epscott

Dear Fujifilm...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The current way to stabilise a Fuji is either to rely on stabilised lenses (that helps, but no primes are stabilised, and their coolest zoom is not stabilised), or to use a huge (in comparison) gimbal, which doesn't work well for zooms because of the shift in balance. Also gimbals are intrusive, and don't work well with manual focus.

I bought a GH5 the other day. I got it for the IBIS and unlimited recording time. Both features essential in my work, since most of my work is handheld documentaries and tutorials. Fuji has neither of those features.

In that case buying Panasonic probably is the right decision. Each manufacturer sets their own priorities, and we as consumers can decide whom we give our money. Sounds fair to me.

I don't care about video or IBIS, and I like what Fujifilm are doing, so they get my money. Others make different decisions, and rightly so.

"Like I've said many times in the past, I can live without many features as evidenced in my photography which can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/40101411@N05/"

@epscott...... I wouldn't worry about all those features you think you are missing. Your photography could be hugely improved by working on a change of location (same broken pier, beach and swamp in your photo stream) and also, working on composition/lighting. Why bother upgrading or complaining about missing features when you obviously have a huge amount to learn with the camera you have!? 

No disrespect meant but after looking through your photo stream it would be wise to put more time and effort in your photography technique than complaining about missing features on a any camera. 

Just wanted to provide some context to your post. First, I agree with most of it lol! I am always learning...even learning how to make do with the present limitations. I will never stop learning. Right now I'm focusing alot more on strobe work. With that, I'm in NJ. That's New Jersey USA lol. Other than farms, marshes, beaches, there really isnt much to shoot landscape wise hence why I decided to shoot sports like kids sports and of course surfing. Photography isn't my full time job. I do it because I love it. I do some pro work on the weekends and I do sell my images privately. Most of my buyers want the surf photos, kids sports (action shots), and beach landscapes. If I had the time to travel further outside the state, I would but as a parent and husband, I have many commitments. But getting out of NJ and finding new locations is a top priority. But my biggest priority right now is strobe work and portraiture. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wanted to provide some context to your post. First, I agree with most of it lol! I am always learning...even learning how to make do with the present limitations. I will never stop learning. Right now I'm focusing alot more on strobe work. With that, I'm in NJ. That's New Jersey USA lol. Other than farms, marshes, beaches, there really isnt much to shoot landscape wise hence why I decided to shoot sports like kids sports and of course surfing. Photography isn't my full time job. I do it because I love it. I do some pro work on the weekends and I do sell my images privately. Most of my buyers want the surf photos, kids sports (action shots), and beach landscapes. If I had the time to travel further outside the state, I would but as a parent and husband, I have many commitments. But getting out of NJ and finding new locations is a top priority. But my biggest priority right now is strobe work and portraiture. 

Limitations??? Seriously? Come on now, there is no way the XT-2 is holding you back at the moment. If you master light and composition you'll do much more for your photography than writing blogs on what you THINK you are missing in a camera. IBIS and an articulating screen you say are essential now? Sorry, but please explain to me how either of these features are going to help you create better images while doing strobe work/portraits?  

After looking through your portrait images it would seem that the basics need to be addressed first and they are light (a lot of your strobe work is too hot) and composition. 

Limitations??? Seriously? Come on now, there is no way the XT-2 is holding you back at the moment. If you master light and composition you'll do much more for your photography than writing blogs on what you THINK you are missing in a camera. IBIS and an articulating screen you say are essential now? Sorry, but please explain to me how either of these features are going to help you create better images while doing strobe work/portraits?  

After looking through your portrait images it would seem that the basics need to be addressed first and they are light (a lot of your strobe work is too hot) and composition. 

If you read the opening of my request, you'll clearly see that I had prefaced it relative to video. The other benefits are hardware related and they do offer some photography related elements. For example, a fully articulated screen can fold back on itself this protecting the screen. Having IBIS would allow for smaller less complicated lenses and allow other lenses to be used while being stabilized.  But I never said that these things would help my strobe work. 

Lastly, if you have a portfolio of great images from NJ, why not share so we can all learn from your mastery of skills?

If you read the opening of my request, you'll clearly see that I had prefaced it relative to video. The other benefits are hardware related and they do offer some photography related elements. For example, a fully articulated screen can fold back on itself this protecting the screen. Having IBIS would allow for smaller less complicated lenses and allow other lenses to be used while being stabilized.  But I never said that these things would help my strobe work. 

