• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 claudeb

claudeb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Compared to my X-20 (maybe on other bodies as well)  the Q-menu button has now moved to the upper right position,  nearly under my right thumb. Often when I grab the X100F and bring the viewfinder to my eye, I discover that  I have hit the Q button. I know I can lock all these buttons by depressing the menu button long enough B)  .  But I wonder how Fuji engineers did not notice this when testing the design of the body?

#2 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

It's probably there on purpose.

#3 krötenblender

krötenblender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

But I wonder how Fuji engineers did not notice this when testing the design of the body?

Short thumbs...? ;)  I have the same problem with the X-Pro2 and even with the GFX it sometimes happens, and I really hate it. I think, it's simply a remainder of some original design and they don't want to change it for consistency. By now, most users expect it this way.

#4 ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:43 AM

Add a thumbs-up or similar. The problem goes right away.

• Curiojo likes this

#5 OleDK

OleDK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

Bugger. The camera is unusable. I will sell mine!

• PoulWerner likes this

#6 nvp155

nvp155

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

This is a better button layout

I know fuji reads these posts but it seems they are stubborn to take notice

http://www.fuji-x-fo...46-x100v-looks/

Remember if the camera is perfect then how will they sell you the improved version

#7 OleDK

OleDK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Honestly, I don't find the Q-button placement wrong - perhaps it's the size of my hands.

• Curiojo and Him like this

#8 neal3K

neal3K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Metro

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

I trigger it a good bit but can basically ignore it as it goes away when I push the shutter button just a bit.

• Curiojo and meloaku like this

#9 Jellicle

Jellicle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

You can lock the 4-way button pad and the Q button. Just hold the menu button down for a few seconds. Do that again to unlock them.

• Him likes this

#10 gaopa

gaopa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Thank you, Jellicle! Locking the buttons did the trick for me. That Q button has been driving me crazy on my X100F.

• Curiojo likes this

#11 fluxionphotography

fluxionphotography

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

This was the thing that led me to these forums. I've been using my camera for two hours and have accidentally brought up the Q menu at least half a dozen times. I'll see if locking them out fixes the issue... But really. How does that not come up in the entire prototyping phase?

photography and lighting design, Austin, TX

#12 Mb.kinsman

Mb.kinsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

Just got an X-100F and find it a bit frustrating due to lack of thumb grip and the location of the Q button, which is exactly where my thumb goes when I grab the camera. I decided to try to find a solution other than the Thumb Grip from Lensmate and found a very cheap solution that works quite well for me. I added a 13mm (1/2") Self Adhesive Vinyl Bumper commonly used on the back of picture frames. Placed it to the left of the Q button and now have a place to grip that is not in the way of any controls and gives me a place to hold the camera securely. It's a clear round bumper - see photo attached.Attached File  IMG_3865.JPG   148.1KB   21 downloads
  • papedo and Curiojo like this

#13 freediverx

freediverx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

They make those silicone bumpers in black as well...

https://www.amazon.c... black silicone

NtmK7si.jpeg

#14 Valdo

Valdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Add a thumbs-up or similar. The problem goes right away.

Why to add ThumbUp? Fuji should replace that designer guy with small hands who insist that’s a good position for the Q button or whatewer button.
Well, except the red button...

#15 TommyCat69

TommyCat69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

I have been shooting with the “F” since day one and the Q button is just killing me. I have had every version of the x100 and for the life of me can’t figure out why they placed it where the thumb would naturally want to rest. I do have large hands I guess (size large gloves but not a 6’8” NBA player). Camera is wonderful but this button needs to be moved! Any update to this camera that keeps the Q button where it is on the “F” will not be purchased by me.

#16 Valdo

Valdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

I have been shooting with the “F” since day one and the Q button is just killing me. I have had every version of the x100 and for the life of me can’t figure out why they placed it where the thumb would naturally want to rest. I do have large hands I guess (size large gloves but not a 6’8” NBA player). Camera is wonderful but this button needs to be moved! Any update to this camera that keeps the Q button where it is on the “F” will not be purchased by me.

X-PRO2 has the same problem but twice, Q and AF-L !

#17 Immanuel

Immanuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

I have no problem with the q button. However, I find the back control wheel the the by far worst of all the 6 x-series cameras, I've had. Scrolling left is fiddly, as it is unresponsive to turning and more responsive to pressing. My X-E2 had a really nice back control wheel.

#18 c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Fuji should replace that designer guy with small hands who insist that’s a good position for the Q button or whatewer button.

Fuji should hire staff to specifically cater to your demands?

I personally much prefer the location of the Q button on the X100F over that of the Q and AEL/AFL buttons on my X100T. No layoffs required on my behalf though.

#19 Valdo

Valdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Fuji should hire staff to specifically cater to your demands?

C'mon, your statement sounds like a Trumpet...

#20 c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

C'mon, your statement sounds like a Trumpet...

I don't know why, but that made me chuckle.  :)

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close