ISO Readout issue

Hi All,

Have any of you noticed that you don't get a working-ISO readout when your X-Pro2 is in continuous AF mode and Auto ISO? With the same settings, this does not happen on my X-T2. Here are the particulars:

1. I have my X-Pro2 set for Auto ISO

2. Regardless of exposure mode, if I half-press the shutter release it just reads ISO 12,800 (my upper limit on ISO preset) no matter what actual ISO is being used. This happens in all readouts: EVF/OVF/LCD

3. This also happens with back-button focus (continuous AF) when in manual focus mode. If I simultaneously half press the shutter release it gives me the working ISO 

I should note that it still exposes properly and when you play back the image the info shows the ISO used.

I'm trying to figure out if this is just some quirk of the X-Pro2 or perhaps there is some setting I overlooked.

Thanks,

Joel

Hi, it's my first post in this forum.  

I had exactly the same problem. I shoot in manual focus using backbutton focus and auto ISO. I racked my brains trying to think what was causing it. I had tried resetting everything until the only thing left was the exposure compensation dial. I had it set to 'C'-  custom so I reset it to '0' and the correct ISO was then shown when I depressed the shutter button. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

No I hadn't noticed

But I just tested and mine does exactly the same thing as you describe.

Expect a fix via FW i guess....

I was hoping this would be fixed by firmware 3.0 update. No such luck. I'll report it to Fuji and hope any of you reading this will do so also.

FWIW, my X-T2 does not do this.

From https://fuji-x-secrets.net/2016/10/26/fujifilm-x-pro2-using-firmware-2-00/

There’s a change in how auto exposure (AE) modes work in concert with the AF-C mode: With firmware 2.00, the exposure isn’t locked when AF-C is selected and the shutter is pressed halfway. Instead, the exposure is permanently adjusted until the very moment that a shot is actually taken. This affects the three „classic“ exposure modes (A, S, and P) as well as the camera’s „misomatic“ mode, which is detailed in tip 54.

To suppress the new continuous exposure metering in AF-C mode, you can lock the exposure using the AE-L button before you take a shot. After locking the exposure, you can still adjust it with the camera’s exposure compensation dial. To accomplish this without crazy finger acrobatics, make sure that  SET UP > BUTTON/DIAL SETTING > AE/AF LOCK MODE is set to AE&AF ON/OFF SWITCH. As soon as you lock the exposure with AE-L, the locked exposure parameters (aperture, shutter speed, ISO and DR settings) are displayed in the live view.

Turn SHUTTER AE OFF on the X-T2 and it will behave like the X-Pro2.

Isn't SHUTTER AE a function that has been scheduled for the X-Pro2 May update? 

From https://fuji-x-secrets.net/2016/10/26/fujifilm-x-pro2-using-firmware-2-00/

Turn SHUTTER AE OFF on the X-T2 and it will behave like the X-Pro2.

Isn't SHUTTER AE a function that has been scheduled for the X-Pro2 May update? 

Hi,

Thanks for these insights and reminders! I own and often recommend your X-Pert books but I missed the 2.0 firmware update regarding AF-C in A,S,P modes. I don't mind the ISO readout quirk (aka Fuji's choice of implementation) as much in MF because I can get the readout with a half-press of the shutter release or I sometimes use the AE-L so either way I can see where my auto ISO is being set.

I do wish Fuji would provide a continuous readout of the auto ISO being used in AF-C mode. Can't see any reason why they couldn't implement this. You'd just see it change as light intensity changes. In fact that is the behavior one would expect- the same way you see your auto aperture or shutter change in S or A modes.

You are correct that Shutter AE will be updated in May. From Fuji: "Function extension for “Shutter AF” and “Shutter AE” (X-T2 only) With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in “Shutter AF” and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in “Shutter AE.” Here's the whole list for both X-Pro2 and X-T2 (you need to scroll down to "late May 2017"

Cheers,

Joel

Edited by AZWolf