Five Things Fuji is doing horribly wrong

When the Fuji-X-system was released, I was very exited. Finally a system that does so many things right that so many camera manufacturers have been getting wrong for the last decades. However, after using the X-System for a while, I started to take issue with certain features of the Fuji-X cameras or in some cases the lack thereof. I have therefore written this little rant and would be a much happier X-shooter if Fuji could implement these suggestions in the future.

1) The Manual Controls of the Fuji-X Cameras are insufficient, especially the Shutter Speed Dial

I am not at all satisfied with the shutter speed dial of the X100s and the X-T1 (I haven’t tried other cameras so far). It is far too hard to turn, it isn’t nearly large enough and only offers adjustments in full stops. The whole point of a manual shutter speed dial is to enable the photographer to shoot comfortably in manual mode and avoid the use of fiddly plastic dials. However, when you use the shutter speed dials of the Fuji cameras, you have to resort to using the flimsy plastic back dial to adjust the shutter speed in third-stops, which completely defeats the purpose of having a metal shutter speed dial in the first place. Ironically, the Sony A7 and the Olympus cameras offer a much nicer manual shooting experience, even though both cameras still have the traditional PASM mode dial. There are furthermore lenses with aperture rings for the MFT and the Sony system, which means that Fuji practically doesn’t offer anything unique in this department anymore. I find this really strange, especially since Fuji should have some experience because of their analog rangefinders like theGF670, which had a shutter speed dial that even incorporated exposure compensation into the shutter. Conclusion: The manual controls of the Fuji-X-system are nothing more than a gimmick and do not encourage to 'get out of auto'.

2) The Metering System fails to achieve be a useful for landscape photographers

Given that we can use electronic viewfinders with both cameras, I simply don’t understand why Fuji doesn’t incorporate some sort of indication showing what the camera meters on. It would especially be helpful to be able to see the spot of spot metering and it would be even better, of you could move the spot metering spot around. This would be a tremendous help especially for landscape photographers, because you could meter different areas without moving the camera. This could also render a manual meter completely obsolete. It would further be helpful if the user could select the calibration of the light meter. Traditionally, the spot meter only meters medium grey (18% grey or zone 5 in terms of Ansel’s zone system). It would be a tremendous help if you could set the meter to other zones in order to get a perfect exposure in complex lighting situations. Sure, the photographer could also meter the area for zone 5 and make manual adjustments to push or pull the exposure to the intended zone. The problem with that is that the dynamic range of the X-Trans sensors is not consistent for all ISO values, which means that manual adjustments can be rather complicated to execute. Conclusion: If Fuji would include a feature like this, it would easily revolutionise a traditional landscape workflow. Frame, meter, set exposure, focus. All with a tiny instrument and without moving the camera around. I don't see why a system like this isn't the standard for mirrorless camera that meter directly off the sensor.

3) The Lineup is still weak for Portrait, Macro & Flash Photography

I really wonder why there isn’t a decent portrait/macro lens for the Fuji System. Both, the 56mm and the 60mm are in my opinion too short to provide flattering compression and the 90mm will be quite a beast and I’m note sure whether it will have any macro capabilities. I also might be a little bit too long for macro work (given that it will have a 135mm FOV). A perfect Lens would be a 70 or 75mm f2 with a well working focus limiter. This lens in combination with the 14mm and the 35mm would make for a hell of a travel/landscape combination and make a very decent fit for 99% of all shooting conditions. The MFT system already offers similarly great combination of three lenses with their 60mm macro, 45mm and 12 mm. This is why am actually considering switching to MFT. A much stranger, but perhaps genius idea would be to build a x100s tele counterpart with a fixed 75mm lens with a leaf shutter. With this combination, I would sell anything else I have an live happily ever after, knowing that this combination would be incredibly useful for flash work (since I could benefit from unlimited sync speeds), as well as 95% of most other shooting conditions. Another Problem in this regard are the sync speeds of most Fuji bodies. My lovely X100s offers phenomenal sync speeds. The EVIL options, however, are even behind DSLR standard. I don't understand why sync speeds of 1/500 aren't possible, especially since Nikon already achieved this with the D40 almost 10 years ago. I am not an expert on technical limitations of camera shutters, but I could imagine that the sync speeds of modern cameras are so low because shutters are build for higher frame rates in continuous shooting. If there is actually a limitation like this, Fuji could use this as an opportunity and build one pro-line body (x-t2?) with high frame rates in continuous shooting and one model with a high sync-speed and silent shutter for portrait and travel photography (x-pro2?). I believe a segmentation of camera bodies would be a very, very refreshing and healthy novelty for the camera market, which is already oversaturated with 999.999 almost identical DSLR bodies. Conclusion: There is a lot of potential for future development and segmentation both for camera lenses and bodies.

