Turn camera off and on again error message

• 6 months later...

The GFX system along with all its lenses is an ongoing issue with customers. There is no fix or solution to the error message. Fuji continues to push forward developing new cameras and introducing new lenses yet ignores the issue with its customers.

If I ever were to miss out on a shot being on location with my GFX system I will move on to another brand and never look back. 

**********FIX IT FUJI**********

• 10 months later...

It is 2020 and same problem here with a brand new GFX 100 and 63 mm lens. Tried everything from removing the lens, taking the batteries out etc. Nothing works. Have no other lens for the moment so couldn’t swap lenses to see if the problem persists. Fuji told me to send in lens and body. Repair 3 to 4 weeks ! Can’t imagine what happens if I am inmidst of an important photoshoot with this occuring. I can’t buy a second body at this price just because it is this unreliable. I’d rather go for Phase One. In the meantime I feel lucky to have a Nikon D850 workhorse as fallback. That one never failed me.

One day later... although the problem with the camera persists, I am much relieved that FUJI service proposed an immediate replacement of camera and lens as I was within ten days of purchase. Let’s just hope this issue doesn’t affect my new camera that should be here by tomorrow. As much as I was disappointed by the technical problem, I have to be honest and say I was really glad with the professional and immediate help from Fuji. Much appreciated and reassuring should anything happen again down the line.

• 3 months later...

Although there may be multiple reasons for the error message "TURN CAMERA ON AND OFF AGAIN" including a true mechanical problem, I may have another solution that might work for some. I recently purchased a new 10-24 XF zoom. Upon initial installation on both a X-T3 and an X-T30 body that I own, I immediatelly got the dreaded message. I swapped bodies, turned on/off multiple times took out the battery for 2 minutes and reinstalled it, cleaned the contacts multiple times, all to no avail. Finally I thought of checking the Body and lens firmware (in the off position press and hold the Disp/Back button and turn on the camera) and "Voila" the problem was solved. No more "TURN CAMERA ON AND OFF AGAIN" on either body and several attempts of mounting and dismounting the lens were immediately successful. Hopefully I will not see it again.

Correct. It seems the process of checking the firmware allowed communication between the camera and lens. You should probably then update the firmware if needed. In my case the lens firmware was the latest but the camera was one minor update behind.

Again as I mentioned there may be other reasons for the error message, but it's worth a try.

I've had a similar issue a couple of times (years ago) with an X-T2 and it happened again with a loaner GFX50S a while ago. Usually it was solved by switching the camera off/on and in between re-mounting the lens. I've talked about this to a camera repair company here in Switzerland and this is the (unconfirmed) story they gave me:

>>The older X-cameras don't have a particularly strong mount. That is why Fuji made a big point about strengthening the mount of the X-H1. They told us it was for the upcoming heavier 'pro' lenses, but in fact it was for all lenses beyond the smaller f2-line. When the contacts between camera and lens don't work well, two things may happen: (a) no contact, which results in the infamous "f0" error message or (b) poor contact which leads to an electric charge building up between the contacts that will trigger eventually the "turn off/on" message to force a kind of discharge. Forcing comms between camera and lens (like a firmware check, induces a similar reset. The contacts of both the X and the GFX mount are quite fragile, but in order to maintain compatibility there's not a lot Fuji can do about the physical part of the issue. The only thing they can do is through firmware produce this "turn off/on" message. They do by the way the same for similar issues with card read/write errors (another issue that affects Fuji cameras more than some other brands - which is why Fuji is more critical to using the 'right' SD cards).<<

The issue of the camera/lens contacts is often triggered by a small 'accident' like dropping the camera or bumping it. Heavier lenses (by nature) are more often affected. What amazed me was that it seems not solved in the GFX mount. Obviously the heavier cameras and lenses put more strain to the mount, but with a new engineered mount you wouldn't expect this.

PS. by the way, the "f0" error that I sometimes get on my X-H1 is induced when I disconnect the camera from my iPhone (bluetooth). I hope this was solved in the recent 2.10 firmware under "small bug fixes".