Fuji XT2 / XT20 LCD & EVF screen flickering?

Hi everyone,

• Quite often, under artificial lights, the screen of both the LCD and the EVF of my Fuji XT20 is flickering/flashing quickly, making shooting unpleasant.
  • This video shows the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWk6i_udD34
  • When I turn the camera OFF, then ON again, there is an intense flickering at the beginning, but all flickering disappears after 1 second (but the issue might occur again a few minutes later).
  • The issue is present in both normal and high performance mode.

1) Does this happens to anyone else? I would also be interested to know if you don't experience this issue.

2) If it is caused by the reaction of the LCD/EVF to the fluorescent/LED lighting operating at a certain frequency, why is the issue temporary resolved by turning the camera OFF, then ON again?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Guest Robert Lane

That doesn't look like flickering, that looks like the screen refresh rate changing based on brightness.  Make sure you have the latest firmware installed and it it persists send it in for service.

Guest Robert Lane

Actually I'm noticing similar issues on my X-T2 with the newest firmware.

I see it both in the EVF and LCD; especially around FL light sources it's really bad.  This looks exactly like seeing the raster line in the older TV screens when shot with a video camera, you'd get that faded line scrolling up and down based on frame-rate and shutter speed.  I'm also seeing noise patterns in low light.

I think there's a larger issue going on here.

I'm going to submit this as a service request and see what kind of response I get and post results here.

Edited by Robert Lane
Guest Robert Lane

In contacting Fuji support they are unaware of this issue, however my unit does it and so does another copy that a local dealer has.  So apparently this is a hardware bug (maybe a firmware update will fix this?)

Here's my video showing it's existence in both EVF and LCD:

https://vimeo.com/219170141

I've sent this info to Fuji and they're going to investigate, so if you have an X-T2 with this issue I'd highly suggest you contact Fuji support and fill out a Warranty Repair form (Google it) and send it in.

• 11 months later...

My X-T2 suffers the same problem. Not only artificial light, also bright daylight, sun, ...

Flickering occurs in "manual exposure preview on", with "off" there is no flickering. :D

Flickering occurs both in AF mode "S" and "M" - most interestingly :unsure: 

Using AF mode "C" flickering disappears :D

EVF Auto brightness yesterday triggered the problem, today issue comes in Auto brightness and also manual brightness... :o

power mode does not affect the issue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Suzi Mifsud
      I just started using the Fuji XT3 and I'm having an issue with the colours of my final images. I custom set the white balance and in the LCD and EVF preview the photos are perfectly white balanced and exposed, however when I opened them on my laptop, the white background appeared more grey, and the overall image is more subdued. Is this normal or is there a setting I need to change?

• By Fujiuser21
      Hey guys,
      I recently purchased a used fujifilm x pro 2 which looks really in great condition. There are only 1-2 really small and not really noticeable scratches. 

So the problem I have is actually that the camera sometimes doesn't turn on. I switch it off between taking pictures while walking and sometimes when I try to turn it back on it doesn't light up. I've read here and there that a few other people also encountered this issue but didn't really update us on it. 
      So my question is if someone has dealt with this and what could be a solution to it. 
      If there's no solution I actually really like my fuji x pro 2 and would be interested if the issue becomes worse with time or it stays quite the same.
      Thanks in advance guys!
    • By Raw confused
      Hello everyone. Hope anyone can guide me as what are the settings to AVOID in order not to be kicked out of RAW heaven?
      I find it confusing....
    • By Alan Wallace
      PLEASE DISREGARD. FIXED WITH A REBOOT. Sorry I can't see how to cancel this post.
      I have to use Lightroom Classic for a course. I am importing RAF files into LR from my XT3. The problem is a current assignment requires me to adjust the WB in LR using the various settings. But the only options I can see are As shot, Auto, and Custom. The other 6 or so options like Cloudy are not displayed as an option. I read that if you are processing jpgs or TIFFS then only  As shot, Auto, and Custom are available in LR. I am wondering if the Fuji RAF file format is seen by LR in a similar manner to a TIFF or jpeg (even though it is a raw file). I am wondering if any other Fuji users have experienced this problem with LR classic (current release).
    • By Michael186
      This is a bit of a weird issue but in certain lighting situations, especially with grass or brush in the frame, there is a distinct pink/blue discoloration wherever I am focusing my image. When I am focusing my camera whether it is in the viewfinder or the LCD screen, you can see the discoloration while focusing and on the final image. Happens in AF-s or AF-Cmode. I have sent the camera to Fuji twice now and the first time they did nothing because they couldn't replicate the issue. I sent it back again and they replaced the sensor and I am still having issues with both of my lenses (23mm 1.2 and 56mm 1.2 - the discoloration is more obvious with the 56mm 1.2). I even rented an XT-3 body as a backup for a shoot and it did the exact same thing with that body. I shoot fully manual and white balance is typically set to a custom temperature, usually 6300K. Attached are photos showing what is happening.
      Curious if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone might know what the issue is if it's not the sensor. It's incredibly frustrating and proving unreliable.

• Hi,i am looking for some useful video editing software, i hear about the TunesKit Acemovi and Adobe Premier is good,but i am not sure which one is suitable for me,i just need to do something simple like crop,trim,add text,audio,transition,animation.Can you give me some adivice? Here is a vision of a large selection of video editing softwares https://www.xp-pen.com/forum-1595.html Don’t forget that most of the time you can try them free for a while    
    • Fan of X-Trans since P&S days Is RGB or RGGB better mosaics than Fujifilm's GBGGRGRB? How many bits of dynamic range and how few fractions of arc-seconds of resolution are needed for the more common pixel mosaics versus the more complicated X-Trans? Moire decreases with pixel size but photopic luminance for color channels and spacial frequency still matters. Debate, now, for your favorite mosaic!
    • Did you say iPhone? Their external mics usually have 4-conductor cables, which aren't directly compatible with anything else. Try an adapter with 3 conductors.
    • Welcome to  our forum! But I don't see an attached photo.
    • Greetings, Although my friends say I take good photos with my smart phone (Samsung S9+), I have forever wanted to learn the ropes of photography and finally pulled the trigger on a camera I think I can grow with, the X-T4. I'm mostly interested in still nature shots although I do enjoy documenting the dark crevices of a city from time to time. I'm looking forward to learning how to use my camera manually and will enjoy the insights in this forum. Attached is a beach photo I took with my phone. Dale