4) Flash

Speaking of Flash: Flash with Fuji is awful as we all know. Rather than cooperating with what's left of METZ, Fuji should maybe find a partnership with a Flash manufacturer like Nissin or even Yongnuo and do something that hasn't been done before (at least to my knowledge). Some of the Yongnuo flashes incorporate TTL receivers in the the Flashbody. This helps to avoid clutter in the camera bag for wto reasons: First, you don't need to carry a receiver. Second, you don't need a second set of AAA batteries just for the stupid receiver. Now imagine how great it would be if a TTL transmitter for this flash would be built in and fully adjustable from the camera. The Flash and the camera could communicate without the need for any additional equipment and batteries. As a travel photographer, I would be in heaven since my gear would once again be much simplified. If these internal transmitters and receivers would allow for high sync speed (which the Fuji-bodies should have, see above), you could get away with using relatively small flashes, since you could make better use of them. Again: Lighter and simpler gear. Conclusion: Fuji could do a lot to achieve the proclaimed target of mirrorless photography (light and simple gear) for flashwork.

5) Get rid of clutter

Finally, I want to address a minor point, that is nevertheless very important to me. I have two Fuji cameras, which use two freaking different kinds of batteries. If I go on a short trip and try to fit everything in my small camera bag, I hate that I have to bring to sets of batteries. Please, Fuji, in the future use the chunky NP-W126 of the X-T1 for all of your High-End bodies. And here is a even greater idea: If you decide on a great option for flash photography, offer us a flash that uses the same rechargeable lithium Ion batteries as the camera! The Godox V850 uses a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, which means that it cannot be impossible. Also, if you give us fast sync speeds (see above) we don't need really powerful flashes, which could make the use of relatively small Li-Ion batteries possible. Conclusion: Please, Fuji, do stuff to help us minimising clutter.

All right, that was it for the moment. Let me know what you think.

Well as far as I'm concerned, I think you are being overly critical.

1. The shutter speed dial is reflective of every camera ever made (to the best of my knowledge) that has a manual shutter speed dial. The ability to adjust in third stops using the dial is a bonus. The new changes with FW4 will further enhance this for manual shooters. Trying to have 40 odd click-stops on such a small dial would be overkill.

2. Seriously? Take a shot and review the viewfinder display, or bracket - it's on a tripod for goodness sake. Better yet shoot in RAW.

3. If the 56mm is too short and the 90mm is too big I don't know what they could do for you. 85mm effective focal length has been portrait standard for years. The 90mm (135mm equivalent) is the next step in virtually every pro system. Got an issue? Use the 60mm macro and cover your portrait AND macro needs.

4. Yes the Fuji system has flash shortcomings. They know it and are working on it. Buy a couple of cheap Yongnuo triggers and get over it until they bring out the new flash units.

5. Don't you think if Fuji could fit the X-T1 battery in the X100T they would have done it? It's like a pro canon shooter complaining that his 1Dx battery won't fit in a 5D3. Wow, Fuji is doing this "horribly wrong". If managing two battery types messes you up this much don't get a X100T.

