Why is the 90mm f2 so BIG?!

petergabriel

well, the reason is that quality and speed came at a price and that price is size.

anyway, on line there are many other asking the same question. The answers are, of course only speculations.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318898

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3843781

http://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/7985-xf-90mm-and-the-size-of-fuji-lenses/

You could write a letter:

“ Dear Mr. Fuji..."

I held it for 5 minutes in the shop and thought that one has to have lost of the FUJI mirrorless unique selling point ( size and practicality) to buy this lens, but I think the same of all the ginormous X lenses , they have some sort of function but I can’t see mylsef ( a person who chose this system for its compactness) ever buying any of these large lenses.

Edited by milandro

Wouldn't one reason be that the Fuji has the focus motor in the lens, whereas the Nikon doesn't?

Plus the Fuji would have been designed to be sharp for a much higher pixel density - I would imagine that it performs better optically than the 85m 1.8 D.

Other reasons might include reduced vignetting, sharp wide open (f/2 is probably de-rated to ensure high IQ), possibly reduced internal reflections, possible margin for anti-reflection coating control near lens periphery (one factor in sharpness wide open), more structural rigidity.

These are just guesses, though.

Maybe that's because one is a Nikkor and the other is a Fujinon!

Personally I don't regard the XF 90mm as a big lens, don't forget the XF 90mm is really a 135mm!

sorry Mike - the XF90 is a 90mm lens - on a smaller sensor (APS-C)  it shows the same angle of view as a 135mm @ FF

To be honest - i never got the problem people have mixinbg up focal lenght/aperture and dof - 90mm stays 90mm, F2 stays F2 (dof is the very same) - just the image circle for FF has to be bigger than for FF.

Back to the inital question: Why ist XF90 sooo big (is it really??):

every optical design has several restrictions and the challange of lens design is to find the best compromise out of it

- buget

- volume

- biggest lens diameter

- availible manufacturing technology

- glass selction

- focussing system

- weight

- amount of lenses

- number aspherical elements

- form of aspheres (deviation from sphere)

- machanical stability (e.g. lenses not to thin & heavy)

- size image circle

- all the optical parameters like vignetting/flat image and all the other zernike stuff

so Fuji decided to balance it in way the XF90 is made ...

compare a Zuiko OM 2/85 to OM 2/90 or  Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4 vs Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 vs Zeiss Planar 85/1.4