X-T2 ongoing issues

KWGeorge

This is my first post here as I have been more of a lurker I guess. However now I would like to ask some questions but also tell my Fuji X-T2 sad tale as it may help someone else that is having the issue I am having with this camera. Prior to the X-T2 coming out I got all swept up in the Fuji hype and went all in not to replace my current system mind you but rather to add a much smaller and lighter option to it for travel and such. I pre-ordered the camera from B&H and waited about a month before it was delivered. I was so excited until I started experiencing every bug reported in the camera such as Continuous focus mode lockups, memory card corruption and so on. Also, every image seemed soft and the background seemed as if you were looking at it through a piece of antique glass. Now to Fuji’s credit the firmware updates did fix most of the issues except for the softness in the images.

In order to address the softness I have read and tried everything including purchasing Plugins, Software and E-Books but still the images look dull. With all that every time someone said how great the Fuji lenses were and how SHARP they were my head would almost explode! Are these people crazy!!! Then today as I was tuning the focus on a newer Prime I picked up for my Nikon DSLR system and I thought well why not try this testing process on my Fuji. Well I quickly learned that when the camera locks focus it is not where the lens thinks focus is. It seems as though it is back focusing (Which I did not know a mirrorless could do). So, I thought maybe this is just that lens so I tried them all both Primes and Zooms that I own and on all of them the camera focus locks on the parallel target but the actual focus point is well behind that. (I also tried a SonyA7II with a prime and it is fine so it’s not the setup)

If you would like to see an example here is a random shot from today cropped for ease of viewing.

https://flic.kr/p/SupVDd

Now the questions, has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have experience with Fuji warranty service? How long does it take? I go to Disney World the first part of next month and it looks like I will not be taking the Fuji which is sad considering that’s why it was purchased.

Thanks so much..

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a few issues with my XT2 also but it was nothing I couldn't work around. The firmware updates completely fixed it. 

From the image you posted, it definitely looks like it's back focusing I didn't think mirrorless cameras could do this either. Just out of curiosity, how big of a focus point are you using for your tests? 

I would send it back to Fuji ASAP if you want to use it at Disney next month. I haven't sent any of my cameras back for service yet but I've read about others who have received their cameras back with a week or so. Also include a letter explaining that you bought the camera for that trip and wish to use it, maybe they'll try to speed up your service. When I called Fuji service the rep said that if I overnighted the camera to them, they would overnight it back to me once it was fixed. 

This is my first post here as I have been more of a lurker I guess. However now I would like to ask some questions but also tell my Fuji X-T2 sad tale as it may help someone else that is having the issue I am having with this camera. Prior to the X-T2 coming out I got all swept up in the Fuji hype and went all in not to replace my current system mind you but rather to add a much smaller and lighter option to it for travel and such. I pre-ordered the camera from B&H and waited about a month before it was delivered. I was so excited until I started experiencing every bug reported in the camera such as Continuous focus mode lockups, memory card corruption and so on. Also, every image seemed soft and the background seemed as if you were looking at it through a piece of antique glass. Now to Fuji’s credit the firmware updates did fix most of the issues except for the softness in the images.

In order to address the softness I have read and tried everything including purchasing Plugins, Software and E-Books but still the images look dull. With all that every time someone said how great the Fuji lenses were and how SHARP they were my head would almost explode! Are these people crazy!!! Then today as I was tuning the focus on a newer Prime I picked up for my Nikon DSLR system and I thought well why not try this testing process on my Fuji. Well I quickly learned that when the camera locks focus it is not where the lens thinks focus is. It seems as though it is back focusing (Which I did not know a mirrorless could do). So, I thought maybe this is just that lens so I tried them all both Primes and Zooms that I own and on all of them the camera focus locks on the parallel target but the actual focus point is well behind that. (I also tried a SonyA7II with a prime and it is fine so it’s not the setup)

If you would like to see an example here is a random shot from today cropped for ease of viewing.

https://flic.kr/p/SupVDd

Now the questions, has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have experience with Fuji warranty service? How long does it take? I go to Disney World the first part of next month and it looks like I will not be taking the Fuji which is sad considering that’s why it was purchased.

Thanks so much..

My question would be:  Why didn't you return it?  CAN you still return it?  