Some of your suggestions are valid, but they are certainly not things Fuji is doing "horribly wrong".

Well as far as I'm concerned, I think you are being overly critical.

1. The shutter speed dial is reflective of every camera ever made (to the best of my knowledge) that has a manual shutter speed dial. The ability to adjust in third stops using the dial is a bonus. The new changes with FW4 will further enhance this for manual shooters. Trying to have 40 odd click-stops on such a small dial would be overkill.

2. Seriously? Take a shot and review the viewfinder display, or bracket - it's on a tripod for goodness sake. Better yet shoot in RAW.

3. If the 56mm is too short and the 90mm is too big I don't know what they could do for you. 85mm effective focal length has been portrait standard for years. The 90mm (135mm equivalent) is the next step in virtually every pro system. Got an issue? Use the 60mm macro and cover your portrait AND macro needs.

4. Yes the Fuji system has flash shortcomings. They know it and are working on it. Buy a couple of cheap Yongnuo triggers and get over it until they bring out the new flash units.

5. Don't you think if Fuji could fit the X-T1 battery in the X100T they would have done it? It's like a pro canon shooter complaining that his 1Dx battery won't fit in a 5D3. Wow, Fuji is doing this "horribly wrong". If managing two battery types messes you up this much don't get a X100T.

Some of your suggestions are valid, but they are certainly not things Fuji is doing "horribly wrong".

Hey Antoni, 

thanks for you reply. You are right in one regard: 'Horribly wrong' certainly is an exaggeration. A more appropriate title may have been 'five desirable improvements' or something like this. Nevertheless, I stand by my points, please let me elaborate on them:

1) Even Leica shutter speed dials have half stops, which matches the half stops of the lenses. The shutter speed dial of my friends M9 is really quite easy to turn with your index finger, which makes manual shooting a joy. Fuji could do something like this.

2) I shoot raw, I mostly use spot metering for tricky lighting conditions and have to move the camera around for this. In my experience I get better detail if I don't have to push or pull the exposure in post.

3) The 60mm is the closest to what I want, but it is not a great lens to use.

4) As explained, I hate carrying around extra equipment. I agree that this would be a novelty, but IMO Fuji should strive to offer something unique and this was just a suggestion for a great solution.

5) I'm not an engineer and don't know if it would be possible to fit a larger battery in a x100s successor. However, if it is possible, it would be a great addition. I see your point with the comparison of the canon 1dx and the 5d mark III, but these cameras are very different in size, given that the 1Dx features a built in battery grip. In contrast with that, the Fuji cameras have roughly the same size and - again - the main mantra of this system is portability. More uniform equipment - the batteries just being one example - could be great addition to the system.

Anywho, thanks for your input! 

1.  I adjust my shutter speed dial with my index finger every time I adjust my shutter speed.  I really don't know how much easier it could get for you honestly.  It was so natural to me, that I actually had to just check to make sure that's how I do it.  Shooting manual is a complete and utter joy with the X-T1.

2.  I don't have any problems with metering because I am shooting in manual.  When I shoot in AP, I just meter and recompose.  Don't really see a problem with this because I've been doing it for so long.  Perhaps I don't understand what you are asking for here, but honestly with photography isn't there always a compromise? I shoot raw and recover what I can in post.  Decisions about what I'm metering for are made on the spot and I adjust my settings accordingly.

3.  Not sure what's going to make you happy here, but we all know Fuji is still fleshing out their lens line up.  To compare them to an established DSLR market like Canon or Nikon, or a M43 market with a crap ton of lenses just isn't right.  If they didn't have what you wanted and you didn't want to wait, you probably shouldn't have come to Fuji at this time.  They are working hard to cover all their bases with lenses, then they'll go back and fill in some holes.  Give them time.

4.  We all know Fuji is working on this, and have been for quite some time.  When they bring a system out, it will meet the demands of their customer base, until then, you'll just have to carry a little bit of extra equipment.  I have no doubts that Fuji is striving for something unique and original.

