US UK Travel Restrictions

Good evening,

What is the forum view   or experience on :

The introduced regs, that cameras should be in the hold from a limited number of countries & cannot be carried in the cabin

This will expand to all voyages ( prediction )

• Is the Camera stout enough
  • What is the insurance position
  • what special packing is required   # remember the box it came in
  • if we use original packaging as guideline you will have little room for anything else
  • who kept all them boxes

I have seen how suitcases are treated!

I have never seen security regulations relaxed even if they make no further sense

You can see through a lens

best regards

David

Good evening,

What is the forum view   or experience on :

The introduced regs, that cameras should be in the hold from a limited number of countries & cannot be carried in the cabin

This will expand to all voyages ( prediction )

• Is the Camera stout enough
  • What is the insurance position
  • what special packing is required   # remember the box it came in
  • if we use original packaging as guideline you will have little room for anything else
  • who kept all them boxes

I have seen how suitcases are treated!

I have never seen security regulations relaxed even if they make no further sense

You can see through a lens

best regards

David

What travel regulations are you referring to that specifically affect travellers between UK and US and vice versa?

I refer to regulations that limit the size of any electronic gear to the size of a smart phone from certain countries ( 6 ) so far

These restrictions affect inbound flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

for US

• Queen Alia International Airport (AMM) in Jordan
  • Cairo International Airport (CAI) in Egypt
  • Ataturk International Airport (IST) in Turkey
  • King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED) in Saudi Arabia
  • King Khalid International Airport (RUH) in Saudi Arabia
  • Kuwait International Airport (KWI) in Kuwait
  • Mohammed V Airport (CMN) in Morocco
  • Hamad International Airport (DOH) in Qatar
  • Dubai International Airport (DXB) in United Arab Emirates
  • Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) in United Arab Emirates

What is included in the ban?

Any electronic device larger than 16cm by 9.3cm by 1.5cm.

• Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners

David

It is precisely what is discussed in the video and link that I gave above.

http://money.cnn.com...le-east-africa/

It is not clear whether you can bring any electrical device without batteries because the article makes special mention of items containing batteries.

Also it is absolutely pointless because all and any only applies to direct flights , if you have a stop over or simply change plane somewhere you may never be affected.

And here's the real reason for the ban as mentioned in tbe CNN link:

"Global hubs affected

The new ban affects some of the largest airlines at the busiest hubs in the world"

US airlines have been losing business to Emirates, Qatar and Turkish Airlines for years, now they've managed to inconvenience their passengers with a pointless 'security' measured based on 'trumped up' fears about terrorists who are apparently unable to figure that taking a connecting flight through Europe will get them around the ban.

Good evening,

Well I fly to Uganda via Dubai and would not be happy putting an XPRO2 & 100 - 400 lens in hold luggage

If the camera flashes up and works it has no space to put the ingredients required for an explosive device in,  

noting you cannot take a device on board without batteries as it must flash up on test

and having worked with security before I know these measures propagate, the simple philosopher rightly

figures out that if his security is not at the top end of industry practice he is screwed if it goes wrong

It will propagate to other flights on the just in case principle until internal flights are affected

We have trains that carry +500 PAX without the fuss and I an sure other nations multiply that number

An example is security took of me a jar of crystallized solid honey claiming it was a threat whilst clearly not a liquid

and you cannot question them or you will be "offloaded" &they just give a knowing look when they know it is bs

Watch the space,  airlines will require the equipment to be specially packed in flight cases, and an additional charge - noses will be in the trough

David