Consistency is all I ask for. But somehow Fuji managed to throw me for a loop. Having an X-T2, X-Pro 2 and an X-T20, they all behave the same when the units are turned on with the previous distance settings preserved.

But Fuji had to go ahead and put in a default setting of 7' for the X100F when powered on no matter what the previous setting was set to.

Arrgrrggghhhhhhhh!!!! WTF!!!!

It's the little things that can drive one crazy.

Cheers!

Rolly

Edited by rollypolly

According to Fuji this is a feature not a bug.

If the lens focuses too far in the distance when powered on accidentally and with a mounted lens cap, the camera shows an error message which scared some users in the past - because ofthe external focus machinism the lens hits the cap. X100/S/T is behaving that way.

That's why Fuji has changed it.

Does it answer your question of Why?

Edited by Sahib7

So in other words, cripple the camera since it's too much effort to change the lens cap design. Brilliant!

Furthermore, the lens only protrudes with distances less than 2', specifically when shooting macro. So instead of Fuji checking to see if the focus distance is less than 2' to take the appropriate action, Fuji instead decides to default to 7' regardless of the focus distance setting thereby making the camera almost unusable for those who choose to use zone focusing.

Compounding the situation further is that there's lag between powering up the camera and being able to adjust focus. So when either the EVF or LCD appear the focusing still can't be adjusted for another 300 to 400ms. Ugghhhhh!

The camera is brilliant in so many other ways, but this decision by Fuji is like serving an exquisite soup with a fly floating on top making the total experience unpalatable.

Rant over!

Rolly

Edited by rollypolly

So in other words, cripple the camera since it's too much effort to change the lens cap design. Brilliant!

Furthermore, the lens only protrudes with distances less than 2', specifically when shooting macro. So instead of Fuji checking to see if the focus distance is less than 2' to take the appropriate action, Fuji instead decides to default to 7' regardless of the focus distance setting thereby making the camera almost unusable for those who choose to use zone focusing.

Compounding the situation further is that there's lag between powering up the camera and being able to adjust focus. So when either the EVF or LCD appear the focusing still can't be adjusted for another 300 to 400ms. Ugghhhhh!

The camera is brilliant in so many other ways, but this decision by Fuji is like serving an exquisite soup with a fly floating on top making the total experience unpalatable.

Rant over!

Rolly

So many of Fuji's ergonomic decisions seem to be done this way... Very "focused" as if they never considered any conditions outside the ones they're currently thinking of (like that not everyone holds a camera with two hands at arms length and has inch long fingernails). This one reminds me a bit of the way the EF-X20 flash turns off when you turn off the camera or the camera goes to sleep... But it doesn't turn back on when you wake the camera. Which kind of makes the thing useless for anyone with an attention span longer than 3 minutes. Just imagining the kind of narrow focus required to design something so daft is painful. I wish they would just hand their prototypes to photographers for testing/feedback before signing off on them...

For now, the only workaround I can see is to simply leave the camera on and disable Auto Power Off. While in Power Management menu, might as well throw the camera into Economy mode to conserve battery power. The battery life should be stretched further when using manual focusing and the OVF.

Oh, and carry lots and lots of batteries...  :angry:

Cheers!

Rolly

Edited by rollypolly

So even if you keep the camera in manual focus mode, every time you switch it on the lens is focused on 7 feet, no matter where you left it set? If so, wow...I'm going to think again about whether I want the one I've ordered.

Edited by Jellicle

For those of us who have been using the x100T in a particular way this is a big disappointment - I keep mine (with the WCL adapter) focused at the hyperfocal distance (3m @ f8 or 5m @ f4, depending on the light), making the camera perfect for my style of shooting. I also tend to turn the camera off when I'm not actually using it to preserve battery power - it's fast enough to start up so the camera is ready to use as it reaches my eye.

But I now have to wait while the camera starts up and then deal with the fact that it focuses the lens to a distance that I don't even want!

Edited by Jellicle

BTW, I do agree with the OP that that new "feature" is annoying. I just don't like the trolling language.

The OP has a valid point. It's really surprising that Fujifilm broke such a fundamental (in my opinion) feature on the X100F ... maybe not unusuable (like you said) but certainly very awkward.

Edited by johant

What trolling language (besides your own...)?

You want examples? Okay:

"Why Fuji, why?"

"But somehow Fuji managed to throw me for a loop."

"Arrgrrggghhhhhhhh!!!! WTF!!!!"

"cripple the camera since it's too much effort to change the lens cap design. Brilliant!"

"Which kind of makes the thing useless for anyone with an attention span longer than 3 minutes."

"Just imagining the kind of narrow focus required to design something so daft is painful."

"I wish they would just hand their prototypes to photographers for testing/feedback before signing off on them..."

You want examples? Okay:

"Why Fuji, why?"

"But somehow Fuji managed to throw me for a loop."

"Arrgrrggghhhhhhhh!!!! WTF!!!!"

"cripple the camera since it's too much effort to change the lens cap design. Brilliant!"

"Which kind of makes the thing useless for anyone with an attention span longer than 3 minutes."

"Just imagining the kind of narrow focus required to design something so daft is painful."

"I wish they would just hand their prototypes to photographers for testing/feedback before signing off on them..."

Facts, experiences, and opinions with which you disagree do not constitute trolling. Nothing is perfect. If you want to throw a sarcastic tantrum every time someone points out some imperfection in Fuji equipment (or any other brand), you're going to spend an awful lot of time posting "Bugger. The camera is unusable. I will sell mine!" (which I see you already do). Why should everyone walk eggshells and tiptoe around the truth just because OleDK might get triggered?

I saw that Kevin Mullins also mentioned this issue in a blog post. His assumption is that Fujifilm can (and will) fix this in a firmware update.

I shot almost everything from the hip, zone focused, and as others have spotted, it’s slightly annoying that the X100F resorts to about 2 metres focus point every time the camera is reset. Hopefully, this is something that will get addressed in firmware as I’m not aware of any technical reason the camera should do this.

Edited by johant

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Furthermore, the lens only protrudes with distances less than 2', specifically when shooting macro. So instead of Fuji checking to see if the focus distance is less than 2' to take the appropriate action, Fuji instead decides to default to 7' regardless of the focus distance setting 

Given the camera’s popularity for street photography, perhaps Fuji selected a default focus distance of 7’ since it’s a good setting for hyperlocal shooting?