Wireless Trigger X-T2 and Nikon SB-700

Dan M

Hi, 

Would like some advice on the best wireless triggers that I can use on the X-T2 for use with the Nikon SB-700 for off-camera flash. I don't really want to buy a new flash at the moment and if this can work it would be great! Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Daniel

Well the X-T2 comes with a mini-flash that I assume is designed primarily to activate any slave unit, though probably one that's designed specifically for the SB-700 would be a good choice.

In another thread here, I recall seeing some users reporting that sync works best at 1/200 rather than 1/250 in many cases.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny thing I used to mount my Nikon SB700 on my X-E1 (very top heavy) but it was fun to use, and it worked in manual!  I'm still confused as to how to use my SB700 on my X-T1 and X-T2.  I also have the Fuji EF42 but I'm never happy with the output.

So the cactus triggers will work with my gear above?  Anyone?

Edited by jlmphotos

Funny thing I used to mount my Nikon SB700 on my X-E1 (very top heavy) but it was fun to use, and it worked in manual! I'm still confused as to how to use my SB700 on my X-T1 and X-T2. I also have the Fuji EF42 but I'm never happy with the output.

So the cactus triggers will work with my gear above? Anyone?

Be careful with Nikon flash on Fujifilm camera. I read somewhere that Canon flash causes overheating issue. Not because of wrong voltages (although that may also be true) but because of different protocols - the chip in the camera receives command it has no idea how to process and (most probably) on wrong pins which leads to increased chip temperatures. At least that was the explanation.

I am also interested in this. I have a flash left from my Nikon setup (Metz 50 Af-1) and am looking for a way to use it with my X-T2 ...

Whoever gave you that explanation has no idea what they're talking about, or how electronics work. It's because differing pin layouts mean that the Canon flash or cable is shorting the pin that supplies power to the little flash that comes with the camera to another pin. The short circuit caused heat and likely damage to at least the camera, and maybe the flash.

Whoever gave you that explanation has no idea what they're talking about, or how electronics work. It's because differing pin layouts mean that the Canon flash or cable is shorting the pin that supplies power to the little flash that comes with the camera to another pin. The short circuit caused heat and likely damage to at least the camera, and maybe the flash.

That could very well be the cause. Actually, it is in Rico Pfirstinger’s latest book “The Fujifilm X-T2: 120 X-Pert Tips“. Check Tip 24. Link to the book: http://www.rockynook.com/shop/photography/the-fujifilm-x-t2/?ref=12/

Here is the part explaining it:

"Canon-compatible flash devices (e.g., flash units or radio transmitters) can lead to an overload of the X-Pro2’s processor and result in overheating (you’ll see the related overheating warnings if this happens), so there’s reason to believe that the X-T2 may also be affected. It’s caused by incompatible Canon/Fuji TTL flash protocols that are routed through compatible flash contacts, as described in the previous tip.

This problem can even occur when you are using your Canon-compatible flash gear in full manual mode without any expectation of TTL exposure control. You might want a simple trigger signal, but what you get are colliding protocols with adverse side effects."

Edited by etomcat

• 1 month later...

I would offer some caution on the Cactus system. I just purchased the V6 II transceiver and the RF60X flash......no hss on my XT2. I've watched 30 YouTube explanations and followed Cactus forum steps to perfection. Still no hss.

Now looking for another answer.