Jell-o Shots and X-T2

Saibot

Well, it's kind of a long story, but a wayward Jell-o shot found it's way into the controls of my new X-T2. Although I was able to get most of it out and the shutter speed/photometery dials and moving again, the rear command dial is problematic. Any ideas how to get that out of there? I tried a cleaning patch soaked in water, but just can't get it in there, specifically the top side of the dial. 

Any ideas?

Steam

Gelatin dissolves in warm water but be patient and work slowly. This could take hours. Too much heat could damage the camera and you may also find the steam just moves the jello around rather than getting it out. Tilt the camera so condensation from the steam can drip out. No promises, though. If your camera still works, you might not know if you really cleaned it after the gelatin cools and dries out, again.

Steam

Gelatin dissolves in warm water but be patient and work slowly. This could take hours. Too much heat could damage the camera and you may also find the steam just moves the jello around rather than getting it out. Tilt the camera so condensation from the steam can drip out. No promises, though. If your camera still works, you might not know if you really cleaned it after the gelatin cools and dries out, again.

Thanks for the idea, bhu! I was thinking about trying to hold it near the nozzle of a boiling tea kettle as the source. I'm a little worried about the heat though. Think a very light stream would still be too hot?

I was also thinking about a very small amount of some very thin oil. If I can't get it out, perhaps I can at least keep it from staying a solid.

Thoughts? 

Try holding the camera in the path of steam from a kettle but not so close that your fingers burn. If the heat is tolerable to your hand, it should be tolerable for the camera. Avoid the grip material, though. It may be glued on and react badly to too much moisture. If you have been rotating the knob, there is probably jello everywhere inside so making it humid and hoping the condensation dripping out carries a bit of gelatin with it is the only way i can think to clean it without actually taking the knob assembly off and soaking it. I have no idea how to take the knob off but you might find instructions on the internet or just send the camera in for service.

Oil would just add another contaminant but might be a way to loosen the dial. I doubt it will actually remove any jello.

I win! Thanks all, here's the update.

Great thought on water breaking down the gelatin. I tried alcohol at first and it didn't keep it "soft" long enough. I found some very thin but tight gun cleaning patches that I was able to get underneath the meter/shutter speed dial and drag back and forth with a spot of hot water that did the trick. For the command dial I cut small strips of the patches and folded them around small strips I cut from a soda can to get to that area, again with the hot water. Working great now.

Appreciate the help!