Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

For some reason, some of my images are turning purple and it's not fixable just by clicking on reset in lightroom develop or in camera raw photoshop. The preview of the images on my camera are normal but when I import them to lightroom or camera raw they do this. 

I tried resetting the images, applying all the setting to 0 or balanced, copy and pasting presets applied to other images that were not purple and all that did was apply the presets over the purple tinted image. I also sent the raw file to a friend thinking that maybe it was my adobe but he got the same problem.

I'm using lightroom cc 2015.9 and camera raw 9.9

I've posted a link to a raw file if you guys would like to open the image and give it a try

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-M3KcTQibo7Zjc2MllxMWJPTFU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by julianlimh

I've never seen the purple thing happen to my X-T2 files, but I do sometimes get dramatic under-exposure randomly out of nowhere. I played with your sample file a bit and it seems like it's pretty easy to correct for the purple tint, but that doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be there in the first place. Sorry I can't help you!

The underexposure is not random! It's because LR does not apply auto DR settings correctly. Don't use auto DR, and you're fine.

As for the purple color, can can you fix it with white balance adjustments?

Edited by voodooless

The underexposure is not random! It's because LR does not apply auto DR settings correctly. Don't use auto DR, and you're fine.

As for the purple color, can can you fix it with white balance adjustments?

"The underexposure is not random!" 

Fair enough, but I have taken 10 photos in a row in about four seconds in lighting that doesn't change even a little bit and only one or two photos in the middle of the burst will come out about two stops under-exposed. It very well may be the auto-DR feature, but it still seems pretty random to me. 

I managed to fix most of the issue with the purple with the white balance eye-dropper. The file is a little weird and I'm not sure what was truly white on the scene, but I got a pretty natural looking approximation by clicking around for a white surface. Going to "daylight balance" in the white balance definitely gives a purple cast though. 

That is NOT normal to the extreme!

There is no reason you should have to jump through hoops color balancing etc.

This should be a WYSIWYG camera (What you see is what you get)

You have a defective camera.

Period.

My 2 cents is stop aggravating yourself and send the camera in for repair.

I know little about this, but wonder if it's possible, instead, that he has a defective Lightroom? Just speculating.

Meanwhile, and separately, I note that various 'issues' various participants report here seem to be associated with using their cameras in multi-speed applications; not sure if I framed that right, but capturing a large number of images in a short space of time is what I'm getting at.

If indeed this is the essential issue, then would it be associated with the CPU (or whatever it's called these days), the ability of the camera to multitudinously (new word, OK?) process everything pretty much simultaneously?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also interested in this from a personal viewpoint, as I'm seriously contemplating purchasing Lightroom in order to best process my X-T2 raw images. Not to send this off topic, but what (if any) are the alternatives? Do they make pictures purple? And like that ...

I think it is something with the white balance.  When I set the WB to "Auto" in LR as opposed to "As Shot", it is better (not perfect).  The main change when setting WB to Auto in LR is a change in the Tint number.  Is it possible you have some sort of WB fine tuning set up wrong in camera (this wouldn't explain why it looks good on the camera LCD)?

Edited by rh22

I know little about this, but wonder if it's possible, instead, that he has a defective Lightroom? Just speculating.

Meanwhile, and separately, I note that various 'issues' various participants report here seem to be associated with using their cameras in multi-speed applications; not sure if I framed that right, but capturing a large number of images in a short space of time is what I'm getting at.

If indeed this is the essential issue, then would it be associated with the CPU (or whatever it's called these days), the ability of the camera to multitudinously (new word, OK?) process everything pretty much simultaneously?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also interested in this from a personal viewpoint, as I'm seriously contemplating purchasing Lightroom in order to best process my X-T2 raw images. Not to send this off topic, but what (if any) are the alternatives? Do they make pictures purple? And like that ...

I loaded his file to my lightroom as well, and it turned purple. 

I also opened the file in Photo Ninja and its purple there as well.

>"I'm seriously contemplating purchasing Lightroom in order to best process my X-T2 raw images."

Lightroom is really only the best at organization. When it comes to image quality, it's one of the worst (though you can really only tell with large prints and at 100% viewing) If you want "the best" out of your files, you need to be looking elsewhere. Capture One gets good colors, Iridient and Photo Ninja get great fine detail. Many people who are squeezing the very best out of their Fuji files have kludged together a multi-program workflow. For my high-detail black and white work, I start in Photo Ninja and get all the detail and dynamic range out of the file, then export to a TIFF and import into Lightroom for toning and contrast work, and then into Photoshop for really fine correction/dodge and burn. 

Just to clarify, It's not lightroom not sure about the camera though. As you see the file i sent is doing the same thing on everyone's computer. If i preview the file on the camera, it appears normal. 

Someone mentioned the burst setting on the camera, that's a very good observation because i did have it on burst but not all the images from that same burst are turning purple. just some of them. 