Lastly, if you have a portfolio of great images from NJ, why not share so we can all learn from your mastery of skills?

Ahh, ok the that age old complaint of "my camera sucks at video" 

Now, unlike you I will not promote my photography portfolio here. I'm way too modest for that! 

Ahh, ok the that age old complaint of "my camera sucks at video" 

Now, unlike you I will not promote my photography portfolio here. I'm way too modest for that! 

I posted my portfolio to demonstrate that I've been getting along fine with the X-T1 even though I made similar requests upon it's release. I'm still and will continue to be a fan/customer. 

Now let's get back to the business at hand...your portfolio. I find it very odd that someone will be so triggered so as to criticize another's work without making their own work available. You can private message me & I promise not to share your work to anyone. 

I posted my portfolio to demonstrate that I've been getting along fine with the X-T1 even though I made similar requests upon it's release. I'm still and will continue to be a fan/customer. 

Now let's get back to the business at hand...your portfolio. I find it very odd that someone will be so triggered so as to criticize another's work without making their own work available. You can private message me & I promise not to share your work to anyone. 

Eh no.....the business at hand is not my portfolio. I did not write a blog nor did I use my images as some sort of evidence to back up my opinions on the XT-2. It's your argument here, I have nothing to prove. 

The irritating thing is that you are complaining about the video capabilities on an incredible STILLS camera. Repeat STILLS CAMERA. At the price point of the XT-2 the camera is also very reasonably priced. So, with all these extras/improvements for video you want don't you think the prices will rise considerably? Photographers will be pissed but hey, at least those that want to shoot video will be happy right? The argument just doesn't make sense sorry....

Now, you wrote the blog and you posted your work.....so, criticism is to be expected!

Because giving more options to those that have disabilities is more important than my need for IBIS.

Seriously?  I'm sitting here in my office and actually chuckling at this response.  No video.  No IBIS.  No voice.  No touch screen.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Why add bulk in weight and size to an already camera?

Seriously?  I'm sitting here in my office and actually chuckling at this response.  No video.  No IBIS.  No voice.  No touch screen.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Why add bulk in weight and size to an already camera?

Why do you think it would add bulk, weight and size? Did someone tell you that? Why do you believe that? I have a computer that fits in my pocket and it has a camera. I can talk on it as well. Hmmmm

And maybe, just maybe, its "all that technology" that's driving nikon and canon to the brink of extinction.

It's the reverse. Slow adoption amongst the informed consumer.

I'm curious, you appear to have selective memory. All the things you say you abhor, are the end game. Did you eschew electronic viewfinders? Nope. I mean what got you to adopt digital at all in favor of your beloved pinhole camera setup?

I'm laughing as well.

Why do you think it would add bulk, weight and size? Did someone tell you that? Why do you believe that? I have a computer that fits in my pocket and it has a camera. I can talk on it as well. Hmmmm

You know you are very argumentative. OF COURSE it will add weight and bulk!  It's simple physics.  Have you compared the depth of the X-T1 and the 2?  It certainly does make a difference in moving parts/gears, etc.  Jesus...

No one has to tell me the sky is blue either that's where common sense comes in to play.  Nobody cares about your pocket computer/camera/phone.

Who told you it would add weight and bulk? Who? I want names. So as other components get smaller partly due to Moore's law, more space is available inside the body. As cooling technologies advance, more space is available in the body. So yes, I'm very argumentative with people that say they believe something and then can't say why they believe it!

What do you know about design efficiency? Here's something to tickle your nuts and get you triggered. Your typical DSLR has 120 screws of 7 different sizes. The Sony A7R has 29 with only 3 sizes. It's an engineering marvel of design efficiency. That's how they cramped so much inside a body that is actually 6mm less in width than the X-T2. I prefer the X-T2 though.

So it's not me who is argumentative. It's you Grandpa. If you're happy with your pinhole camera, fine. I don't care. But as long as I'm a paying Fuji customer, I'll make my voice known on this little thing called the internet where we have a feee exchange of ideas. Thanks.

