RAW converters comparison

Thanks for doing the comparison. They all look pretty good really. Did you do much processing on them, or is it a straight out of camera output? The contrast is different on the different versions. What camera are these from?

Also, could you compare the working speed of Capture One against Lightroom? I'm dealing with trying to correct the sluggishness that I get though Lightroom right now. 

No, it's out of the camera uncompressed raw, sharpness and noise reduction 0. It's X-T2. I didin't notice capture one any slower than lightroom.. You can see capture one has better color reproduction by default. Best combo for professional work has iridient + capture one. Overall best quality has ON1, but it works pretty slow and confusing interface.. One big problem with capture one, it doesn't support lossless raw...

Edited by jakku

I think I'll continue to use LR for 99% of my raw work.  I've used others, but always come back to LR.  It does everything I need it to.  Every now and then when I want to "play" I'll switch over to Iridient Developer which is truly amazing as well.

• 3 months later...

Hello !

Has anyone compared .RAF (24.3 Mpx) treatment by Affinity Photo (develop persona) with other derawtizers ? Regards, gpzt.

Yes. I consider Affinity unusable for raw processing and particularly so for Fuji RAF files. Affinity has an X-Trans problem with color artifacting. More importantly it has a very odd design quirk that I consider fatal. Affinity's raw processing is destructive; it forces you to "develop" the raw file to an RGB image (TIFF) and in the process it trashes all the work you did with the raw processing tools. You're left with the TIFF (afphoto) file but should you decide to return to the raw processing tools and the work you did with the raw file you're forced to start from scratch. Unacceptable.

It's pointless to compare converters using their default settings. Lightroom has its defaults set to give a flat and lightly sharpened look. You have to use those sliders and then save the result as a preset. Capture 1 is made to give a more finished look by default. You can make the lightroom result look almost identical to the Capture 1 if you want. Lightroom can be slow though. Adobe have admitted that it is a problem and say they are going to make it a priority in future update.

It's pointless to compare converters using their default settings. Lightroom has its defaults set to give a flat and lightly sharpened look. You have to use those sliders and then save the result as a preset. Capture 1 is made to give a more finished look by default. You can make the lightroom result look almost identical to the Capture 1 if you want. Lightroom can be slow though. Adobe have admitted that it is a problem and say they are going to make it a priority in future update.

There are certain things that simply can't be achieved in Lightroom, no matter how you use your sliders and settings. The level of fine detail you can get is one of them.

Also, I'm pretty sure Adobe said they were going to fix that problem around 2014, and it's only gotten worse. I've been participating in a couple of threads over with Adobe and some engineers for a couple of months now, where tons of people are talking about the poor performance they get with Lightroom, and Adobe reps are still trying to figure out if there's a problem at all, and are nowhere near to solving it. Lightroom performance has become infuriating over the past couple of years for ALL file types, and triply so for RAF files, which take an estimated 4-5 times as long to process as my similarly sized Canon files. 

Camera profiles, VSCO presets, and library management are about the only things that Lightroom has over Capture One at this point.