Problems with the new firmware (3.0.)

Hi everyone. Just updated my X-Pro2 to the new firmware and i noticed that all related to RAW is not working. I can't choose RAW format from the menu and i can't do RAW conversions (the menu item is greyed).

Take a look at a couple of pictures i've attached…

Any idea?

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Try resetting both reset options in camera. May help. I had older software force me to reset. For me, I find it unusual to have 3 raw files when shooting film bracketing with raw enabled. I get 3 jpgs and 3 identical (it seems) raw files. All uniquely​ numbered. Takes lot more room on card and us not fun loading to Lightroom. Today Lightroom refused to load any if my jpgs. Had been shooting film bracket +raw. Went to import all files from SD. Only raws loaded. Three per same shot. Jpgs on card and can be loaded one or few at time. Something odd. Anyone else experience either? The raws loaded with the jpg profiles as some first appeared BW (used acros) but once you select them they just go colour and are simply raws. Will try again before I reset.

Hi. I haven't had much time to put everything to the test but here are my initial thoughts.

The best feature for me is the new narrow focus point, which makes the focus accuracy really high and the focus is really fast, even in low light. I feel the focusing speed has improved - not that there was an issue but improvements are always welcome (using the 35mm F2 for all tests).

The thing that puzzles me (and consider it a con) is that when I shoot in film bracket mode (3 film JPGS per shot), with the new RAW enabled, I get 3 identical RAW copies per each shot. This chews up SD memory and I must say that for the first time ever, I ran out of SD space on my primary card while doing street photography. 

The import lightroom process also means that my computer is loading files (unless you sit and deselect) that I don't need. So I now have to deselect duplicate RAWs as part of my workflow - seems small thing but it's actually not fun when you have a total of 6 pictures that are of the same shot (3 JPGs and 3 RAWs). Imagine loading 200 images and you get the idea. I stopped shooting film brackets today since it's faster to convert to JPG in camera if if the JPG setting I had wasn't the best (for single photo JPG + RAW mode). Further to this, the camera does not provide a post shot image preview in the film bracket + raw mode. This again is not good for me as when doing street, I like to delete things on the fly (if the image misses the object, as it does happen when people move or someone enters your frame). Thus, this is also related to my SD card getting loaded up.  I will add here that i am not using the type II SD card but have the fastest one in the standard SD. Camera takes a while to write each shot to card. Maybe because it is writing 3 RAW files instead of 1? This may be stopping the picture preview. I don't know and would be grateful if anyone is using a faster SD has this issue.  For me, I really just want a single RAW with the film bracket setting.

I haven't been able to find the copyright function and I did specifically go looking for it - the manual may explain it but I thought it would be obvious and in user settings like date/time. The online manual is not great IMO as the search engine feature is not accurate enough for my liking. 

Also, Lightroom had a hernia when I loaded the entire SD card (200 or so pics) and it decided it wasn't going to import JPGS. So I got the 3 RAW files per photo but not the film simulation JPG's. I managed to get them in since without drama but something may need tweaking in the Lightroom software (I checked but no updates).

I think it's a thumbs up for 3.0 in general because the focusing is pretty insane and that to me is paramount for any photo.  The bracketing + RAW is not what I had expected (if this is how it's designed then it's not practical and I can do without it).  Perhaps my camera needs a reset but no one seems to be commenting about that feature as yet so i will simply not use it for now. 

I'll update anything further as it becomes apparent. Really hope Fuji can put ISO on the front command dial like the XT2. A lot of focus from Fuji on XT2 since its release but I think Xpro2 needs just as much love.

Edited by fotomarz

I did my update Thursday, and finished 3 assignments since then. No new problems yet, and it fixed the issue of not writing RAW and JPG to separate cards.

For a future update I would like to see more flexibilty in configuring burst modes, for example if bracketing and shooting RAW + Jpg, only write RAW  brackets(or Jpg) to the cards.

The copyright setting is in the "SAVE DATA SETUP" menu.

Edited by Flanderspix

So. What's the verdict? This is the single comment pro or con on the firmware I've seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

In response to original post - Spent the last couple of days using the camera after installing the new firmware.  Definitely NO problems with RAW vs JPEG vs RAW+JPG.  All work.  I comparred my LCD to your images and mine don't have anything greyed out.  I would try RESET and follow up with as reinstall.

An to my recent experience with the new software.  My subject matter so far is things that don't move or at least not much so I can't comment on AF enhancements.  

--The AUTO setting for minimal shutter speed when using AUTO-ISO seems to do just what I was hoping it would - it's interesting (and cool) to watch the shutter speed change automatically when zooming. It seems to make about the same choice I would if I were doing it manually.   One more thing to remember to disable when using a tripod!

-- The new AE bracket is nice - up to 9 exposures with increments up to 2 stops.  This is great for hardcore HDR among other things but ironically I resort to that far less than in the past thanks to the DR of the new sensors.  

I have another problem since updating. After taking a picture i like to review the picture immediately for up to 1.5 seconds using the EVF. Thus, i set the screen setting - image display at 1.5 seconds. But my EVF (and LCD display) changes immediately to the live view again without showing the picture just taken. It does not matter whether i choose 0.5 s, 1.5 s or continuous, it always switches back to the live view immediately. Any idea how to change this?

best

Felipe

I have another problem since updating. After taking a picture i like to review the picture immediately for up to 1.5 seconds using the EVF. Thus, i set the screen setting - image display at 1.5 seconds. But my EVF (and LCD display) changes immediately to the live view again without showing the picture just taken. It does not matter whether i choose 0.5 s, 1.5 s or continuous, it always switches back to the live view immediately. Any idea how to change this?

best

Felipe

So far nothing amiss with my uodate. I have noticed, over the last 2 uodates, that some of the menu choices have a "different font" look to them. The characters appear thinner, maybe they are normal instead of in a bolded font.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This happens for me when on film bracket with raw enabled. No other time. Please check what setting / mode you in and let me know if you can. I'd like to confirm if same issue or diff. Thank you

Raw enabled/disabled does not have an effect, but going to single shot does. I see the picture just taken when using a single still image, but not when doing any bracketing. This was different with the previous firmware. I regard that as a painful step back. Does anybody know a way around/back to the old way?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there is a bug but it might only affect you if you shoot a single card, or have the cards set for backup or sequential.

Normally, I shoot with raw/jpg split on the cards.  I write the raws to the fast card in the first slot, and the smaller jpgs to the card in the second slot.

Just for jollies I went to a "backup" configuration on the card selection and I had that very problem: no jpg images, only raws.  This was despite the fact that I had a raw + fine jpg mode selected for the camera.

A side note about raw images appearing initially as the film simulation: every raw file has an embedded jpg.  In fact, there's a product called "Instant JPG from Raw" or something like that and it can extract that jpg from almost any raw format of any camera.  The jpg embedded in the raw is an image of what the final jpg would be but not necessarily of highest quality.

Anyway, if you divide image types across the cards, jpgs still work -- at least for me.

Edited by entropic remnants