Am I missing something? It really sounds like you need to go buy an a6500 or something .... First the IBIS .... moores law doesn't apply to mechanical apparatus really .... any time you make a mechanical apparatus like IBIS smaller and smaller you also make it more and more delicate and prone to failure .... more importantly than that the fuji execs already covered this a long time ago ... the x mount and the sensor size don't have room to create an ibis apparatus without significant vignetting and you have options of OIS lenses, tripods, steady shot, etc already .... Now for the "fully articulated screen" .... I buy fuji cameras in part specifically because they do NOT feature these ridiculous twisty turney flexy bits that pop out the side of the camera ... they make the whole camera weaker and they take a classic looking design and make it ridiculous. .... the only thing I agree with here is the touch screen ..... it's just silly that it isn't there. As for "becoming another kodak" I think you're missing a huge, huge one here ..... a return to simple, purpose centric designs and exposed manual controls that harken back to a simpler time is the only reason that fuji still exists as a camera company. None of their futuristic ideas ever really took off .... people like me that want something with the tactile feel that they got from cameras they used 20 or 30 or more years ago are the only reason that the X series exists and the only reason that it has pulled the consumer camera division of this company back, nearly, from the dead. 

Thank you! I'm a long time and long term customer. I'm proud to say I shoot Fuji. With that, I do have some serious concerns. I know it's not popular to go against the grain but sometimes we need to hear the truth.

I was one of the first advocates for pushing forward with video, high bit rate 1080p and also 4K. I'm so thankful you listened despite pleas to the contrary. The results are stunning. I now only have the need for one camera and that one camera is the X-T2. But I'm not satisfied. We are missing a couple of very standard features.

We need fully articulated touch screens. Fully articulated and touch enabled. It's inexcusable. If I'm in front of the camera, I need to be able to see myself or the subject I'm assisting. Fully articulated screens can also flip backwards and folded in so as to protect the screen when not needed. Being that video is taking on more of a role in your cameras as it should, we need touch screens. Touch gives us sooooo much more functionality like pulling focus or image review. With gestures, the possibilities are many. Right now, your flagship doesn't have those possibilities.

The next item is IBIS. Now I know that folks are going to groan as they ALWAYS do. Fuji fanatics are passionate about their cameras. But In Body Image Stabilization is a must have. Now I'm fully aware of the reasons why the community at large doesn't think IBIS is needed in their camera. The two most common reasons stated are the fear of an increase in body size and additional power draw. Here's my most educated reply to you and to them. I think you can do it while still making the body the same size or even smaller. How? Moore's Law. The advances in technology keeps moving forward. We can keep putting more into the same size space because we can shrink things down which in turn requires less power which in turn dissipates less heat. I would even accept a small hit in camera body size if it meant smaller less complicated lenses withOUT IS. Smaller less complex lenses are easier to manufacture and are less expensive. This same rationale is used to justify touch screens. New technologies will require less power and will be thinner. So no, I don't understand this fear.

What you should fear is becoming the next Kodak. It was a simple lack of respect for technological evolution that doomed Kodak. Right now, before our very eyes we are seeing the landscape change. Nikon could go out of business. They are in free fall. Canon can't maintain its base because they have no focus. But it shouldn't be a surprise as it was predicted many years ago by a group of crazies who embraced an outsider....Sony. Sony put us all on this path. While I'm not a fan of Sony cameras, we all have to admit that they have been the folks driving us all forward. The other company that everyone should fear is a little company I used to work for...Apple. The iPhone singlehandedly destroyed the compact consumer market and at any time, if they wanted to start making cameras, they could wipe out everyone. When you're valued just a touch under a trillion dollars, you can leverage your way into existing markets. You know that Apple is watching and researching their options. It's really just a 3 horse race between you, Sony, and Apple. Sony will never rest and Apple will just keep capturing market share. In the meantime, others that do embrace technology like Panasonic and Olympus will continue to chip away at Nikon and Canons disaffected bases but they also help deny you of potential customers. It's time to bury these other companies. They have no interest in seeing you succeed. None. It's business. For those that think this isn't true...how many companies rescued Kodak? There is no good will. It's cutthroat.

Which brings me to my last point. Do you want to win? You are in a position to win it ALL. You made huge gains with X system cameras and with the release of your medium format GFX line, I see it as just a matter of time until you are the ones dominating the landscape. But to do that, you have to respect how fast technology advances forward and how quickly it's adopted by consumers because if you don't, you will become the next Kodak only it won't take very long for your demise. Today's consumers are smarter and less risk averse than the prior generation.

The technologies I'm asking for again are now standards with your competitors. You have to act quickly and decisively in order to survive. I see that with a new firmware update you are bringing voice memos. Cool. I hope this is your first attempt at what I also requested 2 years ago....voice control. Voice control would be KILLER.