5.  Just the way it is.  Buy to X-T1's..Problem solved.  One battery.  One charger...

My T1 perfectly shows the spot it's metering on. It's the same spot as the AF frame in Single-Point AF. So currently, I have 49 spots in 5 sizes to choose from, that's 245 different spot metering frames. I'm sure, other cameras (maybe you can name one) offer even more spot metering fine-tuning, but I'm okay with these options.

Btw, the shutter speed dial of my current T1 bodies (I have two) turns too easily. I often change the SS by accident when I change the metering mode. So I'd rather like Fuji add more torque, not less. Other users have voiced similar complaints, so as it is now, Fuji can choose between three groups: those who complain the SS dial turns too easily, those who complain that it turns too strongly and those who are perfectly happy with the dial and will complain if Fuji changes anything. Of course, there's also the option to set the SS dial to T and use the front command dial to change the shutter speed in 1/3 steps from 30s to 1/32000s. Actually, that's what I mostly do with my X-T10 and X-T1v4.

Lenses: Fuji already offers the best APS-C lens lineup of the industry. Just this weekend, I had a Pentax K5 shooter in one of my workshops who is already using an X30 and wants to switch to the X-T10. Why? Because even Pentax (the alleged king of APS-C DLSRs) doesn't give him the lenses he wants. But Fuji does. Of course, Fuji keeps adding lenses at a nice pace (several new additions every year).

As for flash: Some top flash photographers (David Hobby, Damien Lovegrove) are using Fujifilm cameras, so it can't be that bad if you know what you are doing. Also, the Nissin i40 is a great fit, and it already supports HSS in manual mode, which can be helpful in the field. Of course, Fuji has promised to enhance flash with wireless TTL, groups, TTL-HSS, flash in Continuous mode etc. And it would already have happened w/o the Metz bankruptcy.

Now, if all this is cause for terrible horror (or maybe even horrible terror), it might me better to move to a less scary place. After all, peace of mind and a calm sleep w/o nightmares are important values by themselves.

Personally, I like your metering suggestion, though I do think for it to be truly useful it there would need to be a touch screen and the metering should be disconnected from the focus point. It would be great for me to pick "Zone System" from the metering options, tap the white and black points on the screen and have the camera pick the exposure from there. That would be awesome and I would think simple enough to implement. I have wondered for a while why I have never seen it.

Speaking of touch screens, I miss the touch to set focus point. I don't miss the scads of touch to change setting options. I would love to see Fuji implement a touch screen that was fully customizable. I could turn it completely off if I wanted or could just turn on touch focus, metering, and pinch to zoom along with select settings changes (like the various AF modes). Let me decide what stuff I use enough to justify touch screen access and what stuff can just stay hidden in the menu system.

I don't have a particular opinion about the rest of your points. Better flash would be nice and I would expect it to come along at some point. I do not have an issue with the lens lineup or road map. I think they are brilliantly offering a great fast prime selection and keeping the quality way up there to entice people over. I suspect that if I found the 56 to be too short then the 90 would be the perfect next step - don't see an overall advantage to sticking another prime in the middle. A flash that used the camera battery would be great - I hate having to have AA's floating around. Then again I rarely use flash and going out once a year to buy a monster pack of AA's to shoot all day flash would certainly be cheaper than having a stack of mostly unused camera batteries laying around.

Mike

Personally, I like your metering suggestion, though I do think for it to be truly useful it there would need to be a touch screen and the metering should be disconnected from the focus point. It would be great for me to pick "Zone System" from the metering options, tap the white and black points on the screen and have the camera pick the exposure from there. That would be awesome and I would think simple enough to implement. I have wondered for a while why I have never seen it.

