Which 50/60mm to buy?

I've had the new XF 50mm f/2 for several weeks now and am very impressed with the IQ, build quality and autofocus for the price. Bokeh is in the eye of the beholder, but I find it pleasant enough. 

The Pentax Asahi Takumar 55mm f1.8 and Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.4 have a lot of discussion around them on the web and its all good.

I have the Takumar 55/1.8

You can read about my experience with this lens and see some sample images at my site -> http://adamwoodhousephotography.ca/vintage-gear/pentax-asahi-55mm-f1-8/

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

the 60 has much versatility and you will use it for close up photography as well as for portrait.

As for adapting I have lots of adapted lenses and they all perform very well, lenses above the 1.4 to 1.2 are very soft fully open but as soon you stop them down to 2 or thereabout they are as sharp as a needle too.

Hello all!

I'm looking for a cheap prime lens with focal lenght between 50mm and 60mm for portrait on my Fuji xt1. I tried to adapt Nikon 50mm, ai series and also d series, but I do not like it so much. I hope to find a good lens (no vintage like helios lenses) with a creamy bokeh.. what do you suggest?

Thank you,

Matt

Hi

I adapted a 30+ year old Petri 50mm F/2 (Pentax K mount) with reasonable good results, I can't lay my hands on any examples atm; however, I expect that like most lenses there are good and bad copies, and when buying second hand you take your chances (lens was a gift, but i've seen them for around £20 on ebay, adapter cost <£20)

Honestly it does not get a lot of use as most of my portrait work is done with either the XF 35 F/1.4 (outside) and the XF 60 F/2.4 (studio)

good luck

edit

if i didn't own any of the above i'd be tempted to try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JFZU424/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2II1N5L6NB9B0&coliid=I2RDM1TRU95IG1&psc=1

Edited by Tikcus

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestion.

@qiki, about the new 50mm Fuji I'm sure it is a new wonderfull lens but and also the price is good compared with other lenses but too High for a 50mm, that's my opinion. In this way, spending an half of the total price, I can buy the Nikon 50 1.4 afs G.. but as I told you before, I prefer a longer focal lenght.

@Adam, the suggested konica 57mm looks interesting and prices on ebay are cheap. I will try to find it.

@Milandro, the 60mm is a good lens and I bought it with my xt1 and a 35mm 1.4.. but I had not a good feeling with this lens..

@tikcus, about the suggestion of neewer 50mm, the price is absolutely perfect but I'm not sure about the lens quality.. I will find informations and examples on internet!

Thank you very much for everything.

Inviato dal mio ALE-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk

Well, maybe part of the “ not good feeling” might be derived from the absurd lens hood.

I have found an outstanding way around it. As for sharpness, there are few lenses which can rival with this. I have other lenses for the “ bokeh” if and when I want it ( which is not always)

Sent from home with a great keyboard and a comfortably big screen! ( per favore disabilita, nelle preferenze, la pubblicità di Tapatalk, non aggiunge nulla alla qualità dei tuoi post ed è solo pubblicità gratuita! please disable , in the preferences the free ad for tapatalk, it adds nothing to the quality of your posts and is only a free ad)

come fare , trova qui, http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=84527

Edited by milandro

...please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

Edited by milandro

@Milandro, the problem of feeling is not for the hood, it is only due to the produced images. Fuji lenses produce "cold portrait".. let me say, I don't like so much the ratio between focused and defocused area. At the moment I have only the 35mm 1.4 lens because for my use of this object it could bè suitable for my standard. At the moment I use for great part of my portraits a samyang 85mm 1.4.. amazing!! You can see an example in the devoted area in the forum updated some minutes ago..

I was facing the same dilemma and I opted for the 60mm Macro 2.4 over the 50 f2.  Why?  First because I wanted the extra close-focus of the 60, secondly I got it for a great price brand new of $479.00 US.  I was torn though, that choice could have gone either way!  I will say that after using the 60 wide open at 2.4 I marvel at the sharpness and clarity.  It may be the 50 F2 does the same, but I'll never know.

