Has Steve Huff "Lost It"?

Steve Huff is very much a person given to hyperbole.

I only visit his site occasionally because it is fanboys anonymous. I do like that it is not driven by negativity but the opposite is almost as tedious.

He does love Sony and Leica however his paeans to the A9 are more fulsome than most. He is not entirely accurate in his description of the e-shutter in the A-9 but has succumbed, as many have, to the hype surrounding it.

As he doesn't use flash much he completely overlooks the mortal origins of Sony's shutter.

Yes the A9 is nice, but is not Jesus.

>>As I've said elsewhere in other posts, you have to appreciate the fact that Sony keeps pushing forward. Sony really started the mirrorless craze as predicted by Trey Ratcliff years ago and now they've eliminated the shutter. That's the big news here. It's now an all digital camera. No moving parts. And they will keep refining until they make it damn near perfect. <<

Actually that is not accurate. That is the the idea Sony wants you to believe but the shutter is actually a conventional mechanical one with an e-shutter on steroids. It is an advance to be sure but the e-shutter was first available on Panasonic µ43 cameras. The principle is basically RAW video frame capture.The idea was so good that other ML makers copied it despite the issues of rolling shutter. Sony has engineered a very fast e-shutter readout thus overcoming most of the problems of e-shutters.

The main shortcoming remains: no flash with e-shutter.

• 4 months later...

I don't follow Steve Huff but tens years ago when Sony changed the software interface on my playstation without asking me ...I decided I would never ever buy a Sony product again.

And so far I haven't. So however good their camera was. even if it was able to make me toast and coffee in the morning and bring it to me in bed.........I still wouldnt buy it :)

What gets me is when people compare a $4500 camera against a $1600 camera and claim that it's NOT better, simply because they're too attached to their $1600 camera, and don't personally use the advantages offered by the more expensive camera. 

That's also not the only difference APS-C for the Fuji and Full-frame for the Sony, so in my simple mind there is no comparison to be made. I would compare it to Leica SL, and all the other full-frame cameras but not to an APS-C. As RadBadTad says "The a9 isn't competing against the X-T2, it's competing against the 1Dx, and the D5. "

The A9 is not addressing the same market as the X-t2. It's comparing oranges to apples. The X-t2 is the perfect camera at a reasonable size and price for some people, including me. However it is not at all in the same league as the A9 when it comes to sports photography. Sony are trying to make a professional mirrorless camera that can compete on equal terms with the top of the range Canons and Nikons and it is priced accordingly. The new Nikon D850 has probably trumped it because of its 45.7 megabits but Sony will no doubt fix that with an A9II. Sony are clearly the innovaters in mirrorless but that doesn't mean that they make the best camera for you or me. There is no such thing as a camera that can do everything well and Fuji have addressed a market that Canikon didn't realise was important. Being an innovater doesn't necessarily lead to success either. Minolta were the chief innovaters at one time and they ended up being swallowed up by Konica and then Sony. I don't think that Fuji has any intention of designing an A9 competitor, and that is a good thing.

This is going to get to be a neve-ending and at times interesting discussion. I am happy with my choice of X-T2 and I am using flash studio and mobile! Manual mode, no TTL, just adjusting the flash power ratio haven't come across any problems unsurmountable yet.

What I would say is that I am very disappointed with Cactus 6 II and getting them to work with Fuji, I think the firmware still needs work on the Cactus side, it is so unreliable.