I have been using zone metering in my X-T1 and other cameras for a long time. After all, my X-T1 shows me the exact zone of each part of the image in 1/3 steps between Zones 2 and 8. All I have to do is set the camera to manual mode, select ISO, aperture and shutter speed, set spot metering and point the camera's metering frame at whatever part of the image I want to zone-meter. Thanks to the 245 available zone metering frame positions and sizes, it's easy to adjust the metering frame to whatever object I want to meter. The light level scale in the EVF immediately shows me what zone the metered object will end up in: 0 equals zone 5, -3 equals zone 2, +3 equals zone 8. It's idiot-proof, so even I can use it. 

I have been using zone metering in my X-T1 and other cameras for a long time. After all, my X-T1 shows me the exact zone of each part of the image in 1/3 steps between Zones 2 and 8. All I have to do is set the camera to manual mode, select ISO, aperture and shutter speed, set spot metering and point the camera's metering frame to whatever part of the image I want to zone-meter. Thanks to the 245 available zone metering frame positions and sizes, it's easy to adjust the metering frame to whatever object I want to meter. The light level scale in the EVF immediately shows me what zone the metered object will end up in: 0 equals zone 5, -3 equals zone 2, +3 equals zone 8. It's idiot-proof, so even I can use it. 

Is this stuff in your book?  I really need to get it.

I'm pretty sure there are at least 5 things you're doing horribly wrong as a photographer that need fixing before listing minor inconveniences that bother you.

None of the above matters. Manual controls are fine, portraits are stunning, metering never fails (how do you manage to get it wrong? ) if you're into heavy strobing you picked the wrong system, batteries yeah OK why not, tho if you carry two cameras I don't see why you'd bring more than one spare for each, if you're shooting more than 1200 pictures a day I've got some bad news for you.

Blablabla.

Gentlemen, 

I want to apologize if I offended anyone. I can see how opinions about the points I made can defer and I therefore only want to elaborate on one of the points in questions. Flysurfer, you mentioned that the light level scale shows you exactly in third stop increments everything from zone 2 to zone 8. This assumes that one stop equals one zone of the zone system, which is incorrect. The number of zones (or the latitude of each zone for that matter) depends on the dynamic range of the medium. The X-Trans-II sensor has a dynamic range roughly between 12 and 13 stops, depending on the ISO value. To assume that 1 stop EV = 1 zone is therefore not correct. I furthermore just want to emphasise that I like the Fuji -X system more than any other mirrorless system on the marked. I do, however, fear that Fuji will be overrun by sony and the MFT system if it doesn't offer something truly unique. I therefore just thought about what Fuji should in my opinion do to further develop the x system in accordance with what the x-system stands for to achieve a competitive advantage. I sincerely apologise if anyone took offence or felt that these thoughts were close to spam.

I would, however, find it quite interesting whether other Fuji users would have similar ideas or suggestions to make the fuji x cameras something truly unique and an even better tool for photography.

Jesus Christ a 35mm f/1.4 of that quality at 370€, a camera (X-E1 as I own it) that nails perfect exposure, WB and colours one shot after the other, aperture ring and speed dial and evf in such a small, robust package it is unique, come back on earth.

Does Samsung do it? No. Sony? No. Canikon? No. Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Third-stop shutter adjustment is available on most Fuji cameras, typically via a front control dial. (Sometimes a rear dial in certain modes.) Also, while I do not believe this excuses the full-stop main shutter dial, I will point out that most film cameras, which the Fuji body styles try to emulate, also have shutter dials marked only in full stops. Even my ludicrously-expensive-at-the-time Mamiya medium format camera only has the shuter marked in half-stops. You do get used to these things. Again, I don't believe it fully excuses the slightly awkward and outdated dial, but there is a reason for it, and, as I said, most Fuji cameras do let you adjust the shutter and aperture in third-stops anyway, via additional controls.

