For X100F owners, can I ask you to set your camera to manual focus mode - using the digital scale set the point of focus to 10 feet. Manual exposure at say F8 @ 1/500th. Drive mode set to L.  Take a few pictures pointing the camera at various distances without moving the lens focus ring. Is the point of focus jumping around on the digital scale in the LCD or EVF.

I have have seen this happen on both the X100F and a friends X-T20. If you set the lens aperture to A mode it will hold at the set point of focus.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by terrycioni

Confirmed, my x100F has the same behavior with each successive burst moving the focusing distance inwards when the aperture is set between f/3.2 to f/16 . Starting at a focusing distance of 15', by the 10th set of pictures the focusing distance has moved down to approximately 3'.

This weird behavior was only observed from f/2.2 to f/16. When the camera was set to f/2.0 or A the focusing distance would hold. At f/2.2 and f/2.5, the focusing distance moves outwards increasing the focusing distance. At f/2.8 it is negligible but still shifting the focusing distance. From f/3.2 to f/16 the focusing distance movements shifts from moving outwards to moving inwards.

Looks like another bug that hopefully Fuji will address.

Cheers!

Rolly

Edited by rollypolly

Confirmed, my x100F has the same behavior with each successive burst moving the focusing distance inwards when the aperture is set between f/3.2 to f/16 . Starting at a focusing distance of 15', by the 10th set of pictures the focusing distance has moved down to approximately 3'.

This weird behavior was only observed from f/2.2 to f/16. When the camera was set to f/2.0 or A the focusing distance would hold. At f/2.2 and f/2.5, the focusing distance moves outwards increasing the focusing distance. At f/2.8 it is negligible but still shifting the focusing distance. From f/3.2 to f/16 the focusing distance movements shifts from moving outwards to moving inwards.

Looks like another bug that hopefully Fuji will address.

Cheers!

Rolly

Thanks Rolly. Proving I am not going nuts! What is interesting is the XT20 has the same problem. 

Cheers, Terry

Edited by terrycioni

Looks like the bug goes beyond the x100F.

The X-T20 exhibits more of a dancing distance focus shift when the shutter release is half-pressed. Same thing with the X-T2!

Only the X-PRO 2 seems to not have the problem but this is from preliminary testing.

There appear to be issues with Fuji's implementation of manual focusing by wire across TRANS III cameras.

Will report back to see if the upcoming firmware update addresses the issue for the X-T2.

Cheers!

Rolly

Edited by rollypolly

neal3k,

Click the Drive button/key on the keypad of the X100F it will take you to the menu option CONTINUOUS set that at L or M or H or SH. You can scroll up and that take you back to STILL IMAGE. When the X100F is Continuous mode it seems to cause the MF point to jump around from where it is set by the photographer.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Terry

• 1 month later...

For X100F owners, can I ask you to set your camera to manual focus mode - using the digital scale set the point of focus to 10 feet. Manual exposure at say F8 @ 1/500th. Drive mode set to L.  Take a few pictures pointing the camera at various distances without moving the lens focus ring. Is the point of focus jumping around on the digital scale in the LCD or EVF.

I have have seen this happen on both the X100F and a friends X-T20. If you set the lens aperture to A mode it will hold at the set point of focus.

Cheers, Terry

This has been fixed with latest firmware update thank you Fuji.

Cheers, Terry

• 2 weeks later...

This has been fixed with latest firmware update thank you Fuji.

Cheers, Terry

Hi I'm having the same issue as you described, and even with latest firmware 1.01 it still happens, it doesn't always happen, just randomly. Today it happened again and I recorded a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YISOoalH7Wc

Unfortunately I only had my iPhone with me, so you may need to set it to 1080p in order to see the distance indicator.

I suspect they fixed something so it doesn't always happen, but still something's missed :-(

Hi I'm having the same issue as you described, and even with latest firmware 1.01 it still happens, it doesn't always happen, just randomly. Today it happened again and I recorded a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YISOoalH7Wc

Unfortunately I only had my iPhone with me, so you may need to set it to 1080p in order to see the distance indicator.

I suspect they fixed something so it doesn't always happen, but still something's missed :-(

Sorry to hear this, but my X100F is working just fine after the firmware 1.01 install. Not sure why it isn't working for you but perhaps a call to Fuji support might help.

I might suggest you do a full reset - just to ensure that might solve the problem.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by terrycioni