What Could Cause this Spot?

KMLNewYork

I need some opinions as to what could cause the circular spot that shows up in the center of the sky in this picture.  The picture was taken with an X-T2 using a 23mm f/2 lens with a polarizing filter.  All the pictures that include the sky show this spot.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

this is  dust 

It is either a spot of something on your sensor, or on the rear element of that lens. Does the spot happen with other lenses? If so, it's the sensor.

absolutely spot on ( sorry could’t resist!)  ;)

If it is taken at f 2 the chance that it is on the rear element of a lens is not very high and I predict that at close aperture this should be much more visible and defined.

Sometimes (as I had a few days ago) the spot are only visible past a certain aperture ( mine were invisible up to f 10) 

First try to blow it off, chances are that it is only dust, but that it is not stuck. If nothing happens you either need a wet clean or a gel clean.

Some shops, luckily, perform this as part of their routine and service other charge you for this.

Also point a light source ( preferably some powerful small source) at the sensor , you should be able to see the culprit.

Edited by milandro

Tried using a Giotto Rocket with no success. I then got a Sensor Gel Stick from Amazon and that appears to have solved the problem. I'll Try the camera tomorrow during the day to make sure. Thanks for all your input.

It seems that cleaning the sensor did not resolve the problem.  The spot is still there, but it seems to fade in and out.  My current thinking is that if could be related to some bad pixels on the sensor.  I am going to take the camera and the lens into FujiFilm America in Edison, NJ tomorrow to see what they say.  I'll provide an update when I know more.

No, bad pixels ( hot or dead)  are not black they are red or white or colored in any case.

The reason why it fades in or out is the aperture that you use.

Closed apertures make the spot visible, less close make it less or not visible at all.

Blowing it off is NOT equalling cleaning the sensor, this needs, a wet or gel cleaning.

This can also be dirt which could happen on the last element of a lens but it wouldn’t be the 23 but a more wideangle one.

Edited by milandro

No, bad pixels ( hot or dead)  are not black they are red or white or colored in any case.

The reason why it fades in or out is the aperture that you use.

Closed apertures make the spot visible, less close make it less or not visible at all.

Blowing it off is NOT equalling cleaning the sensor, this needs, a wet or gel cleaning.

This can also be dirt which could happen on the last element of a lens but it wouldn’t be the 23 but a more wideangle one.

I just checked again and it appears in the EVF, when focusing on a white wall, no matter which aperture I use.  The intensity of the spot does not change when I change apertures.

well, that the dust spot is really huge and should be well visible even if you open the camera and peek down the shaft to the sensor ( do that ).

But it is definitely NOT a dead or hot pixel ( a dead pixel will show as a white dot because there is no energy there and a hot one would be colored)

well, it is a quick procedure,and took less than 10 minutes at the shop, how many hours would it take to retouch every single image that you take?

Not many minutes as it goes. There's only one spot and I don't take too many photos therefore it's not too onerous for now. When I get more I'll end up getting it cleaned properly. When you talk about time consuming, scanning my huge 6x17cm slides from my Fuji GX617 and dust busting the scans - now that's onerous with no easy fix (please don't mention Digital ICE).

Edited by MShannon

To each his own.

To me, the continuous fuss of retouching something (especially as op’s case in the middle of the image) would ruin the experience of taking pictures.

I had something similar years ago with a Canon that I was using to shoot mostly studio still life ( the dirt was on the margin of the format and easily retouched).

Unfortunately ( for me) while I was working (years ago) as photographer for the Dutch Royal Library I had to scan thousands of images ( on any format possible of scanner I would have used an imacon for the one you mention).

scanning ( and retouching the scans ) wan never my cup of tea.

Edited by milandro

Fortunately, I don't have to scan many 617 slides. I do love shooting that camera and format though as I feel it gives the brain a good workout. The scanning is probably the least enjoyable part but very necessary. I feel it is vindicated when I see the results up on someone's wall :) I'd love an Imacon, but they are too pricey to justify for my needs.

I'm in a similar situation, albeit devoid of such advanced tech as I used to borrow the scanner from my work as and when required. It doesn't need to come home any more after I was given a wee promotion and have an office to house the photography equipment. How long did a scan at A0 take?

long, depending on the resolution, even hours ( and sometimes you needed to start all over again).

We also had a 4" x 5” back for cameras which was capable of producing files 720Mb.

Sometimes shooting something took 20 minutes with that!

It was a very long time ago and, as far as I know, that A0 scanner had only one other equal at the time in the NL. 

I also shot a huge “ illumination” ( the painted images of ancient manuscripts) project which was all shot on Fuji film and then digitized (by me).

Another incredible project was doing the scans of the X-Rays of paper watermarks ... most people don’t even have any idea of how much high quality work is done at National libraries. Projects that are only possible with huge investments that nowadays are everywhere under threat because we put weapons above culture.

long, depending on the resolution, even hours ( and sometimes you needed to start all over again).

We also had a 4" x 5” back for cameras which was capable of producing files 720Mb.

Sometimes shooting something took 20 minutes with that!

It was a very long time ago and, as far as I know, that A0 scanner had only one other equal at the time in the NL. 

I also shot a huge “ illumination” ( the painted images of ancient manuscripts) project which was all shot on Fuji film and then digitized (by me).

Another incredible project was doing the scans of the X-Rays of paper watermarks ... most people don’t even have any idea of how much high quality work is done at National libraries. Projects that are only possible with huge investments that nowadays are everywhere under threat because we put weapons above culture.

That is an informative post and it's good to get some insight to these things. The last sentence is sadly true :/

• 3 years later...
On 2/25/2017 at 3:45 PM, KMLNewYork said:

I need some opinions as to what could cause the circular spot that shows up in the center of the sky in this picture.  The picture was taken with an X-T2 using a 23mm f/2 lens with a polarizing filter.  All the pictures that include the sky show this spot.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello, I have the EXACT same issue. I don't think it's dust cause it is also a perfect circle that is in the exact size and color. What were you told at the Fuji store?

Thanks,

Lom

• 2 years later...