2.) It already does what you're asking for. If you use spot metering, the metering is tied to the focus point selected and the spot metering is taken from a sample size matching the smallest size of focus area. (Note that making the focus area larger does not increase the size of the area used for spot metering.) On the X-T1 you can change it in the menu to decouple the spot metering from the focus point so spot metering is always in the middle, regardless of where the focus point is set. This does also mean that, when coupled (which, I think, is the default), yes, you can move the spot metering around. I forget if the X100S has this option in the menu or not. My personal opinion is that if you're trying to shoot a scene with a large dynamic range then you shouldn't be relying on any form of automatic metering anyway.

3.) I half agree and half not. I have been screaming for a 70-73mm f/2 lens for the best part of a year and I never see my friends in Fuji PR without mentioning it to them. A 100-105mm equivalent is an absolute must, as far as I care, and the moment it it out I will be selling my 56mm and 60mm lenses. That said, I absolutely do not want it to have macro functionality, or any other feature which would increase its price, size or slow down focusing. (E.g. weather sealing, image stabilisation, an apodisation filter, etc.)
As for longer macro lenses, in the Canon and medium format worlds, focal lengths in excess of 150mm are very popular for macro photography precisely because of the longer working distance.
HSS is physically possible with mirrorless but it is much harder and much more expensive to do than with a SLR. Given the limited uses for HSS, you're better off simply using ND filters. Leaf shutters are expensive and typically have to be made for the lens and are not something you can stick on a body without pricing yourself out of the market. If HSS is something you feel you rally need, mirrorless as a format—not just Fuji, but any mirrorless camera—is not going to be for you. There are compromises that can be made, some bodies can make certain advancements, but this is one of those areas where mirrorless is always going to be 5-10 years behind SLR and if it's that important to you, you simply are not the target market for mirrorless.

Most of your third point, by the way, makes it sound like what you really want is a medium format system but somehow 1/6th the size, cost and weight. The cost of a digital back for a mid-90s medium format camera is about the same as a body and a set of three lenses costs, by the way. If that's the kind of shooting experience and options you want and the size doesn't bother you, you'll be better off going that route.

4.) No company currently offers what you're asking for. The closest you can get is the Cactus system, which a) is very cheap and B) works with every brand, or any mixture of brands, you can name. It doesn't have TTL, but since one Cactus trigger and any number of Cactus flashguns gives you full remote control in 1/10th-stop increments and flash zoom control right from the trigger, you have far more contol than any other flash system gives you, anyway. And that's just with one trigger on the camera, since the flashes themselves have the reciever built-in. No company in the world can give you radio-transmitted TTL without both triggers and recievers. The next closest thing would be Canon's commander mode, on their lower-end bodies using the pop-up flash, but that's not radio triggering and it is very limited.

This part sounds very confusing, to me, because you seem to have a very strong idea of what you want and make out that you have quite demanding needs, yet you're asking for small-as-possible TTL, which to me screams happy snappy amateur. If you want and need professional control, why use TTL and why care about whether or not you need to buy another reciever? If you just want and need something small and quick, just stick the flashgun on top of the camera and bounce it off a wall. Fill flash outdoors? Use an ND filter and you're set. It reads like you don't actually know what you want and need.

5.) That's more of a technical limitation. There's only so much space in a body. The WP-126 is used by most Fuji cameras: the Pro, E and T lines all use it. I believe the M and A also use it, but I'm not sure. The X100 line is a problem because they're trying to cram far more in to a smaller-size body; you've probably noticed from the weight that the X100S is the 'densest' camera Fuji makes, weighing much more than other cameras of its size.
I would love it if every camera I have used the same battery, but it's just not physically possible. Just as a 5D and a 1D-X don't use the same batteries, there are always going to be a few models in any product line which use different batteries.
You also underestimate the power needed for fast sync. Either you have to make the flash burst, greatly increasing the power needed, or you make it shorter but prime and latch it, making the system overall use more power. Either way, HSS uses more power than regular use.

