X100F Rear Command Dial & Q Menu - scrolling activates selection

On my Fuji x100F my Rear Command Dial is very sensitive. Attempting to scroll within 1 of the 16 slots in the Q Menu to review choices is almost impossible. I can't scroll without inadvertently pressing the dial in (which makes a selection and de-activates the Q-menu).

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or is my Rear Command Dial defective?

Any help would be appreciated. 

I'm afraid I wasn't clear. I'm not trying to move around between the 16 Q-menu options. I'm trying to use the Rear Command Dial (RCD) to change what's selected within one Q-Menu option (the highlighted one). If I use my thumb on the very right-hand edge of the RCD it sometimes scrolls through the options for the highlighted cell, for example the C-1 to C-7. But most of the time, when using the right-hand edge, I end up pressing the RCD in. 

What I'm wondering is if this behavior for the RCD is normal (so easy to press the RCD in to make a selection), or if my particular x100 F has an issue. Thanks.

Mike, I appreciate your help. I don't have an X-T2, so I can't compare it's behavior to the xpro2 or the x100F. After comparing my xpro2 and the x100F, I think my x100F is a bad copy. I'm now planning on returning it (it's still under the 30 day period) and ordering a new one.

I would like to hear from any others with an x100F whether they are having this problem or not. Again, Thanks, Mike.

I just tried it on my X100F.  

On the Q menu, it is easy to rotate the rear command dial to the selection.  The first time I tried it I never accidentally pushed the button in.  The second time I pushed it in a couple of times while playing around but realizing it, it was quite easy to avoid and go right to my selection.

It is interesting how different features appeal to different people.  I am probably in the minority but I never used the Q menu on my X100s in about 3 years of use and I don't use it now on my X100F.

Edited by neal3K

neal3K, thanks for responding. Are you talking using the RCD to move between the 16 options displayed or about moving with the choices within 1 of the 16 options?

How did you avoid pressing in the RCD ("it was quite easy to avoid and go right to my selection")?

Thanks for your help.

I understand that you're using the RCD to move between the 16 options. I did try your technique of resting my thumb on the camera body & sliding it across the RCD with somewhat better results, but I still often end up inadvertently making a selection when I only wanted to scroll through the options.

In the Q-Menu, for scrolling to the location of 1 of the 16 options, I find the joystick or d-pad to works fine, However, they do not work within a highlighted "cell" to review the options stored there.

Do me a favor and try using the RCD within 1 of the 16 options to change what's selected, for example, within the custom settings (C1, C2, C3, etc.). Do you then find you are selecting C5 etc as you scroll through C1 to C7 when you did not intend to?

If you would, let me know if you sometimes / frequently make an unintended selection using the RCD within any 1 of the 16 choices. 

I'm trying to determine if the behavior of my RCD is normal or if it bad.

I've also found that sometimes I have to press my Q-button twice to get the options to display.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

I'm glad to help a fellow Fuji fan.  As you suggested, I selected the custom settings and scrolled through C1 through C7 with the RCD.  No problem at all.  It went and stayed wherever I selected without the selector pushing in.

As I mentioned, I don't use the Q button but in testing it about a dozen times, it always opens the Q menu the first time.

I hope this is helping you decide what to do.

I am a bit relieved (sorry, I know that's selfish!) to hear about someone else having that issue. When I raised this in another forum I got a lot of weird looks and "you need to be more gentle" types of comments... I'm having the same problem with my X100F that I got in February. RCD is way too sensitive and I keep on depressing it while trying to scroll. No such issue with front wheel. I subsequently tried the demo model in a store and it definitely did not have that problem. I am now waiting for a replacement for mine.

Let us know how your replacement works out for you!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I received the second x100F camera and it had the same issue with the rear command dial (RCD).

THE ISSUE: It was almost impossible to scroll through the options inside 1 of the 16 positions in the Q menu without activating an unintended choice. For example, trying to scroll through the choices for Base, C1, C2,  to C7.

I returned the second x100F. The first two x100F models were both silver (not black). I order a third x100F, this time in black. I received it yesterday and it does NOT have the issue with the RCD. The dial behaves as does the RCD on the other fuji cameras I own. It is easy to scroll through options and then press in to select the one I want. I could NOT do this with the 2 prior silver x100F bodies. 

I do not know if this RCD issue is only on the silver models. Perhaps some other forum members can talk about their experiences with both the silver & black models.

I'm pleased to finally have a x100F that function properly.

My advice: if you order or have an x100F, be sure you are happy with the behavior of the RCD. If not, then return it or get it repaired. The behavior described at the top of this post is NOT normal.

• 4 weeks later...

Comparing the RCD on my (silver) F model with that on the (silver) T model, the F dial has apparently been "beefed up" - it looks metalic and large, rather than black plastic and smaller as it is on my T.  Importantly, the detentes on the F model are definitely more robust, and it takes greater pressure on the dial to spin it when changing a Q menu item setting.  Although I don't usually use the Q menu (too many items to memorize, and hidden visual cues about alternative settings), I can see how the new RCD on the F would result in an accidental activation of a setting.

• 3 weeks later...

My silver X100F has the same issue.  I assumed it was just a design "feature" and never considered that it might be fix-able.  Drives me nuts and really slows me down when I need to change things (it affects me most when trying to turn the flash on and off).  I think I'm going to look into doing something about it.

Thanks for the thread!

m_lance, sorry to hear about your silver x100 F has this issue. As you can see from above, I went through 3 units before I found one that had the RCD operating properly.  Both the units I returned were within the merchant's 30-day return period. I hope you're able to get yours repaired/replaced under the Fujifilm 1-year warranty.