Jonas Rask's review of the Mitakon 35mmF0.95

PascallacsaP

yes, interesting, but again, puzzling.

Rask, himself says that the main reason to buy this lens is to buy it to shoot wide open and that wide open the lens has only millimieters of sharpness due to its limited depth of field .

I too like shooting, especially portraits with, little depth of field or limited definition and in order to do this I use lenses or adapters. 

I just don’t know whether I would do it by means of a lens like this at the price of a lens like this.

this is a youtube review

Edited by milandro

yes, interesting, but again, puzzling.

Rask, himself says that the main reason to buy this lens is to buy it to shoot wide open and that wide open the lens has only millimieters of sharpness due to its limited depth of field .

I too like shooting, especially portraits with, little depth of field or limited definition and in order to do this I use lenses or adapters. 

I just don’t know whether I would do it by means of a lens like this at the price of a lens like this.

The razor-thin DOF wide open could actually be a challenge at closer focusing distances. My personal use of this lens would be "medium" focusing distances, such as with whole-body environmental portraits. At these distances, the DOF should be workable. I personally like this example (not my own, because I don't own the lens):

28661926566_3f344337e7.jpg

Untitled by Cat Zheng, on Flickr

For me, this photo shows the real potential of the Mitakon. After all, for close-up, shallow-DOF portraits, we already have the XF56 and XF90.

Thanks for the YouTube review, by the way. I have seen it before but I like Jonas Rask's review better, simply because he's a great photographer.

Edited by PascallacsaP

Indeed, great pictures.

However, like several other lens or accessories ( I own a Petzval lens, or the tilt adapter, both a one-trick-pony too) meant to provide one thing and one thing alone, the reasons that make this lens so special are to be found in a narrow band of uses and only a certain amount of users.

A niche market.

This has to be the reason why Fuji hasn’t gone through with a similar lens themselves.

This has to be the reason why Fuji hasn’t gone through with a similar lens themselves.

Another reason may be that they would not want to introduce a lens without a focus motor. And like Jonas already says, a focus motor would add substantially to the size and cost of the lens.

His pictures are very nice indeed, but tell me more about the photographer than about the lens :)

I wouldn’t expect Fuji to produce a non autofocus lens.

As for dimensions it is evident, to me, that Fuji runs two distinct line of lenses ( which can be cross-used) , one mean & lean and affordable for most for the photographer whom doesn’t have deep pockets or want to travel light, and one comprising lenses big in size and performing to the limits of their optical capabilities, often beyond the  the needs of the majority of their clients, a much more expensive line.

They determined that, for now, they weren’t going to add another 35mm to their line.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this lens and have done a couple of real shoots with it. I love it, and have only taken it off my X-T2 a couple of times since I got it. My go-to portrait lens, my 50-140, hasn't been out of it's little carrying sack in a month.

When I got the Mitakon, I was fully prepared to give up most of my fine detail in exchange for a dreamy narrow DOF look, but shockingly, this thing is pretty damned sharp even wide open. The attached photo is a 100% crop of a photo taken at f/.95

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!