Is it too early to start thinking about the X-T3?

Jake Hall

So i'm a landscape and wildlife guy, currently shooting with the trusty and entirely excellent X-T1. In the next 12 months or so I'll be looking to upgrade though, and this has me thinking...

Do I get a discounted/second hand X-T2 or hold out for X-T3?

I suppose for me the real question is whether or not the IQ and AF will be a significant step ahead of the already well regarded X-T2?

I know we're likely to see an X-T3 at the tail end of 2018, but what are we likely to see? 

I'm not at all bothered about video features. 

www.surfcoastnature.com

all shot with X-T1, 35mm f2, 55-200, samyang 12mm f2

It’s never too early to think about the future, we tend to live in hope, and I am sure that at Fuji they are already working on this.

Secondhand X-T2 , the camera is only months old!

My crystal ball tells me that the X-T3 will have more MP ( but of course we don’t want to jeopardize the Giant Fuji X-camera domination , although that one is about to double the pixel count to 100Mp)

http://www.fujirumors.com/sony-officially-shows-new-medium-format-sensor-roadmap-cebit-100mp-bsi-sensor-fujifilm-gfx-100s/

and there will be more ISO sensitivity, let alone more AF points and faster autofocus. Organic sensor? Why not!

As for IQ , despite the numerous claims, I am still not missing any on my X-T1, so I guess that you will be then able to print 2 x 6m while I can print only 1 x 3m . Shame on me!

All the rest will be also “ vastly improved”, although if that would be at all perceptible by the human eye and by how much is still the lap of the gods.

new-and-improved.png

Edited by milandro

We don't know how long it will take to release the X-T3. Manufacturers are waiting longer on the top end models to introduce their replacements. The X-T2 is also still backordered at many places. I tend to shoot mostly wildlife and landscape too and the improvements in the X-T2 over the X-T1 for that type of photography are, in my opinion, rather significant. It is all the small advances that make the camera easier and more enjoyable to use. Being able to tilt the LCD screen vertically as well, the joystick for moving focus points, the extra focus points, being able to select a much smaller focus point, and the AF speed for acquisition and tracking is greatly improved. IQ wise, the color processor is better. The click on/off locking buttons on the dials are also a nice improvement on usability. Of course these things don't matter to everyone, but for me they were improvements that make the X-T2 an amazing camera.

We don't know how long it will take to release the X-T3. Manufacturers are waiting longer on the top end models to introduce their replacements. The X-T2 is also still backordered at many places. I tend to shoot mostly wildlife and landscape too and the improvements in the X-T2 over the X-T1 for that type of photography are, in my opinion, rather significant. It is all the small advances that make the camera easier and more enjoyable to use. Being able to tilt the LCD screen vertically as well, the joystick for moving focus points, the extra focus points, being able to select a much smaller focus point, and the AF speed for acquisition and tracking is greatly improved. IQ wise, the color processor is better. The click on/off locking buttons on the dials are also a nice improvement on usability. Of course these things don't matter to everyone, but for me they were improvements that make the X-T2 an amazing camera.

Great input, thank you. What you say makes total sense, and I feel I would really enjoy those improvements too

How many of us X-T2 users or X-Pro 2 users can fully exploit the features we already have? I would prefer to wait for for some exceptional advances!

Normally the new and improved sticker is a sure fire signal to something that isn't new and improved!

A good point and I'm all for waiting until you really need more from your camera rather than just want more. Sadly I think that time is coming soon for my x-t1 and I.

So i'm a landscape and wildlife guy, currently shooting with the trusty and entirely excellent X-T1. In the next 12 months or so I'll be looking to upgrade though, and this has me thinking...

Do I get a discounted/second hand X-T2 or hold out for X-T3?

I suppose for me the real question is whether or not the IQ and AF will be a significant step ahead of the already well regarded X-T2?

I know we're likely to see an X-T3 at the tail end of 2018, but what are we likely to see? 

I'm not at all bothered about video features. 

www.surfcoastnature.com

all shot with X-T1, 35mm f2, 55-200, samyang 12mm f2

If you don't care about video, I don't think you should expect in the X-T3 anything really making the difference compared to X-T2. But it is just my guess, nothing more, based on the fact that X-T2 is already almost perfect camera and personally I would suggest just one PHYSICAL change: I would like to have the viewfinder more "glasses-friendly". Using X-T2 and wearing glasses I'm not able to see entire image in the viewfinder. And I doubt if we will see X-T2 in 2018 as Fujifilm has now high priority GFX line.