I know, I know, not helpful, but I'm always logical in my responses whenever I can.   And, I looked at the image but I don't do charts..... However, I thought back focusing/frontfocusing was not possible on a mirrorless camera.  It seems I learned something new today.

Edited by jlmphotos

RM_Photog, I am using the smallest focus point I can and have tried it with a larger one just to validate that the results were the same. I have gone to the Fuji site and printed out the form to send it in but I am worried it will be returned the week I am gone and there will be no one to receive it so I may hold off and just take a a different system on my trip. 

jlmphotos, so this is my first Fuji camera and I did not know what to expect for one and then I had all the bug's and I guess I thought firmware updates would fix it. Then I thought based on my readings on the net (probably not smart) that the issue with the sharpness was in how the software handled the X-Tran sensor. I never thought about doing a focus tuning test on it as I thought it was not a possibility for a mirrorless camera and again based on net knowledge :-S but the yesterday just for curiosity and since I had the stuff already setup I threw it on the Tripod and took some shots and found it certainly is possible! Then I tested all my Fuji lenses and they all do the same thing. I received the camera in September of last year so I am hoping for warranty repairs.

Ok this is just crazy and it’s got to be a bug right? I can’t imagine its by design! Anyway I thought I would post on my continuing saga as I received the 35mm f/2 that I had ordered today and have not had a response from Fuji yet so I thought I would test something one of you talked about and that was the focus point. I like to shoot wildlife mostly (with my Nikon system) and I really like to control where the focus is so I typically choose the smallest focus zone and move that point around when composing. So I decided to retest with the camera on a tripod with the new lens mounted and the only thing that would change is the size of the focus point group. So as you probably know there are 6 steps in the size of that group and I started small and went big. The only thing that changed was again the size of the focus area.

Step 1 smallest focus area back focused as expected.

https://flic.kr/p/TCDWpK

Step 2 Wait, what? Did the focus move? Still back focused.

https://flic.kr/p/Tf3BxC

Step 3 Holy cow the focus is moving as I enlarge the zone!

https://flic.kr/p/Tf3Bu1

Step 4 Whoa! That’s almost on the money!

https://flic.kr/p/Tf3Brf

Step 5 Oh my gosh it is now going front focus!!

https://flic.kr/p/TCDWhR

Step 6 largest focus zone, Wow not it is total front focusing :-S

https://flic.kr/p/TCDWhk

That’s insane! Certainly, that can’t be on purpose? Keep in mind all I did was change the size of the focus area! Dang I would love if someone else can replicate this test it sure looks like a bug in the camera software to me. 

Hmmm... isn't that what you'd expect if the focus area was over the sloping part of the lensalign? Have you moved the area to the left or is it in the middle? And just to check, is the camera in single shot mode ("S" on the front switch) and single point focus mode (not zone or wide/tracking?).

What if you try manual focus on the lens align target with focus peaking on... you can use the af-l button to see where the camera thinks focus is... do the peaking highlights work properly? Just thinking of things to try to help understand...

Hmmm... isn't that what you'd expect if the focus area was over the sloping part of the lensalign? Have you moved the area to the left or is it in the middle? And just to check, is the camera in single shot mode ("S" on the front switch) and single point focus mode (not zone or wide/tracking?).

What if you try manual focus on the lens align target with focus peaking on... you can use the af-l button to see where the camera thinks focus is... do the peaking highlights work properly? Just thinking of things to try to help understand...

What I am changing is the Size of focus frame with the camera in AF-S mode and Single Point. On the focus frame, there is really not much of an explanation in the manual (the updated PDF manual page 78) as to what it does in reality and I guess I assumed it was just a guide? I would have in no way expected that to have a relationship as to where the focus plane is. If you look at the pictures what I am focusing on is the that center circle (the large one on the left with the letter B below its center) the scale to the right simply shows the focus plane and a representation of the depth of field. The left side of the target is supposed to be in parallel with the camera sensor or at least very close.

So when I tested the manual focus I like to use zoom or use split image. I have not really had good luck with the peaking on my Sony system so I never really tried it on the Fuji. However, I can use adapted lenses on the Fuji and consistently nail focus on things standing still and I tried with the new lens yesterday and had no issue manually focusing the new 35mm f/2.

And I do appreciate the trying to help as this has been maddening to me J I am still trying to contact Fuji on this.