Xpro1 still worth buying? (06.15)

There is no other camera including any of the Leica models that can produce the Jpegs this camera does.

This is bittersweet for me. I love the form factor of the X-Pro 1 and would love to get one cheap as my everyday carry camera, but with those amazing JPGs, I'd want wifi to go with it. I've started posting unedited JPGs straight out of my X-T1, and on top of being liberating, I find I'm starting to appreciate the colour profiles more. 

I've been after a rangefinder styled body for a while, but the X-Pro 1 would need wifi to become my go-to camera. And Classic Chrome. :)

This is bittersweet for me. I love the form factor of the X-Pro 1 and would love to get one cheap as my everyday carry camera, but with those amazing JPGs, I'd want wifi to go with it. I've started posting unedited JPGs straight out of my X-T1, and on top of being liberating, I find I'm starting to appreciate the colour profiles more. 

I've been after a rangefinder styled body for a while, but the X-Pro 1 would need wifi to become my go-to camera. And Classic Chrome. :)

X-Pro2! :P

Hell, get the X100T. Classic Chrome, similar form as the Pro, wi-fi. If your current kit is the 18mm, 23mm and 35mm as your signature says, stripping down to just the 23mm of the X100 line shouldn't be an issue; there are the wide and telephoto converters, too. And unlike the X-Pro2, you won't be waiting until next year for it.

(Though Fuji's wi-fi functionality is utterly terrible, and I don't recommend anybody relies on it.)

When the Pro 1 was first released on offer with the 18/27mm lens combo, I decided to take a look.  Been a long time Canon user, and had played with Olympus (not happy with these).  From the very beginning I just loved the feel and quirkiness of the Pro 1.  More interestingly, and as many before me have commented, it reignited my passion for photography.  I loved using this camera.  Then I bought the T1.  I love that camera too, but the Pro had more soul.  Then a friend let me play with their X100T and I had a dilemma.  Eventually I took the plunge and bought the X100T with the two conversion lenses.  Now my go to camera is the X100T.  I LOVE THIS CAMERA.  I recently went on holiday to Berlin with my son, also a photographer.  He used a T1 and a Pro 1 with prime lenses (35 & 18).  I found I could add a converter lens faster than he could change a lens or swap cameras.  Also the weight factor was a joy, having used Canon for so many years.  My X100T combo is so light.

But where does this leave the Pro1?  Well I just bought a second body.  This camera is a classic already.  I still love using it.  It may have been pipped by the X100T for me, but there are still times when it's the right choice.  The only downside as I see it for buying one now or not, is whether you need a diopter to adjust it.  Some of these are harder to find than pixie dust.  So you might want to bare that in mind.  And as another writer put it, given the trade in value of the Pro 1 I'll be keeping mine for many years to come.  And I've very happy about that.

-I like the style, retro rangefinder look,

-It can use old or any brand lenses, except M4/3

-If you cannot afford a Leica, this is the one

-A Poorman's Leica

-Manual focus, no problem yet

-I bought it for $1700, now is a steal

-Hope they have an update again.

I bought mine a week ago with the 18/27 lenses + the 35 f1.4 and the 60 for portraits.

I also shoot canon and am keeping my 70D for video work.

My initial impressions.

- weight great

- handling fantastic and really interesting with the optical / EVF, feels like a real camera again, like film

- the 35 is fantastically sharp wide open, minimal purple fringing if any + accurate focussing, unlike the Canon 85 F1.8 which incidentally can't hold a candle to the Fuji 60 either (this isn't anti Canon, I still love canon, the 85 is just a respected benchmark)

- the focussing is better than Canon for me IF the object is relatively still, the new firmware works

So yes I am delighted, the XPro1 is simply capable of taking wonderful images and is beautiful thing in every sense

I am sure the lenses out resolve the sensor, and I know soon the XPro2 will arrive and be even better, but let's face it, I am most likely the limit when it comes to what the camera can do, it seems to be on par with a Canon 5D mk2

So the Xpro 1 is still a great buy. Forgot to say the 18mm is a good lens worth having and the lens I would never have bought, the 27mm is fantastic, amazingly sharp and tiny

@Mac Sinclair

“ the new firmware works...” of course you are aware of the fact that the X Pro 1 didn’t get firmware 4.0 ( which is the NEW firmware that everybody is talking about) so if by “ new firmware” you mean the last updated firmware that you can install on your camera that is dated December 2014, that is hardly NEW!

Other than that, well done, good luck!

Received it now, overall happy and paired it with my 35mm 1.4 but I really feel it needs the extra hand grip so it sits better in my hand otherwise feels like I'm going to drop it.

I don't really want to spend another $150 for the grip...I bought the body because it was priced very low.

As a person who had quite a substantial kit built around 2 x 5D2's and several L lenses, I can say with confidence that the X-Pro 1 is most definitely as good as the 5D2 in every way except the FF 21mp sensors ability to record a tad more detail.

For me, the X-Pro 1 focusing was way superior to the 5D2's shabby 9 point 1 cross hair AF, even for moving subjects. Maybe it's just thtat I learned to focus manually on the old A1's that allowed me to make good use of the X-Pro 1 AF.

The one other area that seems to be lackig on the Fuji system as a whole, is the speedlight set up - but I do believe they are starting to catch up on that front, albeit slowly.

I did some great stuff using my 5D2's - but the X-Pro 1 would have made many of those shoots even better, of that I have no doubt.

it seems to be on par with a Canon 5D mk2

I come from a humble X series background of a used X100 . As soon as it arrived my D700 became redundant . I loved my X100 (still do). Realising the X series was the way forward I purchased the XT1 a great fast camera but I missed that X100 experience . I found a cheap used X-Pro1 and wow what a camera . It fits my larger hands with grip attached perfectly . It's the camera I get the most pleasure from using especially when my 35mm is attached .

It's the photographers version of that little black dress number !!!