X100F exposure problem

I just got my x100f for a week and notice that there's something strange about the exposure. When I'm on multi metering mode and use a single focus point on model's face. The exposure is quite normal. For example, I get f2, ss 1/60 iso 640. But if I use face detection mode with the same f and ss, iso will go down to 250 and the immage seem to be underexposed. Anyone has the same issue? Will this issue can be fixed with firmware update or it's just me and need to go to the Fuji's aftersale service?

• 1 month later...

I have had the opposite happen, shooting with multi pattern metering. First time I was shooting outdoors, sunshine, and some of my shots of my grandson were severely over exposed by 3 stops, prior to this I had been shooting indoors at f2.8. Second time again outside, sunshine and the same thing happened, I even tried spot metering. Not sure if its a lens issue? If it happens again I suspect I will have to send it off for repair. 

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the opposite happen, shooting with multi pattern metering. First time I was shooting outdoors, sunshine, and some of my shots of my grandson were severely over exposed by 3 stops, prior to this I had been shooting indoors at f2.8. Second time again outside, sunshine and the same thing happened, I even tried spot metering. Not sure if its a lens issue? If it happens again I suspect I will have to send it off for repair. 

Geoff

The max shutter speed for the mechanical shutter is 1/1000 when wide open at f2. At f2.8 it is around 1/1250. To get the full range of shutter speeds up to 1/4000 you need to stop down to around f5.6. This is a limitation of the leaf shutter type: essentially, it needs longer than 1/1000 sec to open fully to the widest aperture (but there are better explanations online!) The solution, for shooting wide open with the mechanical shutter in bright light, is to use the built-in ND filter.  (Alternatively, use the electronic shutter.)

I remember that the manual for the original x100 noted this limitation but, as far as I can see, there is no mention of it at all in the manual for the X100F - which  must be causing a fair bit of confusion amongst those who've not previously owned an X100 series camera. 

• 1 year later...

The max shutter speed for the mechanical shutter is 1/1000 when wide open at f2. At f2.8 it is around 1/1250. To get the full range of shutter speeds up to 1/4000 you need to stop down to around f5.6. This is a limitation of the leaf shutter type: essentially, it needs longer than 1/1000 sec to open fully to the widest aperture (but there are better explanations online!) The solution, for shooting wide open with the mechanical shutter in bright light, is to use the built-in ND filter.  (Alternatively, use the electronic shutter.)

Many thanks for this explanation, I thought I was going mad when I experienced this problem