Off Camera Flash Options

HI all. I'm shooting mostly Fuji These, days. But I still have some of my old Canon gear, including my Canon 430EX.

I have a family (CUZ) wedding to shoot in May, and while I own over 70 lenses, (all non fuji, I shoot manually) I normally don't shoot much flash. I'm thinking a flash setup would be a good investment, as i'm doing more portrait shots and the kids are going to be doing more events as they get older.

I've been considering the following:

For Stands, reflectors, etc.

Impact Multiboom Light Stand and Reflector Holder - 13' (4m) - I would like 2x, if have budget. Up for up for suggestions on a cheaper option?

Impact Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe. - up for suggestions on a cheaper option?

Spinlight 360 EXTREME Modular System for a defuser. - Looks ok, up for optiosn, prefer something sligher cheaper.

I have a Neewer Photographic Lighting Reflector Disc With Bag - Translucent, Silver, Gold, White, and Black - 43-inch / 110cm.

For Flashes

Nissin Di700A Flash Kit with Air 1 Commander for Fujifilm Cameras 

or 

a Cactus V6ii, and a lower cost non name brand flash. ( looking for options )

Roboshoot ?

Another question on the Cactus V6ii: does it allow you to fire both a canon and non canon flash at once in the same group? aka I could perhaps re use my 430EX as a flash in group a, with a non name brand flash? I assume I need a receiver for each flash. Other options?

My goal is to keep this around $400-500.

Guest welshkc

Check out the Strobist 101 and gear line up.  He has a lot of good tips.  If you go Cactus, be sure to get a flash that does highspeed sync.  You will want it eventually.  Your Canon 430 may be good enough since Cactus should be compatible regardless which camera is under it, but the flash has to support HSS.  

Strobist Gear Link

I recently shot a wedding as a favor to someone.  The umbrella setup that I brought never got used.  Just the Yongnuo 560 III speedlight and TX with 50-140mm and 18mm F2.  The flash had the plastic cover diffuser on it which was plenty for all shots.  Once an all around flash power was set I left it alone and let ISO move around to accommodate the variances.  Top ISO range was 6400.

Check out the Strobist 101 and gear line up.  He has a lot of good tips.  If you go Cactus, be sure to get a flash that does highspeed sync.  You will want it eventually.  Your Canon 430 may be good enough since Cactus should be compatible regardless which camera is under it, but the flash has to support HSS.  

Strobist Gear Link

I recently shot a wedding as a favor to someone.  The umbrella setup that I brought never got used.  Just the Yongnuo 560 III speedlight and TX with 50-140mm and 18mm F2.  The flash had the plastic cover diffuser on it which was plenty for all shots.  Once an all around flash power was set I left it alone and let ISO move around to accommodate the variances.  Top ISO range was 6400.

So I guess the question is, do I go with a HSS system, or with the Nissin TTL system...

Guest welshkc

Most of my work with a flash is off camera so I find little need for TTL.  When you lay the flash on the ground or bounce it off something  to get "that look" then the exposure in front of the lens is not that relevant.

This is a link to one of my favorite car pics that I took with a single 560III laying on the ground.  Obviously, TTL would be useless.

31815502835_9be74faef2_k.jpg

My choice would be HSS so those bride pics in the sun can be done with good face exposure and some highlight in her eyes at F5.6.

Most of my work with a flash is off camera so I find little need for TTL.  When you lay the flash on the ground or bounce it off something  to get "that look" then the exposure in front of the lens is not that relevant.

This is a link to one of my favorite car pics that I took with a single 560III laying on the ground.  Obviously, TTL would be useless.

31815502835_9be74faef2_k.jpg

My choice would be HSS so those bride pics in the sun can be done with good face exposure and some highlight in her eyes at F5.6.

Thanks for the example.

I'm wondering about the cactus II setup then, thoughts on just getting two matching flash like YONGNUO's  or mixing a nicer flash as primary Group A, and using the Canon 430ex in group B. I assume I wouldn't want to use the Canon with something else in group A.

Guest welshkc

The YN 560 series do not do HSS.  That is why I don't have a Cactus yet.  I'd have to upgrade my lights to use the functions, so for now I just use non-flash methods to deal with bright situations.  ND filters, reflectors etc.

If I decide to spend on fancy speedlights, it will be either Fuji or Canon with a Cactus setup for remote firing and HSS.