The camera i used on that shoot was rented so if it is the camera im not worried it will happen again as i shot with my own camera the week after and the images seemed fine. I'm hoping it is the camera so it doesn't ever happen again. could it be the sd card. i have two and its seem's to the every second batch of pictures that have this problem. both the sd cards are brand new and were first used on this shoot with this camera. they are the lexar professional sd HC II class 10  1000x 150mb/s

My main concern is how to fix the images. they are raw so i have some relief there but still a pain and hoping they are not lost.

can someone open the file in capture one so we can rule out the idea of it being an adobe problem?

Edited by julianlimh

Just loaded the file in Iridient.. Seems fine to me.. I don't see any purple cast.. Adobe RAW does show it however. Seems to me as though there is nothing wrong with the camera, it's a bug in the converters..

Iridient on the left, Adobe on the right, both default settings

Edited by voodooless

Just loaded the file in Iridient.. Seems fine to me.. I don't see any purple cast.. Adobe RAW does show it however. Seems to me as though there is nothing wrong with the camera, it's a bug in the converters..

attachicon.gifScreen-Shot-2017-04-05-at-20.22.25.jpg

Iridient on the left, Adobe on the right, both default settings

That's pretty strange, but good news for the OP. 

The fact that it's only some of the photos and not all makes it strange. There must be some unique setting happening in-camera causing the confusion, similar to how Auto-ISO isn't handled well by editing software. 

I've opened it in both Photo Ninja and Iridient X-Transformer just fine. I then opened it in Adobe DNG converter and it's crap. The problem lies with something Adobe is misinterpreting something, not with the camera or the file.

At some stage there finally will be a general realisation that Adobe is hopeless at handling X-Trans; it hasn't "improved", it isn't "good enough", and it is, in fact, just plain hopeless, full stop.

Adobe never has cared about X-Trans, nor will they ever. Just use any of the other processors available that have had more than enough endorsements here and in many other forums, and don't lose sleep over using something other than ACR/LR to process your RAFs.

If you are tied to LR by an unbreakable umbilical cord, by all means just use X-Transformer to demosaic, save as DNG and use LR/ACR for edit adjustments and cataloguing. That workflow works just fine.

LR handles my X trans files just fine.

All my friends have no issues with Adobe and X trans, nor is there any indication that the OP's issues are reappearing anywhere else.  

I have never seen anything like the OP has experienced....and it's more than just a purple tinge....those images have serious issues...they look very odd in all regards.

Even my "flattest" images don't look like that.

I couldn't disagree more that it's a bug in the conversion of X Trans files.

That's simply absurd.

One guys camera is suffering the problem.

One camera, which is faulty.

How that single example of one user serious problem  becomes an  Adobe issue is beyond me.

I don't know why the OP doesn't return it for repair.

It is NOT a camera problem. Several other converters work just fine, proving that the camera was working as it is supposed to. It would not be the first Adobe x-trans bug anyway (auto-DR anyone?).

And I don't know why you don't actually read the topic... the camera: it was a rental, so even if there would be a problem with the camera the OP would probably never know.

Period

Really, is that the way to end discussions nowadays?

Adobe: bad

Pictorial: good

Iridient: good

Apple preview (Apple RAW): good

FastRawViewer (Libraw): good

Photo Ninja: good

Silkypix: good

In camera: good

See the pattern? I'd really still like a good argument why this would be a camera problem?

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem when moving images from Fuji X-E3 (firmware 1.20) in compressed RAW/RAF to Adobe DNG Converter and then opening them in Photos.app on OSX 10.13.6. The preview image in Finder looks correct but hitting spacebar for full preview or opening in Photos.app shows it with a heavy purple tint. 

• 1 year later...

I am new to this forum. I have an X100s (as well as a Nikon D750). I have just switched from LR6 to Capture One Pro 20. In LR, my workflow was to import the RAF files and then convert them via Library / Convert Photo to DNG. The original RAFs were then deleted automatically. This has saved me quite a bit of space, since the original RAFs are around 32 Mb, while DNGs are generally around 20 Mb. No problems, always worked fine.

Now, in C1, I import my DNG files and suddenly they turn a horrible purplish hue. Even the older ones from the imported LR catalog.

Funny thing is, I also have a number of RAFs which I forgot to convert to DNG. These look fine, as they did from camera.

I have read the above posts and LR gets a lot of flack for handling X-Trans files the wrong way. But both RAF and DNG look fine in LR, and the (same) DNGs look crap in C1. While I am very pleased with C1, I hate this sudden discoloration and I don't know what caused it. In the Base Characteristics I found the ICC profile which was set to Fujifilm X100S Generic V2. I tried switching to a different ICC profile, i.e. Adobe / DNG file / DNG workspace, and Neutral as well. This made a difference, it's not as purple as the original ICC profile, but the purplish hue is still there. It shows up most on the sides of the photos.

Anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon? And/or a way to fix this?