I say this as someone who likes his Fujis, but also likes Sony's mirrorless cameras, has been impressed with micro 4/3 and still uses several Canon digital cameras, digital medium format, film medium format and 35mm film: mirrorless is not for you. It simply sounds like you're either completely misunderstanding what different types of camera and different systems do, or you're simply so set on one method of shooting that you're unlikely to learn to change to the mirrorless way of shooting. Your first couple of points illustrate a lack of understanding of basic functionality of your cameras, and your later remarks suggest you'd simply be much better off using an SLR camera, or even a medium format.

I do not defend Fuji, typically. I give their PR hell all the time, especially when it comes to that 70mm lens. But, one lens focal length aside, none of your complaints hold water. You just don't seem to know what you're holding or why you're holding it.

Geez - while I like opposing arguments and counter proposals attacking someone personally is not called for on any forum.  The OP expressed his opinions as so should others openly and freely.  Please don't ruin the enjoyment of this forum.  I'm new to this forum and will probably want discuss something that I may not fully understand or quite possibly/probably technically incorrect.   I'm more than open to be corrected but I won't stand for being attacked and nor should others (specially by so called advance members) - ,my opinion.  Lighten up.

Hi All,

If metering is your issue why rely on the small in camera sensor. Buy a dedicated spot meter like the sekonic L-758D. it has a 1 degree spot measurement, you can set up profiles for each camera you own and will work out averages for a scene. Expensive but worth it.  

Haha, I clicked on this thread thinking the first one would be X-Trans 'watercolour' effect, which as far as I'm personally concerned is now the only real 'horribly wrong' the Fuji X System suffers with, and even then only on specific subjects which accentuate the problem (fine green grass/foliage, etc.), and even then only when processed without the help of Iridient. A royal PITA to be sure, but at least there's a workaround until Adobe (ever, finally?) get their butts into gear.

Personally, I love the shutter dial (although half stops would be nice) and the newer version of the X-T1 I now have has a better weighted Exposure Comp dial (the first copy was so stiff I had to use two fingers and take my eye out of the VF). Great ergonomics overall and one of the main reasons I love this system and put up with X-Trans issues.

I find the metering system just as good as any other system I've used. Perhaps the latest Nikon system is better, but in practice I don't notice much difference in the real world. What could be nice is a better histogram in the VF, or perhaps selectable zebra patterns (settable to a zone?) for exposure.

I love the lens lineup! Best thing about the system, IMO. Great and ever increasing range, superb image quality, sensible speed/size balance, pull-back to MF, aperture dials on many. Lovely stuff.

Flash options could be better.

I don't find 'clutter' an issue, if anything I love how much of this lovely system I can carry without giving myself a herniated disc.

The only other thing I wish were better, apart from X-Trans processing issues, is better dynamic range at base ISO, rather than having to use the DR modes and upping ISO to achieve it.

Wow in one of your posts you compare Fuji to a Leica, even the most espensive Fuji is several thousand pounds cheaper, and to be honest full stop increments on SS is a sacrifice I am willing to make in order to not have to pay those prices and get the image quality that comes from my humble X-E2.

Its just an amazing camera, could it be better yes. Would I go back to M4/3's no way. Hell when I bought my fuji i had funds availalbel thanks to an insurance claim to buy anything I wanted upto and including a Sony A7r. I checked out the following cameras

Lumix GH4

Olympus EM1/EM10

Sony A7R

Sony A6000

Fuji X-T1

Fuji X-E2

The fuji was the camera and glass that impressed me the most, I went with X-E2 as at the time the difference between features was not that great (how wrong did I get that :)), and i liked the form factor better.

This is funny. I can think of a list of things that I think Fujifilm is doing wrong, but they're none of this list.

