XPro2 - Firmware Problem? AF is happening in MF mode

Advice and opinions requested about this.

I was just about to place an order for a new X-Pro2 on the instant rebate offer that just began in the US. As I plan to use this camera for the OVF on Manual Focus with BBF, this issue could be a deal breaker. I plan to start with the 50mm/f2 and 35/1.4 lenses, BTW.

Is this affecting the X100F, or would that be an alternative?

Is this the sort of thing that Fuji tends to sort out and fix quickly, or should I just go for a different non-OVF body, such as the X-T2?

Thank you,

JR

In case it's helpful, jrhudgins1, I've tested thoroughly with all my Fuji lenses (including the 50mm f2 and the 35 f1.4) and I can report that I do NOT have this problem on either my X-Pro2 or my X-100F; so it's not a universal problem. Both cameras have the latest firmware.

I've been testing this today with my XP2

I have the issue on my camera

I don't have the issue with the 56 or the 23/1.4

I have it with my two 35s, and the F2 advances the focus point faster and possibly a greater distance with each half press of the shutter than the 1.4

I also tested if it's actually moving focus or just moving the focus indicator bar, and the answer is

Focus is actually changing

I've dropped Fuji a line (FWIW)

What is the common element?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Seems to be a combo of the new WR lenses and the new firmware.

I went to B&H recently, tried it on the X100F again, didn't see the issue while testing it inside this time. I also tried the 23mm 1.4, no problems there. 

I know Fuji USA didn't see the issue in dark lighting conditions. It wasn't until they went a bright area that they were able to tell me they had the issue as well. 

I went to B&H recently, tried it on the X100F again, didn't see the issue while testing it inside this time. I also tried the 23mm 1.4, no problems there. 

I know Fuji USA didn't see the issue in dark lighting conditions. It wasn't until they went a bright area that they were able to tell me they had the issue as well. 

Anyone who reports it would be super helpful. It's the only way we are going to get a fix. Honestly, this issue renders the OVF useless. You can only use it with the hybrid focus screen engaged, or on AF mode, which is obviously not what it is designed to be used with. 

My 35 f1.4 does it, so it's the older lenses as well

It's odd that my 56 doesn't seem to do it...

I think the 23/1.4 MIGHT not do it because of the focus clutch... be interesting to hear from someone with the 14 and 16 on that

I'm 90% sure mine takes repeated half presses of the shutter button to move focus, so if I BBF and shoot it's ok, if I BBF, go to shoot then change my mind, then after that go to shoot again the focus moves a smidgen

Interesting.

When you guys are talking about BBF, is your procedure to hyper-focus and then hold down the back button AF to lock it? I'm a little confused about that. If you're shooting in MF I don't see how BBF can be beneficial. 

My 35 f1.4 does it, so it's the older lenses as well

It's odd that my 56 doesn't seem to do it...

I think the 23/1.4 MIGHT not do it because of the focus clutch... be interesting to hear from someone with the 14 and 16 on that

My 23/1.4 does it, as well as my 35/1.4. The 16/1.4 does not.

Interesting.

When you guys are talking about BBF, is your procedure to hyper-focus and then hold down the back button AF to lock it? I'm a little confused about that. If you're shooting in MF I don't see how BBF can be beneficial.

Well I can't speak for everyone, but for me BBF is just a way to get the focus somewhere close to where i want without turning the focusing ring a great number of times

I would then turn the focus ring a bit if needed to nail focus to where I want after a BBF run

In manual focus mode, the back button focus (for 100% clarity that's what I mean by BBF) can be set to either perform a continuous AF run or a single run (I have single)

There's not really a 'lock' in this mode

The camera only performs a AF run and lock if pressing the BBF button in AF mode.

Edited by adzman808

If we review the content of this thread we see that different examples of the same lenses (and camera!) are behaving differently to each other and some say they're not having the issue at all

This makes it harder for Fuji to fix I guess...

Has anyone tried a system reset?

I would try but SO many settings to put back in place again!

If we review the content of this thread we see that different examples of the same lenses (and camera!) are behaving differently to each other and some say they're not having the issue at all

This makes it harder for Fuji to fix I guess...

Has anyone tried a system reset?

I would try but SO many settings to put back in place again!

No need for it. I already tried a camera and setting reset on several bodies, made no difference. 

