Turn camera off and on again error message

I was trying out a brand new GFX w/ the 63m lens and keep getting an error message "!turn the camera off and then on again".  Sometimes it clears it, sometimes it doesn't. The GFX is doing it somewhat randomly so it's hard to diagnose.  Today, wit's doing it repeatedly at times making the camera inoperable for long periods.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

Only two things:

I haven't experienced that so far. Using my GFX for nearly a month every day now. So I wouldn't consider this a "normal" error.

I had the same experience, though, with my then brand new X-Pro2. I heard different stories about the reason: broken/weak battery, hardware failure, firmware. Some people reported, the this never happened to them, some, that they have it all the time. Since one of the first firmware updates, it never happened again.

My theory is, that Fujifilm programmed the firmware very near the limits of the hardware. More efficient programming, bugfixing and so on in later firmware updates may avoid these pitfalls and everything goes away. Also the firmware programmers have to learn how to handle the hardware.

Anyway, if this is a reproducible problem, contact either Fujifilm or your dealer. They should handle it...

While photographing about 70 items from a private art collection yesterday, using the GFX, the view finder extender and Fujinon 63mm f2.8 lens on a 3 Legged Things tripod, about every two or three times I changed the position of the camera by moving the tripod ball head I received the "turn camera off and on again message." Annoying and this only happens on Fuji cameras.  There was nothing blocking the auto-focus movement of the lens, which is the usual  culprit (or, at least, that's how the XPro-2 operates).  This must have happened 15 - 20 times in the course of 2 hours.

I have also seen the message when the lens hood is even slightly askew.

This happens usually if we obstruct the 63mm lens to sit in its normal position when the camera is turned on. There is physical movement of the lens when turning the camera on and if we block it, we get the message mentioned to "!turn the camera off and then on again". Hope this helps

This happens usually if we obstruct the 63mm lens to sit in its normal position when the camera is turned on. There is physical movement of the lens when turning the camera on and if we block it, we get the message mentioned to "!turn the camera off and then on again". Hope this helps

In my case, I'm not getting the message when I turn the camera on, it's always been while in use.

That is a bit weird then in your case ptortora. 

The same message appeared on my friend's GFX and the cause was due to lens obstruction of 63mm while turning the camera on as he turned it on during the time when he was letting the lens face down in his lap. when I explained the reason, it worked fine with him

Your 63 mm lens is faulty. It will do this with any GFX body. The reason I say this is that I was about to buy a GFX with a 63 in Prague couple of weeks ago and the lens I was going to buy displayed the same behaviour with both the sale body and the store's demo body - and both bodies worked fine with the store's demo lens (which they couldn't sell me). In the end, I bought my camera/lens in another city a week later (tested both in store to make sure they work)...the sales guy told me there were some "pre-production" firmware lenses floating around that were causing this problem. In short, your body is probably working fine and you need a replacement lens.

Edited by albireo_double

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Today I am owner of brand new GFX 50 & 63/2.8, after ~7 months of waiting. First thing I did was to update firmware to 1.10 (the latest). However, I am off to a very shaky start.. As I seem to have the infamous "Fujifilm f/0 aperture" problem. The camera does not appear to be recognizing the lens. I tried to clean the lens contacts, no help. Only way to fix the issue is to remove battery and reinsert it and then it works again. This happens totally randomly. Just my luck to receive a bad sample. Anyone, I would be curious to know how many exactly are having these issues? It is very unfortunate problem and I hope Fujifilm gets to the bottom of this problem as fast as possible...

Hi all.

Today I am owner of brand new GFX 50 & 63/2.8, after ~7 months of waiting. First thing I did was to update firmware to 1.10 (the latest). However, I am off to a very shaky start.. As I seem to have the infamous "Fujifilm f/0 aperture" problem. The camera does not appear to be recognizing the lens. I tried to clean the lens contacts, no help. Only way to fix the issue is to remove battery and reinsert it and then it works again. This happens totally randomly. Just my luck to receive a bad sample. Anyone, I would be curious to know how many exactly are having these issues? It is very unfortunate problem and I hope Fujifilm gets to the bottom of this problem as fast as possible...

