Keep the 14 mm or trade for the 10-24 mm

claude

I have owned and used the 10-24 . It was one of my first lenses that I bought in the system, after the 35 1.4 and together with the 60mm.

The lens was great and performed very well but I tended to use it only to the widest part of the spectrum. So, at some point, a friend of mine who was going to buy this lens anyway, bought if from me and with the money that I recuperated I bought a new 12mm Samyang ( I don’t really need autofocus at this focal length also because I go for total sharpness ) and a 18-55. After a while I was so impressed by the 18-55 that I decided to sell the 35mm.

Anyway.

I do, very occasionally, want to bridge the gap between 18-55 and 12 ( by the way I also own the 8mm Samyang fish eye) and for that reason I have considered buying a lens in between. I’ve also bought, and returned, the 16-55, great lens but too big for me.

Anyway, I like extreme wideangles. The extremer the better.

I don’t find the difference between 10 and 12mm too big and 14 would be also in that ballpark.

So, If you never use the 10-24, sell it, but do consider a Samyang lens because that will give you enough cash to buy at least another lens.

Do you mean you never use the 14mm? Since you don't have the 10-24 yet ;-) I'd keep your 14mm or sell it and buy a cheaper option (Samyang 12mm) if you don't use wide angle a lot.

Personally i prefer smaller lenses, the 10-24 is a bit too heavy and big on my x-e camera for my taste. I usually leave zooms at home and take my 14, 27 or 35 1.4

I really like the 10-24mm for scouting new places during the day and I have gotten many images from it that I've been very happy with. However, when the image stabilization really kicks in, it does lose some sharpness in the edges and corners. I'm not a fanatic about that being perfect, but I do tend to go back to the locations of my best images and reshoot them with either the 16mm or 23mm f/1.4 primes. If I only had the 10-24mm, I would be happy with it. However, there is enough of a difference in quality that I definitely appreciate owning both. If you go with the 10-24mm, I'd recommend turning off the stabilization when it's not needed. It's wide enough that you can get away with very slow shutter speeds handheld and it will help with the quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I use both regularly. The image quality and convenience of the zoom makes it my go to lens for wide angle (and, I agree, turn off image stabilization whenever possible which is almost always for me since I am on a tripod). But that 16 has a special quality to it, especially when I am looking for close focus on a foreground element. I also prefer the 16 to the 23 as my walk around lens.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm used to using Zooms from my life with a Nikon D800 but now I am in the Fuji camp I have found that I am slowly shifting to using Primes. I have the 10-24 (after I sold the 14mm) but I don't use it that much... I will see how valuable it is on an upcoming trip and consider selling.

The 14mm is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 10-24mm FOV, I mainly use it at 10mm but I have issues with IQ, especially when using the 23mm and 56mm, the quality isn't even close, how I wish for a fuji prime at 10mm or below.

Have you tried turning off the OIS? I find that makes a noticeable difference in the corners when it's not needed.

I own the Zeiss 12mm 2.8 and the Fuji16 1.4.  I did look at the 10-24F4 and it looked great but I rarely go wider than 16 (my LR catalog) shows I don't use my 12mm that often - only for very specific purposes.  The 10-24 would be wasted on me.  However, it is a beauty, albeit a tad too big and bulky, much like the 16-55 for my taste.