Fujifilm Releases New Firmware for Fujifilm X-T2 DOWNLOAD NOW!

Patrick FR

Installed.

First impressions

1. AF point moving when you switch between portrait and landscape in both EVF and LCD is worth the price of admission alone, well I say price of admission, the firmware was free.

2. SS Auto, very useful feature and quite interesting to see what Fuji considers as SS for each lens. They go by the FF equivalence as far as I can tell from my limited experimentation. IE the 56mm it picks 1/85 rather than 1/56, which is what I had been doing when manually choosing a SS. I think it would be nice if you could (for primes) at least set your prefered SS for each lens in the auto mode. As I often would set it higher than 1/85 to be sure. I suppose though that is what full manual mode is for :)

3) The AUTO ISO COmmand function is great, not only can you scroll continuously through all ISO values, when you get to the end of the scroll and are at the highest ISO value you then go into Auto 1, 2 and 3 of your iso menus, so it can still work as the old auto ISO function, but is even easier as you can now switch between your pre-programmed Auto Iso presets with the front wheel (you have to press it first) which is very useful and has just free'd up a custom button I had programmed to that function for something else now :)

These 3 are the most obvious from the first 10 minutes of having a play. I have yet to test Face and Eye detect as I am home alone :) WIll update if I have time later.

G

Thank you Fuji for providing us a real nice firmware upgrade with many very useful features...

I am particularly happy of the AE bracketing set that can be expanded from 3 to 9 frames !

One feature that I think could have been implemented better somehow is ISO Auto where the "Auto" setting for the Minimum Shutter Speed should allow for configuring a multiplier of the resulting speed, like Nikon does. Example : with a 50mm focal length and selecting a +2 multiplier, the camera would shoot at 1/100 of a second. Perhaps an option set for a multiplier of the min. shutter speed such as "-4, -2, 0, +2, +4," would be just fine and expand the usability of the ISO Auto feature even more. I shoot many dancing shows and while a shutter speed based on the inverse of the focal length will normally prevent blurriness from camera shake, it is often not sufficient to freeze a moving subject...

Also, for photographers who have to deliver thousands of 8 x 10 prints (schools, sporting events etc.), it would be very much appreciated to have at least some guides (gridlines) in the viewfinder to show the corresponding 4 x 5 area in which we need to compose. Ultimately, if we could save our files in that  4 x 5 ratio, that would be perfect!

Thanks again,

Michel Jarry

Really nice new features, thank you Fujifilm, but...

...bugs still not fixed:

- horrible AF-L ergonomics regression versus X-T1 (have to press shutter first to focus and, while holding shutter, press AF-L to lock),

- picture preview after shooting disappears instantly if you don't release the shutter in time.

Other than that, it's still a nice upgrade and the above aren't really so big showstoppers, so keep up the good work. (Still would be good to have them fixed...)

I love the new firmware! The rotating autofocus point is perfect, and if that was the only upgrade in this whole firmware, I would still be happy!

Question about the command dial ISO control - Is it possible to put the ISO on the rear command dial? I changed the setting in menu to control ISO with the command dial, but it seems to have assigned it to the front dial with my shutter speed, so I have to press in the dial to change which parameter I'm adjusting, while the rear dial does nothing. I assume I'm missing a setting somewhere?

I have SS on the back dial, you still have to press the front dial in to access ISO mode first time. I assume this is to avoid accidental change. 

SO I suspect, without playing around to much, your best bet is to swap SS to the back dial at least that way each dial will be doing something, even if its not your preferred configuration.

G

I love all of the new changes with the firmware update. The focus points moving based on orientation (although I wish the size would stay the same), the eye sensor + LCD image display is awesome, auto minimum shutterspeed, smaller focus point, copyright information- FINALLY! 

A lot of little things that add up to one awesome firmware update. 

I'd rather have had some bug fixes than the addition of more half-baked features...

They seem to have fixed some bugs as well. I had mentioned in another thread that my camera would crash anytime I used continuous low shooting mode, but that seems to have been fixed. I used that mode all day today and it didn't crash once (knocking on wood right now!!!). 

What I know about a Mac or any other fruity computer would fit on the head of a pin.

But as I understand it, you MUST download the Firmware upgrade to an empty formatted card - then put the card directly in your camera and upgrade from the info now on the card; it appears that you're trying to go through a different process, and I don't think that's possible.

What I know about a Mac or any other fruity computer would fit on the head of a pin.

But as I understand it, you MUST download the Firmware upgrade to an empty formatted card - then put the card directly in your camera and upgrade from the info now on the card; it appears that you're trying to go through a different process, and I don't think that's possible.

When I start the download, I have 2 options...Open with (choose) or Save File. I can't download directly to the sd card.

Guest mikEm13

Just download the file and go to the download folder. Grab the new file and move it to the card reader that you have plugged into a usb port on the mac. Then put the card into the camera and download.

I love all of the new changes with the firmware update. The focus points moving based on orientation (although I wish the size would stay the same), the eye sensor + LCD image display is awesome, auto minimum shutterspeed, smaller focus point, copyright information- FINALLY! 