Hi Teemu,

as you know I have the same combination (GFX + 63mm). No such issues with mine nor with 2 other GFX bodies I've used. If this fault doesn't correct itself quickly, and assuming you bought this new from a Fuji dealer, I would be returning it for a replacement ASAP. This would be accepted in the UK within the first 30 days, I assume there is a similar protection for the buyer in Finland? Hope you get it sorted, it really is an excellent camera. I've quite a few images from it on my Flickr now if you want to compare, including those taken with the 23mm and 110mm lenses which I got last week.

Mark (2slo7)

Hi Teemu,

as you know I have the same combination (GFX + 63mm). No such issues with mine nor with 2 other GFX bodies I've used. If this fault doesn't correct itself quickly, and assuming you bought this new from a Fuji dealer, I would be returning it for a replacement ASAP. This would be accepted in the UK within the first 30 days, I assume there is a similar protection for the buyer in Finland? Hope you get it sorted, it really is an excellent camera. I've quite a few images from it on my Flickr now if you want to compare, including those taken with the 23mm and 110mm lenses which I got last week.

Mark (2slo7)

Hi Mark.

Yes, I believe I am in the minority having this issue and I believe it's just bad luck. Tomorrow I will ship it back and hopefully getting a new body + lens at earliest possible moment. And yes, I've seen your images, they are fabulous with lovely details. I can't wait to see how the 23mm will perform, I hope mine arrives soon as well. What is your opinion of the 110mm?

Hi Mark.

Yes, I believe I am in the minority having this issue and I believe it's just bad luck. Tomorrow I will ship it back and hopefully getting a new body + lens at earliest possible moment. And yes, I've seen your images, they are fabulous with lovely details. I can't wait to see how the 23mm will perform, I hope mine arrives soon as well. What is your opinion of the 110mm?

The 110mm has so far had the least use of the 3 lenses, not because I don't like it, just because I haven't had the opportunity to give it a thorough test. From what I've seen, it seems to render very much like my Canon 85mm F1.2L although the Fuji locks on a lot more reliably, the Canon can be a bit hit and miss. I don't know if you saw this image, it's about the only one I can show (others were family shots), I may get the chance to use it some more over the next few days, when I do I'll put some feedback on Flickr:

34644638324_d8ba1a9580_b.jpgPlatform flowers by Mark, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here but in my case the sign won't go away. It was working fine until yesterday. It's very frustrating because I'm In the middle of a research trip and I need the camera (I bought this lens for this). We try another lens and it work So the problem is clearly with the lens. The local representative says they can't change the lens only repair it. Such bad luck! Terrible problem that you wouldn't expect from this fine equipment. I hope Fuji comes forward with an urgent solution.

• 5 months later...

I was driving on day 1 of a 3 day journey to the start of an 8 day walk. It was going to be the most important photo shoot of my (38 years so far) career. I went to take a photo on the way and I got the infamous "Turn camera off and back on again" error message. I immediately contacted Fuji and their technician said it was the lens-camera contacts. I took the lens off and put it back on and the message was gone - but only briefly. I cleaned the contacts thoroughly and the camera worked intermittently. Ruined the photo shoot. I'm absolutely gutted. The (@#$%&^%$##$%^!!!) piece of crap is now back at Fuji getting repaired. In 38 years, it's the first unreliable camera I have ever owned. I only own one lens and almost never remove it. Frankly, I'm disgusted. What use is an unreliable camera? None at all - except maybe for taking very unimportant photos of my cats. It is utterly useless if I wanted to do an important photo shoot because it might not work. Fuji should include a free backup GFX for when the one you buy shits itself...

Unfortunately the timing was bad on you this time around. Be rest assured that if you were to take any other brands camera or lens should the unfortunate time calls you'd be in the same situation albeit different error message.

Many would not carry one body and one lens only for important photo ops.