So far I'm rather happy with my 60.

Between the 60 and 50 F2, I'd choose the 60 anyday.

Having never used the XF-50 F/2, but owning the XF 60 F/2.4, I can't see a reason to buy it.

But the OP is looking for cheaper glass and I suspect not a debate on which XF lens is better :) 

Having never used the XF-50 F/2, but owning the XF 60 F/2.4, I can't see a reason to buy it.

But the OP is looking for cheaper glass and I suspect not a debate on which XF lens is better :)

Thanks for reigning me back on track. Luckily, the rrp for the 60 is still cheaper than the 50. :) 

@Aswald, I agree with you, for a quite similar aperture we have a long focal lenght and an interesting minimum distance for focusing. But I had had it and I don't like it so much. I hope to find a really large aperture and a wonderfull creamy bokeh..

56 and 90 has the best bokeh. The 90 probably has the best picture iq of all the xf lenses. In that respect, I couldn't fault the lens at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of buying the Fuji 50mm but decided for the 60mm. Why, because the 60mm has the option for macro, something I've never done before and I was not sure I'm going to like it. It's a kind of " Free " option in the 60 mm lens. Did do some research on the internet and spoke with some photographers and try the lenses. That made me help to decide and as you already know the 60mm was my choice.

So my advice is " Try before you buy".

Did use it for portrait and street (Carnaval) and I like the use and the outcome. So now I'm thinking should I buy the 35mm f/2 or the f/1.4 ? No hurry because I have the 27mm (my most used lens).

Another suggestion for a 55mm lens would be a Minolta MC Rokkor PF 55mm f/1.7 lens. I was given one of these recently and bought a cheap adapter to mount it on my X-Pro2. It looks and works really well, super sharp if stopped down just a bit and nice bokeh between f/1.7 - 2.8. This lens was made in the millions in the late 60s to early 70s as a kit lens with the SRT101, it will be really cheap on eBay now. This guy also had a good experience with it:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2013/06/27/the-tale-of-the-minolta-55mm-f1-7/

I have had great results with the Zeiss 50 1.4, C/Y mount. $250 - $350 oneBay. Gorgeous images from flowers to portraits and probably anything else. I also have the Pentax 50 1.4 Tak which can be had for around $100.00 or less and arguably as good as any Leica or Zeiss lens at the time (1960's). Check out the Canon FD's as well. You simply can't go wrong with the above 3 lenses.

I've had the new XF 50mm f/2 for several weeks now and am very impressed with the IQ, build quality and autofocus for the price. Bokeh is in the eye of the beholder, but I find it pleasant enough.

I've been using it for a week, and it's fantastic. Very sharp, creamy bokeh, great rendering.

Fuji XF 50mm would be the first choice.  It would be money well spent and save you from finding a good used copy of a lens to adapt.

if that is out of your range than super takumar 50 1.4.  you have to get an adapter without the ring in it for the M42 aperture pin, or remove it yourself.  Usually you need a super small screwdriver or hex.

Voigtlander SLII 58mm 1.4 in Nikon mount, but that is more expense than the Fuji.

Another suggestion for a 55mm lens would be a Minolta MC Rokkor PF 55mm f/1.7 lens. I was given one of these recently and bought a cheap adapter to mount it on my X-Pro2. It looks and works really well, super sharp if stopped down just a bit and nice bokeh between f/1.7 - 2.8. This lens was made in the millions in the late 60s to early 70s as a kit lens with the SRT101, it will be really cheap on eBay now. This guy also had a good experience with it:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2013/06/27/the-tale-of-the-minolta-55mm-f1-7/

Yes.  Initially when i started with the Fuji system, using my X-E1 I had my old Minolta 58mm 1.4 and THAT WAS TACK SHARP!  I loved the lens.  And fast!