A lot of little things that add up to one awesome firmware update. 

They seem to have fixed some bugs as well. I had mentioned in another thread that my camera would crash anytime I used continuous low shooting mode, but that seems to have been fixed. I used that mode all day today and it didn't crash once (knocking on wood right now!!!). 

I think you can have the focus point stay the same size, under the same menu option that turns on AF point moves with orientation there are two options one is AF point only, the other is ALL AF setting, if you choose all AF settings then it remembers the last AF size you used in that orientation. For example if you were in landscape in Single Point AF with a very small Focus area and then moved to Portrait switched to Zone focus 5x5, when you went back to landscape it woudl switch back to Single point small, and then when you went back to portrait it would be back in zone.

I think if you switch to AF point only or whatever the setting is called that is not ALL, then your point will move, but it won't reflect any size or type changes you have made. Hope that helps/works for you. I am still learning the new features myself.

I love the new firmware! The rotating autofocus point is perfect, and if that was the only upgrade in this whole firmware, I would still be happy!

Question about the command dial ISO control - Is it possible to put the ISO on the rear command dial? I changed the setting in menu to control ISO with the command dial, but it seems to have assigned it to the front dial with my shutter speed, so I have to press in the dial to change which parameter I'm adjusting, while the rear dial does nothing. I assume I'm missing a setting somewhere?

I love the expanded bracketing options and other features too but am struggling with command dial iso control. I have changed the iso dial setting (A) to COMMAND but can't seem to find any ability to scroll through all iso's on either front or rear command dials. I've tried pressing them in but this doesn't help.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Does anyone know how to get the Film Filter info into Lightroom attached to RAW as this new update allows you to do?

Shooting RAW in Bracketing and Advanced Filters
The update enables you to use the RAW format when shooting not only in AE Bracketing but also in other Bracketing modes (ISO, Dynamic Range, White Balance, Film Simulations) and also in Advanced Filter modes.

Really odd omissions from the x-pro 2 firmware compared to x-t2. Why?

- no differentiation of focus point based on camera orientation.

- no iso front command dial option

The argument usually is that Fujifilm want to differentiate their two pro cameras with the x-pro 2 being the stills camera, but if those two features are not usefull for stills, I don't know what is.

And, why oh why not 4k like the x-t20 has?

I love the expanded bracketing options and other features too but am struggling with command dial iso control. I have changed the iso dial setting (A) to COMMAND but can't seem to find any ability to scroll through all iso's on either front or rear command dials. I've tried pressing them in but this doesn't help.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

This may be a bit condescending, and if so, I'm sorry, but did you also turn the ISO dial to A? 

Once I set the menu setting, and set the ISO dial to A, I press in the front control wheel and a little menu pops up in my viewfinder that lets me select Shutter Speed, EV Comp, and now ISO (on the far right)

Also, is this one of the updates that's X-T2 only, and do you have an X-T2?

Installed.

First impressions

1. AF point moving when you switch between portrait and landscape in both EVF and LCD is worth the price of admission alone, well I say price of admission, the firmware was free.

2. SS Auto, very useful feature and quite interesting to see what Fuji considers as SS for each lens. They go by the FF equivalence as far as I can tell from my limited experimentation. IE the 56mm it picks 1/85 rather than 1/56, which is what I had been doing when manually choosing a SS. I think it would be nice if you could (for primes) at least set your prefered SS for each lens in the auto mode. As I often would set it higher than 1/85 to be sure. I suppose though that is what full manual mode is for :)

No1 I agree is brilliant, but No2 is simply awful and a complete waste of time.

I like many other fuji photographers shoot hand held without IOS at 4x the focal length to ensure sharp results at pixel viewing.

1x is about right if using a monopod therefore I would hoped to have seen the facilility to set multipliers of 1x, 2x, 4x, and 6x.

Very disappointed with that option, no one seems to have given it a lot of thought.

Liking the update quite a lot so far.

However: my X-T2 still freezes in continuous high. Really hoped that would be able to solve through firmware. 

Edit: it repeatedly happens when switched to backup mode. Beware if you are using backup mode and rely on fast burst shooting.

Edited by slind

Liking the update quite a lot so far.

However: my X-T2 still freezes in continuous high. Really hoped that would be able to solve through firmware. 

Edit: it repeatedly happens when switched to backup mode. Beware if you are using backup mode and rely on fast burst shooting.

"Still happens"? If this has been a problem previously for you as well, it may be caused by something other than firmware. Are you using the "S" batteries? Are you using fast, quality memory cards? I've read these two things causing problems for other X-T2 users. My X-T2 will burn through a Wasabi battery in about 15-30 minutes of shooting but that battery still works fine in older cameras so it seems the X-T2 has a few requirements that the other cameras did not.

I'm using three weeks old SanDisk cards that have been working like a charm last week shooting hundreds of bursts in the zoo. I am using the original W126S batteries. The problem only occurs in backup mode, as reported by several others on Facebook, Reddit and another Fuji forum.