XPro2 - Firmware Problem? AF is happening in MF mode

Hey guys,

Just downloaded the new firmware 3.0 update, having a very strange problem, wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it.

When the shutter, aperture, ISO, and focus are in manual mode, using the OVF only, the focus point focuses slowly towards infinity every time the shutter is half or fully pressed.

For example, in full manual mode and manual focus mode, if I set the focal point to 2’, each time the shutter is pressed half or full way, it will slowly focus towards infinity. It takes about 15-20 half or full clicks to go from 2’ to infinity in MF mode. Through my testing I have found that by engaging the hybrid OVF, or using the EVF, this effect does not happen with the same camera settings.

Using an automatic shutter speed, ISO, or aperture also remedies the issue with the same settings. I have also found that using certain shutter speeds, like 1/30th and below remedy the effect. I have tested using different lenses, batteries, and memory cards and found that the effect is still present. I have reset the camera and body settings to no avail.  

Lenses being used to test are 23mm f/2 WR, 35mm f/2 WR, and 56mm f/1.2. The effect was not noticeable on the 56mm however. 

My general go-to settings are f/11, 1/500th, ISO 1600, manual focus with 23mm f/2 WR – where the effect is fully present.

This problem started during my first shoot with the new firmware 3.0 update. 

*** Edit:

Here is a video download of the issue happening. I have just received a replacement Xpro2 from direct from Fuji and the same effect is happening on both bodies. 

https://youtu.be/KXYJ4oJZmdY

Edited by koromp_11225

Update: I got on the phone with Fuji USA and this is a problem happening in all of their XPro2 bodies. I got a replacement body so I could send mine in but, it was happening on the rental that came directly from Fuji as well. 

It is believed to be a firmware issue and the senior technician is passing this on to Hong Kong for review and next steps. 

The effect is dependent upon the lighting conditions so when they were trying it in a dark room, nothing happened. However, when they shot in daylight conditions the focus point was moving from 2' to infinity, on manual focus in about 15 clicks. 

Edited by koromp_11225

I have the same problem with firmware 3.0.  It is very prevalent with the f/2.0 lenses. 

On my 56mm and 16-55mm it slides in reverse.  The symptoms are just as you have described, on 8 of my 10 lenses that are effected.   I don't use OVF on my other 2 zooms. 

Hoping for a fast firmware update.

Fujifilm cameras compensate for focus shift in manual focus mode when you half press the shutter button. It seems that with the X-Pro2, when releasing the button, it overshoots the original focus distance, which is why you're seeing that creep towards infinity for most lenses. This seems to be more pronounce at smaller apertures (I tested at f/11). At f/1.4 and f/2.0, there's no movement at all. I haven't tested at any other apertures.

• 1 month later...

Has Fuji acknowledged this officially?    This happens with my X-Pro 2 and the 35 f/2 and 23 f/2 lenses.     It seems to happen most often after the camera is shut off and turned back on.   Subsequent shutter presses in MF will causes the focus distance to creep towards infinity.  Very annoying for street shooting and makes MF quite annoying in this case.   I'm on firmware 3.1.

Firmware 3.1 did not address the issue.

Fuji USA has acknowledged the issue. I still have been trying to get an update about them passing it along to Japan to be fixed. They said that sometimes it can take a long time for low priority problems. Unfortunately a lot of people don't use the camera like this so not many people are noticing.

The best thing you can do is call in to report the issue. I will keep pressing for them to fix it, it really effects my shooting style. I am trying to see if they can revert my firmware to 2.0 to hopefully alleviate the issue.

Firmware 3.1 did not address the issue.

Fuji USA has acknowledged the issue. I still have been trying to get an update about them passing it along to Japan to be fixed. They said that sometimes it can take a long time for low priority problems. Unfortunately a lot of people don't use the camera like this so not many people are noticing.

The best thing you can do is call in to report the issue. I will keep pressing for them to fix it, it really effects my shooting style. I am trying to see if they can revert my firmware to 2.0 to hopefully alleviate the issue.

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear they've at least acknowledged it then.  I'll call in and when I do let you know what I hear as well. 

I noticed the same effect on my X100F after I installed the 1.01 firmware update. Both my X-Pro 2 bodies didn't have the issue with firmware 3.0 but started showing it after I updated to 3.1 a week ago.

Hopefully Fuji will address this soon as it is a real showstopper for me. I use all of my cameras in MF with back-button focus.

There is no error message, it's only that the focus moved out a little with every half-press of the shutter release. Interestingly, the effect occurs only when I use the OVF. In EVF mode and in OVF+focus window in the lower right corner things work OK.

There is no error message, it's only that the focus moved out a little with every half-press of the shutter release. Interestingly, the effect occurs only when I use the OVF. In EVF mode and in OVF+focus window in the lower right corner things work OK.

This has been reported and documented a few times. Sadly, Fuji didn't seem to care, because the bug persists in the very latest firmware revisions for the X-Pro2 and X100F. 

A simple workaround is to enable the ERF in MF mode. 

I actually discovered that this problem is happening when an auto setting engaged (ex: auto shutter, auto ISO, etc) - was not what I saw before.

This means that the OVF in manual focus mode is essentially useless. And it's so difficult to see your frame properly in auto focus that the OVF might as well not even be there with the firmware update as it is. 

OVF + Focus window works but, it is so distracting that it just is saddening. 

OVF + Focus window works but, it is so distracting that it just is saddening. 

Exactly my feeling. I was very happy with all the Fuji firmware updates I got since I bought my first X100. But this issue is a real dealbreaker as I use back-button focus almost exclusively.