This apply to all brands and all things too unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi eveyone, I am another unlucky owner of the 63mm, of to Polynesia for holidays, my camera and its 63 mm ask me to turn off and on the camera... for almost a 10000 $ camera after only few months of use!! Unbelievable ! I put my 110mm F4 it works just fine. Dont know if I can fix it myself or if I have to go back to Hong Kong to use the warranty? Feeling disapointed

There was nothing blocking the auto-focus movement of the lens, which is the usual  culprit (or, at least, that's how the XPro-2 operates). 

Thank you! I think that is exactly why I occasionally have seen this message. I will remember not to block the movement of the lens. It happens when I am 'trying things out' and not perhaps holding the camera as I should.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this error message with my XT-2 and 16/1.4 lens. I had dropped the 16 from a height of about 2.5-3' and then when mounted on the camera gave the "TURN CAMERA ON AND OFF AGAIN" message. Removing batteries etc did nothing to clear it. Then tried lens on my XT-1; same thing. Sent lens to Fuji Repair. cost $230 or so. Works fine now, but I have no idea what they wound up having to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting this error with my GFX50S and the Fujinon GF23mmF4 after updating the body to the latest firmware. (I did this exactly one month ago, and I am still waiting for a solution). My GF63mm still works fine.

Bought the camera in Belgium in october and I've been in South Africa for a few months now. The support from Fujifilm has been a complete disaster. While it's obviously a software problem, they want me to send the lens to the UK (from South Africa), where they will reinstall the lens firmware and then send it back. Problem is, I won't get it back here in time, and there's no replacement available here. Also, hi, it's 2018, you can easily send the lens firmware to me, and i'll reinstall it myself.

My camerastore in Belgium (where I bought it) forwarded the problem to Fujifilm Belgium, but they've been completely useless.

A Cape Town camerastore and the South African Fujifilm distributor have been trying to help but also weren't able to offer a solution. 

It's ok guys, it's only a 3000$ lens.  

If anyone here knows what is going on and can offer a solution, drinks on me :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am a GFX 50s owner/user and, so far, have not had that problem with my 63mm lens.  However, yesterday, I received a brand new X-H1 with a 16-55mm F2.8 lens and, just within a few hours of use, the message appeared more times than I could count.  Tech support has indicated that either the camera body or the lens is defective, but given the numerous accounts generated by users of different X series cameras, it's beginning to sound more like a series-wide issue.  IMO, whether this represents an inherent design flaw involving the lenses, firmware, or some common aspect of the camera bodies, remains to be determined.  But my GFX is a keeper ... the X-H1 is being returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Touching wood, I can truthfully say my kept GFX is remaining, I have had no issues with it thus far. Same with my 100F, no issues.

I did have the X-T2, no issues either. However the more I used it the more I found it not to my liking. When I picked up the X-H1 I new why, the grip and weight of this new camera is superior. The X-T2 and lenses are now gone leaving GFX and 100F. Don't get me wrong the X-T2 - nought wrong with it, just not 'my' camera. I am strangely more comfortable with the GFX/100F combination - they just feel great.

• 2 weeks later...

But only with 63 mm is the problem?or with other lens too?

Only with the 63mm. Haven't had this issue with the 110, 45, or the zoom lens.

• 3 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 6:50 AM, rokphish said:

Unfortunately the timing was bad on you this time around. Be rest assured that if you were to take any other brands camera or lens should the unfortunate time calls you'd be in the same situation albeit different error message.

Many would not carry one body and one lens only for important photo ops.

This apply to all brands and all things too unfortunately.

I have an XPro2 and a GFX and get the error message on both. In the case of the GFX it occurs with the 23mm only, and occurs 100% of the time. In the case of the XPro2 it occurs intermittently with all lenses.

I worked as a newspaper shooter for almost 50 years (Nikon for the first 35 years and then Canon) and can't recall a camera body letting me down.

2 hours ago, retired said:

I worked as a newspaper shooter for almost 50 years (Nikon for the first 35 years and then Canon) and can't recall a camera body letting me down.

In those 50 years you must have covered a lot of breaking stories and interesting happenings!