPro1?

the cheapest moderate wideangle which is closest to the 23mm and won’t break the bank is the 27mm pancake... if you can live with the aperture being set via the wheel at the back of the camera, if not than you need to consider much more expensive lenses such as the 23mm f1.4 but it is a very large lens.

Over here ( but they would ship of course) X pro 1 are often sold with a kit of the 27mm and the 18mm at a pittance. Good luck!

http://www.kamera-express.nl/product/12206099/fujifilm-x-pro1-xf-18mm-f-2-0-xf-27mm-f-2-8-lc-xpro1-luxe-lederen-tas/

http://www.foka.nl/fujifilm-x-pro-1-xf-18mm-f-2-r-xf-27mm-f-2-8-lc-xpro1

http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/fujifilm-x-pro1-18mm-f2-27mm-f2-8-lc-xpro1-5

I like the 18mm and i don't see 27mm that big stuff. Small- small, but not that much smaller, to be hones, maybe i miss something but straight from the camera jpg pictures for me are not that nice as 18mm, and pro 1 has the real resolution to crop a good size so we can have usable picture cropping a 18mm to the size of a 27mm. It is a waste of money to have both, and waste of time changing them. 

(I am still amazed that 100% crops are pictures not detail-less washed painting like from my compact Sony)

To be honest if I sell both 18 and 27mm I can buy a 18-55mm zoom, what is said to be a prime quality zoom, and my configuration is more flexible, less lens changing. Yes a bit bigger. 

I bought an X pro 1 less than a month ago.

With 465 euro, new, I have realized a dream and I am delighted, because I being given enormous satisfaction.

With perfect size, fabulous and versatile viewfinder, camera interface, JPEG perfect, gave me the pleasure of photographing.

I'm sorry for my English.

Giovanni.

Italia

I am like many here.  I fell in love with the Fuji mirrorless system when I got the X100S.  I then got an X100T and have been using it as my only camera for some time (except for water sports photography which I use the Nikon AW130).

I am just an amateur photographer.  I don't take great pictures but I enjoy it.

I can't adequately express how much more I enjoyed photography once I got the X100's.

But, after the announcement of the XPro2, I became obsessed.  Probably not a good thing, you should be happy with what you have.

But due to price and availability, it really isn't a good idea for me.

But B&H is selling the XPro1 for 499!!!!

I guess I don't need a whole lot of convincing, especially after reading this thread.

I think I will go for it.

One problem is that now I need a lens!!

I love the wide angle lens on the X100T, so Im thinking of sticking to that sort of focal length.

The 35mm sounds nice but I never really liked the 35mm film equivalent 50mm, so thats not right for me.

What is a good, reasonably priced wide angle for the XPro1?

I have a X100S. I was thinking about upgrading to the T. Nothing wrong with the S I love it. But the T seems to to have been....refined. And since I love my X100S so much that's why I wanted to upgrade. Then the XP2 came on the scene and the XP1 is now available NEW for $499. I felt it was too good to pass up. So I ordered one from B&H and a used, condition 10, 35mm F1.4 to go with it. Love it. However I already knew I wanted another lens, and in my Nikon 35mm film days the focal length I used the most was the 21mm wide angle. I absolutely loved that lens. That translates to the FujiX 14mm. A little pricey, but Henery's up in Canada has them on sale. The sale price along with the favorable currency exchange rate allowed me to get that lens for $527ish USD. (Compared to $899 from B&H). The lens is arriving today. So that's what I did, your mileage may vary. That focal length is great for landscape photoagraphy but also gives very interesting perspectives on close-up subjects. It is just a lot of fun to shoot with and I can't wait to do just that. It's been years since my Nikon.

You will love the 14 2.8. It is very sharp from corner to corner, not and compact and works well on an XP1. I was able to buy one in like new condition for $475. I would recommend going the used route for future lenses. You can save hundreds of dollars and there are a few sites that are very reputable. The only negative to the 14 2.8 is a somewhat loose turning aperture ring. 

Guest Ridgeback

If you want a superlative camera then NOW is the perfect time to buy an X-Pro 1 cos they're cheap as chips and the teething problems are defo gone. Mine's on its way as I type :P

If you need the latest gadget with the most mega-pixels [cos you only have a mini pixel] then there never was a good time for the X-Pro 1 anyway.

I must agree with all the posts about the X-Pro1, it is a superb camera and here in the UK there were some superb deals so I managed to pick up a brand new X-Pro1 with 18, 27 and Fuji case (I only use the half case) for an amazing price.

Effectively I paid for the 2 lenses and got the camera and case free!! I updated firmware to 3.50 and find it performs even better than my X100s so I am one happy bunny!

I am so pleased with it that I have just traded in my Micro 4/3rds kit (very little used) and have effectively pre-paid for the X-Pro2 with case, grip, spare battery and a couple of super fast 290mbs cards so this will now become my street / landscape / portrait kit with the DSLR for airshows and sport - an exercise in consolidation and I will keep the X-pro1 as a spare body.

I now just have to wait for the camera to arrive in Mar!