I think you are doing everything right and it's been a pleasure being a Fuji customer. But I need and want to see you survive. You must adopt technology faster because your competitors won't wait for you to catch up.

Thank you.

/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png">

It's the reverse. Slow adoption amongst the informed consumer.

I'm curious, you appear to have selective memory. All the things you say you abhor, are the end game. Did you eschew electronic viewfinders? Nope.

Yes, I do dislike them. Which is why I am very happy that Fujifilm make the X-Pro and X100x models.

Why do you assume we are misinformed? Isn't that just a tiny bit pretentious?

Who told you it would add weight and bulk? Who? I want names. So as other components get smaller partly due to Moore's law, more space is available inside the body. As cooling technologies advance, more space is available in the body. So yes, I'm very argumentative with people that say they believe something and then can't say why they believe it!

What do you know about design efficiency? Here's something to tickle your nuts and get you triggered. Your typical DSLR has 120 screws of 7 different sizes. The Sony A7R has 29 with only 3 sizes. It's an engineering marvel of design efficiency. That's how they cramped so much inside a body that is actually 6mm less in width than the X-T2. I prefer the X-T2 though.

So it's not me who is argumentative. It's you Grandpa. If you're happy with your pinhole camera, fine. I don't care. But as long as I'm a paying Fuji customer, I'll make my voice known on this little thing called the internet where we have a feee exchange of ideas. Thanks.

Being insulting, aggressive and rude will not make your argument any more valid. Similarly, having voice control, IBIS, flippy screens and touch control will not make you a better photographer. Sure, you can show off all those features and be happy playing with your new gadget......but your end result will still look the same!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You sir, are a complete tool.   Not worth the seconds of my precious life.  

Am I missing something? It really sounds like you need to go buy an a6500 or something .... First the IBIS .... moores law doesn't apply to mechanical apparatus really .... any time you make a mechanical apparatus like IBIS smaller and smaller you also make it more and more delicate and prone to failure .... more importantly than that the fuji execs already covered this a long time ago ... the x mount and the sensor size don't have room to create an ibis apparatus without significant vignetting and you have options of OIS lenses, tripods, steady shot, etc already .... Now for the "fully articulated screen" .... I buy fuji cameras in part specifically because they do NOT feature these ridiculous twisty turney flexy bits that pop out the side of the camera ... they make the whole camera weaker and they take a classic looking design and make it ridiculous. .... the only thing I agree with here is the touch screen ..... it's just silly that it isn't there. As for "becoming another kodak" I think you're missing a huge, huge one here ..... a return to simple, purpose centric designs and exposed manual controls that harken back to a simpler time is the only reason that fuji still exists as a camera company. None of their futuristic ideas ever really took off .... people like me that want something with the tactile feel that they got from cameras they used 20 or 30 or more years ago are the only reason that the X series exists and the only reason that it has pulled the consumer camera division of this company back, nearly, from the dead. 

I mentioned Moore's Law as it relates to the non-mechanical internals. I even gave examples. 

IBIS is possible. You already accept digital correction in camera via the LMO. Why are you against digital correction for IBIS?

A fully articulated screen is more efficient and can be turned inward to protect the screen when not needed. The LCD itself is the same size...roughly a $14 part. The Fuji LCD requires 2 ribbons for connection which you can see for yourself if you open it up and actually look whereas something like the Canon 60D articulated screen only has one ribbon connection. You can replace the 60D LCD yourself whereas the Fuji would have to be sent in for repair. the Fuji has a much more complicated design and will be more prone to breaking than the Canon 70D's fully articulated screen. The 70D LCD is also touch enabled while the 60D is not. 

Yes, I do dislike them. Which is why I am very happy that Fujifilm make the X-Pro and X100x models.

Why do you assume we are misinformed? Isn't that just a tiny bit pretentious?

This is a discussion about the X-T1/T2 line so your point is moot.

Who said you were misinformed? I never said you were misinformed...show me where I said that?

I replied that the reason why Canon/Nikon are collapsing is that they are slow to adopt technologies amongst the informed consumer. People are much more informed these days due to the immediacy of the internet. People are aware of mirrorless. Canonikon have missed the boat and are beginning to see the consequences. 

Bottom line, I made my initial post and that was it. You guys respond like a bunch of little girls in grade school with your panties all in a twist and start with the personal attacks and the false statements...and then you get even more triggered when I refute your statements. Easy fix, don't read my posts or find a way to block me. I wasn't addressing you to begin with as you don't represent Fuji. My opening statement is Dear Fuji because Fuji reps allegedly read this forum. So it's not me being pretentious. I would highly suggest you reexamine why you entered this discussion to begin with.

