X-T2 AutoFocus very erratic on fine structures (trees)

huck222

What a stupid answer [emoji6]

Why would you not use the proper tool for the situation? In this case, MF for landscape and scenic photography?

I am not in the market for a X-T2 anyway, by the way, but if I wanted to focus on such fine tree structures, then I would not trust the AF (especially with the fine MF aids that the X-T cameras provide).

It may surprise you to learn that many landscape photographers do in fact use autofocus. If you don't even own an X-T2 or know anything about it, why would you even comment in such a thread as this?

It may surprise you to learn that many landscape photographers do in fact use autofocus. If you don't even own an X-T2 or know anything about it, why would you even comment in such a thread as this?

Because I sometimes have trees in my pictures as well? ;) More in general, because the X-T1 has great MF aids, and at least the "tree tops" scenario is almost screaming for that?

In the case of the house, I would have expected the AF to have locked easily indeed, so that sounds a bit disappointing for a "state of the art" camera.

Anyway, I did not realise that I was only allowed to be in this thread when I would own an X-T2 ... apologies for that.

Guest mikEm13

Having both auto and manual focus allows us to choose which focus we want to use for a given situation. What I use for a shot might be different then what someone else uses but in the end if we both get the shot we were after then thats all that matters.

Edited by mikEm13

Why would you use autofocus with such static structures? It's not like those trees (or most trees actually) would suddenly start to run off.

I only have a Gen.1 and Gen.2 Fuji X camera (X-Pro1 + X-T1), but I mostly use manual focus in such situations.

Well, guess there's one of this kind in every forum. Wouldn't be a forum without one perfectly dumb answer in every thread. Look, Mr Manual, this is an AF acurracy test. If the camera can't focus on a static tree, then good luck with a running rabbit. Goodness me !!

Edited by huck222

I have the X-T2 and the same lens, well probably too many lenses, but have not experienced this. The AF is very accurate, almost all the time. The only time the camera misses is when it hits a nearby obstacle instead, such as when trying to focus on a bird in a tree with a lot of nearby small branches. I have two X-T2 bodies, and they both perform the same. I wonder if there are a few out there with problems or if some are being impacted by a firmware bug. I've even been shooting birds in flight with the highest AF accuracy I've experienced; around 90+%. I'd be on the phone with Fujifilm if I was experiencing that issue. The trees could potentially be excusable if it was a one of, but that house shouldn't have any issue at all. According to FujiRumors, there should be an updated firmware soon. If that doesn't solve it, I'd recommend calling and sending the camera in for a check.

Well, guess there's one of this kind in every forum. Wouldn't be a forum without one perfectly dumb answer in every thread. Look, Mr Manual, this is an AF acurracy test. If the camera can't focus on a static tree, then good luck with a running rabbit. Goodness me !!

Use the tools in the proper way, I'd say.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, no worries ;)

my dealer gave me an exchange body from their rent meanwhile. its the same thing. Now i'm watching the scale in the viewfinder. It jumps around between infinite and 3 m really, on the same object. Like those trees, or really contrasty objects in a 3meter range. Well, lets see what they say. For now i'm pretty freaked out by this AF joke.

Edited by huck222

Same issue here and it does not only apply to trees. Quite frankly I think insisting that a "real" landscape photographer should use manual focus is insulting to the camera ;) If fuji claims fast and accurate focus, then it should be fast and accurate.

I've seem the focus being completely off, so much so that it was clearly visible in the EVF. The latest firmware does seem to fix this to an extend, but I still don't fully trust the AF, at least not when using a zoom lens.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seem the focus being completely off, so much so that it was clearly visible in the EVF. The latest firmware does seem to fix this to an extend, but I still don't fully trust the AF, at least not when using a zoom lens.

Well, seems to me, with still little testing, that the 2.00 firmware improved things. At least the dof scale is not erratic anymore. I hope to do some more testing this weekend.