1. I use aperture priority mode 90% of the time (especially with the sweet, long-lost ability to actually use an aperture ring — thanks, Fujifilm!), so I don't care about detailed adjustments to shutter speed. And if I do want to set both, I'm usually fine with full stops for shutter speed.
  2. This seems like it'd be an okay enhancement, but I'm not getting the angst. There's a histogram, and you can review your photos right after — surely if you're taking landscape photographs you have a little time to prepare.
  3. a. It would be nice if they offered a 70mm lens for portraiture. I love my Pentax 70mm DA Limited lens. But the 56mm is a great portrait lens, and I'm hearing good things about the 90mm macro too. In 35mm film terms, that covers 85mm-e and 135mm-e — both traditional focal lengths! — and leaves a gap at traditional 105mm-e. But.... that's not so much "horribly wrong" as "a gap to fill inthe future. And, b, the flash sync speed: since many (all? I dunno) Fujifilm X cameras offer a hybrid electronic/physical shutter, it does seem like higher sync speeds would be possible. Eh. This has never been so important to me, but it would be nice.
  4. I use a Godox V850 (actually, the Cheetah Light variant, sold in the US with great customer service and US-based support), which is low, cost and gives very convient control right from the camera. As you mention in your #5, its lithium battery is awesome. Built-in radio would be cool, but likely to be limited to expensive branded flashes. (Incentive for third-party manufacturers to support anyone other than Canon or Nikon is very low.) And, it'd also take away some of the precious control space on the body itself...
  5. X-T10 uses the same battery as the X-T1, so this may be going in the right direction. But I really don't think Fujifilm is any worse than anyone else here!

And FWIW, here's my list. Except I don't think any of these things are horrible.

1. I like the 23mm f/1.4, but it's pretty bulky. The pancakes are going too far in the other direction and compromise on image quality. I'd like a 23mm f/2.8 with weather sealing, to go with the upcoming 35mm f/2 (with weather sealing in the pictures, even if not the roadmap — fingers crossed).

2. Not enough customization options. Why can't I set the front dial to be ISO directly, without needing to push in first and then turn?

3. And, of the options that do exist,  the custom modes don't remember enough stuff — only certain options can be set here. And, very minor while I'm at it, I'd love to be able to put names to configuration sets.

4. High ISO: kind of iffy. Not quite sure why this is — I understand the underlying sensor to be the 16mpix Sony which generally people rave about in Sony, Pentax, and Nikon cameras.

5. In-body stabilization. C'mon, with these nice primes, it'd be a huge win. Really missing this coming from Pentax.

6. Wait, I get six, right? The in-camera manual RAW development is incredibly primative. There should be many more adjustments available, with live preview of the effect. Pentax does it, and this is incredibly, incredibly valuable to primarily-JPEG shooters who want to take advantage of the great in-camera JPEG engine but sometimes want a little more control and the ability to make after-the-fact decisions.

1) Even Leica shutter speed dials have half stops, which matches the half stops of the lenses. The shutter speed dial of my friends M9 is really quite easy to turn with your index finger, which makes manual shooting a joy. Fuji could do something like this.

I'm no expert in Leicas but I believe half stops in speed dials are only possible on mechanical Ms and then only at the cost of total lack of precision, because you're actually exploiting the mechanical gap between steps...

Things Fuji are getting wrong?

Blimey, I didn't realise they were doing sooooo much wrong that it required a serious debate.

I was very much of the impression that Fuji are doing an awful lot of thinga much better than the other brands.

My only real gripe is why do they make cameras for such small hands - but that has pretty much been explained in another thread.

It would be nice to have a second card slot, or a wifi link up to the iPad that works for back up purposes - but I'm not a pro so I'm being picky.

I'd love an ISO facility of 1024000 but I'm again honest enough to know that is me just being lazy and not wanting to carry a tripod or cable release.

I do have a shutter speed of 1/32000th sec available to me - not enough? Seriously? Haven't found a need for it yet.

Oooohhhh - just found a serious one - I need a body with go faster stripes on it so it looks really really cool. (not!)

OK, that is the end of my comment on this thread.

There is one last point - if you're really happy with Fuji, you can always pay the much higher price premium for one of those more popular brands...