Being insulting, aggressive and rude will not make your argument any more valid. Similarly, having voice control, IBIS, flippy screens and touch control will not make you a better photographer. Sure, you can show off all those features and be happy playing with your new gadget......but your end result will still look the same!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never said that any of those things would make me a better photographer. Show me where I said that because if you can't, you simply need to exit. Having some of these features would make it easier to do certain things. More efficient. More capabilities around video. 

And it was you that started off with your passive aggressive attitude which I quickly put in check. Is this how you deal with problems in your life...by making personal attacks? That's called ad hominem by the way and it's being a troll. You just don't like the fact that I'm allowed to have an opinion that's my own. You can disagree with it all you want but when you attack the person instead of the facts or idea, then it's on you. 

You sir, are a complete tool.   Not worth the seconds of my precious life.  

Oh give me a damn break lol! Jorge, we are both fellow Jersey boys. Exactly how did you think I would respond while you're trying to give me the 3rd degree over something that doesnt even exist? Really? I would expect a little solidarity from my fellow New Jerseyan but no...you gotta go all Chis Christie on me lol. It's ok Jorge, I'm not mad and I don't hold grudges. By the way, I really dig your portfolio. Very tasteful. I could learn a thing or two, or three from you. Very impressive stuff. I would suggest joining and posting to more groups on Flickr as I think your work deserves more exposure. 

I'm sorry I called you Grandpa.

I never said that any of those things would make me a better photographer. Show me where I said that because if you can't, you simply need to exit. Having some of these features would make it easier to do certain things. More efficient. More capabilities around video. 

And it was you that started off with your passive aggressive attitude which I quickly put in check. Is this how you deal with problems in your life...by making personal attacks? That's called ad hominem by the way and it's being a troll. You just don't like the fact that I'm allowed to have an opinion that's my own. You can disagree with it all you want but when you attack the person instead of the facts or idea, then it's on you. 

You're talking complete crap now, accusing everyone of making personal attacks because they disagree with your ideas

/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png"> Attack!!! Get a grip......Also, that's a bit rich coming from you after the way to reply to some posters calling them grandpa etc.

Your social skills are nearly as bad as your photo skills....there, that's a (mild) personal attack for you.....happy now? 

Bottom line, IBIS is not needed....it's a camera primarily ...not a video camera. Voice control, again not needed, it's a camera, use your iPhone to talk to Siri if you really need someone to talk to (although Siri probably has you blocked) Touch control screen would be useful but not neded! Purely as a photgrapher, not a videographer these are my opinions. They differ to yours so grow up.....no need for the aggression and insults! 

You're talking complete crap now, accusing everyone of making personal attacks because they disagree with your ideas

/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png"> Attack!!! Get a grip......Also, that's a bit rich coming from you after the way to reply to some posters calling them grandpa etc.

Your social skills are nearly as bad as your photo skills....there, that's a (mild) personal attack for you.....happy now? 

Bottom line, IBIS is not needed....it's a camera primarily ...not a video camera. Voice control, again not needed, it's a camera, use your iPhone to talk to Siri if you really need someone to talk to (although Siri probably has you blocked) Touch control screen would be useful but not neded! Purely as a photgrapher, not a videographer these are my opinions. They differ to yours so grow up.....no need for the aggression and insults! 

You're the one talking crap...as you started the mudslinging out of nowhere when you made it a personal attack in you're very first post. Again, you can continue to troll all you want. Nothing changes.

Here, let's remind how you began.

":@epscott...... I wouldn't worry about all those features you think you are missing. Your photography could be hugely improved by working on a change of location (same broken pier, beach and swamp in your photo stream) and also, working on composition/lighting. Why bother upgrading or complaining about missing features when you obviously have a huge amount to learn with the camera you have!? 

No disrespect meant but after looking through your photo stream it would be wise to put more time and effort in your photography technique than complaining about missing features on a any camera. "

And all the while, you won't post your own work. Again, you must be a very socially awkward person IRL if this is how you deal with conflict. 

Oh, before I forget...here are some soon to be released CINE lenses, first for E-Mount followed by X-mount cameras...being that it's primarily a camera and not a video camera. LOL

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/optical_devices/tv_cine/cine/mk/mk18_55mm/