The same issue happened to me after updating to 3.10. Not only exist on manual settings but also with Auto exposure mode as I noticed a that later. This problem is horrible as it makes the ovf totally anusable. But there is some more. Turning to the hybrid ovf to solve the broblem a new bug appears. This occurs only in manual exposure mode and it is a huge under exposure. Depending the lighting conditions is up to 2.5 f stop. I suppose people buys the x-pro 1-2 because of the ovf. So i hope that Fuji will make soon our cameras workable again.

Just got this email:

=====================

Date: 19 June 2017 at 09:48:47 WEST

To: Mr Bonn <adam.bonn@xxxxx>

Subject: Your query regarding Fujifilm

Ask Fujifilm

Dear Mr Bonn,

Thank you for contacting Fujifilm UK.

Fujifilm in Japan are working on a firmware upgrade to fix this phenomenon. It will be announced as soon as it is available.

We apologise for this inconvenience.

Kind regards

The Fujifilm X World Team

=======================

I can't imagine it's worth asking WHEN as Fuji UK are unlikely to know and let's be honest the recent historical FW releases have been announced as "coming late May" so I doubt we'll get a cast iron date

Still on the plus side, it sounds like Fuji are acknowledging there's an issue and are working to rectify it

So PERSONALLY I'm not that unhappy, had this email said something like 'we can't replicate the problem, have you tried a system reset, beyond that we don't have any suggestions' then I'd have been pretty far from happy

So now we wait for the next FW.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam,

I had a similar problem -- my X-Pro2 with 18-55 would focus closer every time I half-pressed the shutter when in manual focus mode. It also wouldn't autofocus to infinity and made some scratching noises while focusing. (I updated everything to the latest firmware version after charging the batteries and before other use, so I can't compare it to earlier versions.) Since I was new to the Fuji ecosystem and wasn't sure what to expect, and since I had a 30-day return window, I figured I'd just exercise it and see what happened. After one day of light use, the autofocus started hitting infinity; after two days, the noise and half-press focus issues went away entirely. I also never had any of these issues with my 23/2. My guess is that the problem was in the older lens, which I purchased used from a dealer and might have been sitting around for quite some time.

I know this doesn't address your issue specifically, but perhaps it helps to validate the issue and provide another datapoint for Fuji to understand what's going on.

Cheers,

Jon

I have the same problem. Easy to reproduce . With both the xf 23mm f/2 and the xf 18mm f/2. 

OVF, manual focus, manual aperture and manual shutter speed . ISO settings has no influence. If you set either the aperture or shutter speed to A, it works fine. A strange bug...

Hopefully there will be a fix soon. You could of course set it to EVF, so not that critical, but rather annoying ;-)

my 'worst offending' lens is my 35F2 WR, which is also my most modern

It's clearly a bug!

We wait for the FW... it doesn't appear that Fuji are rushing to do a FW just to fix this... (it is what it is)

The begin with the XP2 wouldn't return to automatically switching OVF magnifications, if you'd manually overridden them, that was a bigger bug IMO (YMMV) and that didn't get it's own special FW update

Some days I miss the X-Pro1 a little.... :D

My little contribution,

Happens here too. X-Pro2 FW3.10, all lenses with the last FW today 

o 23F2, 35F1.4, 10-24F4, all these shows the same bug.

o 56F1.4, 55-200F3.5-4.8 the MF bug DO NOT APPEARS.

Common point. Short focal length MF bug appears. From Normal (35) to Wide Angle (10-24).

It seems that in telephoto there is no issue.

I, too, have this problem on my X100F, which I returned to Fuji for repair. They replaced the lens and the main board to no avail, and are now saying this is a firmware issue. I understand that Fuji Japan knows about it, and is working on a fix, but there's no date for release yet.

(I first noticed the issue with Firmware 1.00; the upgrade to 1.01 made it worse. Indeed, it seems that some cameras that were OK with Firmware 1.00 showed the problem when upgraded to 1.01!)

Edited by darti

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received a replacement X100F. It has firmware 1.01. Unsurprisingly, it has exactly the same focus-distance creep when using manual focus with the OVF as my previous camera.  :(

But I've discovered a sort of work-around, that may work for X-Pro2 users as well. Turn on the OVF focus preview (by pushing the viewfinder selector on the front of the camera to the left - towards the lense - to toggle the little 'EVF' rectangle at the bottom right of the OVF). When OVF focus preview is on, the focus distance stays exactly where you put it, with no sign of creeping up the scale when you press the shutter release.

Clearly this problem is OVF-related. (It affects both of the recent versions of Fuji's OVF cameras when they're in OVF-only mode.) Let's hope the Fuji engineers get a firmware fix soon!

Edited by darti