Minimalism and a system camera?

milandro

After  some thinking caused by looking ( with a certain sense of disconcertment ) at all the growing in size of lenses and cameras that I’ve witnessed ever since I started my companionship with the X System, I decided to take a step back and strip things to the minimum. 

I have now (shown in another thread) rehabilitated an old and small case.  I can only put a camera and one or two lenses in this bag.

Also, even only my X-T1 camera would only fit in there if I strip it down to its bare minimum.

It would be even smaller if I were to equip it with a small lens alone but I am not sure that I want to sacrifice a certain zoom and lens interchangeability capability.

After all I chose not to go for a  fixed lens camera.

So, I’ve stripped my X-T1 of its L plate with front grip, taken away the long eyecup ( wouldn’t fit in the bag right way up otherwise) and the comfortable but bulky leather strap.

I want to see how this goes.

Perhaps it is a bit of a luddite attitude but I really think that we can all do with quite a bit less.

I would certain agree with you, over the last year I have taken a lot less of gear with me even on assignment, just barest minimum needed and make do with whatever I have.

This somehow changed my bag but still at times I do regret to taken this lens, or that light or even an extra flash with me for some extra effect.

I think I am going to slightly alter it toward "if it fits inside this bag, then I will take it with me, just in case". This is far from perfect but still works on general terms.

the reason why I have joined in the forum fun is exactly because of the above.....I was a pro and I lugged my pro gear around for fun??? on days off.....having retired I flogged the Nikon stuff and got an XT-1 with only the 27mm lens for the simple reason  that i see it as a "take it anyway / more often" option to the Nikon, which because of its size and weight was being left behind more and more....I see the move to X system as a way to improve that situation and get me taking photos for pleasure alone........time will tell if I am able to resist the lure of another lens....but with limited income that will probably not happen

I have only done this momentous move in the last few days and so there are no XT-! images from me ....yet !

Interesting...

Just after I got the X-T2, I noticed that I was always carrying a whole bag of stuff with me. X-T1 with the samyang wide-angle and a quick release tripod plate, tripod, remote relase, the 27 in case I want a closer shot, the 55-200 + closeup-lens in case there's an opportunity for a macro shot, for which I might also need the ring flash, and of course the X-T2 with the 100-400 attached, and then the teleconverter... etc. etc.

One day I thought I'll just take one camera and one lens, and that's it. So i took only the X-T2 with battery grip, teleconverter and the 100-400, no bag, simply slung around my shoulder. I was out the whole day from sunrise to sunset, didn't get tired and it was overall a much more pleasing experience than before.

Anyway, I don't think it's about limiting the gear you have, just about limiting the gear you take with you on each occasion.

After  some thinking caused by looking ( with a certain sense of disconcertment ) at all the growing in size of lenses and cameras that I’ve witnessed ever since I started my companionship with the X System, I decided to take a step back and strip things to the minimum. 

I have now (shown in another thread) rehabilitated an old and small case.  I can only put a camera and one or two lenses in this bag.

Also, even only my X-T1 camera would only fit in there if I strip it down to its bare minimum.

It would be even smaller if I were to equip it with a small lens alone but I am not sure that I want to sacrifice a certain zoom and lens interchangeability capability.

After all I chose not to go for a  fixed lens camera.

So, I’ve stripped my X-T1 of its L plate with front grip, taken away the long eyecup ( wouldn’t fit in the bag right way up otherwise) and the comfortable but bulky leather strap.

I want to see how this goes.

Perhaps it is a bit of a luddite attitude but I really think that we can all do with quite a bit less.

I feel liberated already! :D 

well this thread was about minimalism. :rolleyes:

You made me remember of the second assignment when I started my own studio, many years ago.

My business partner and I, not knowing exactly what we would be facing once we got to the client, we took anything we had, from small format to my FATIF tripod ( incredibly heavy) and 4” x 5” DS camera.

Anyway, I shot many portraits for CD’s using only my Rolleiflex GX 2.8 with the 80mm alone. :ph34r:

Great for you!  I also agree the Fuji lenses are getting massive.  The 16-55, 50-140, even the 56 1.2 -- way to big for me.  I left Nikon to reduce bulk and weight.  Yet, I've built up a tidy collection of lenses, that all serve a purpose.  However, unless I'm traveling via auto, not all of these lenses leave the house;  if they do, I'll break them down into one of my three different bags I own.  I do not like to carry to much weight with me so I try to stick to my 16 1.4, and the 18-55 as a staple - must have - lenses.  Around that kit, depending what I'm shooting,  I'll throw in the 23 1.4, OR (not both) 35 1.4,  or maybe the 55-200.  Again, it depends on what I'm after.

well, my intention when I started this thread was different and was precisely to pointing people to using as little as possible 

Not in  relative but absolute terms.

Incidentally, a Rolleiflex is a 6 x 6 cm camera and the normal focal lens( 75 to 80mm)  is approximatively equal to the 35 on the aps-c and there is plenty of architecture shot with it, just not the same way you do with a wideangle.

One needs the right tool for oneself and for one’s vision and experience when doing any job.

Just found on line a great example of Rolleiflex ( and normal lens , this is the humble Tessar 75mm 3.5, although there is a wideangle and tele version of the camera) architecture shot by photographer © Stephen Lewis

https://bubkes.org/category/rolleiflex-6x6cm/page/2/

0177-2.jpg?w=545&h=545

Edited by milandro

well, my intention when I started this thread was different and was precisely to pointing people to using as little as possible 

You just don't like anybody disagreeing with you. No worries, I won't post in your threads anymore. 

No,  that would be petty and cheap. The reason why I object to your post is because it has nothing to do with the thread.

I don’t see the point of using the thread that I started( about something else, you very welcome to start yours on the content of your bag, there are such threads already! ) to talk about something that the thread isn’t about. But you are most welcome to do as you please.

As for disagreeing on the use of the 80mm on a Rolleiflex. I suppose I have different experience from yours ( perhaps you’ve never had the benefit of using a 6 x 6 cm camera) in using a standard lens for architecture, and I just shown that it is very well possible to shoot architecture with a standard lens.

Edited by milandro