Issues with Yongnuo YN560-TX Triggers

arch_202

This month I decided to make an investment in a Yongnuo flash system based on high praise from this forum and others. I have 2 YN560 IV flashes, and a YN560-tx trigger, all in the cannon version and in use on my xt-1.

Flashes fire fine while mounted directly to the hot shoe, and connect and can be fired from the 560-tx while mounted to my xt-1. But the flashes will only fire once from the tx. I'll fire the shutter and the tx will pop both connected flashes, wait a few seconds (adjust the model, the lights, ect), and then try and fire a second shot, but the flashes won't pop. The blue LED lights up fine on both flashes, as if the tx is still connected appropriately. They will only fire again once I adjust a power/zoom/group setting on the tx trigger. I've gotten into the habit of just bumping the power up then down on the tx before each shot, just to get the flashes to fire. But this poses a problem when I need to take multiple shots quickly, or if (as is the case when I have no model...) i'm taking self-portraits and am operating from the fuji camera remote app. 

I then tried operating the flashes in trx mode, firing with one flash on the camera and one off. Same thing. The flashes will fire once from camera release no problem, but will not fire again until I adjust a setting on either flash. Optical slave mode fires consecutive flashes no problem, and the pilot button works consecutively no problem as well. My suspicion is that they're wating for a half-press wake up signal from the tx before each flash release, but since I'm operating from a fuji camera, the wake-up signal on half-press is not supported, and it doesn't send it. 

I've scoured the forums and tutorials around the web to see if i'm doing something wrong. I've set what I think are the appropriate settings (same channel and groups on all connected flashes/trigger, flashes in rx mode, single flash, camera not in silent mode, manual shutter, single shot, live-view off). I even ordered a second trigger, but when that arrived yesterday and operated exactly the same way, I reached a particular level of despair. I'm considering returning it all and abandoning off-camera flashes for the time being.

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

In fact I did not.

I contacted a yongnuo retailer, and he said he had never encountered this problem before. Since then I've tried updating the camera's firmware since there were a lot of improvements to the flash menu, but still no luck. I had already passed the deadline for returns, so i'm stuck with them i'm afraid :/ 

Let me know if you figure any of it out!

That sounds really odd.  I have the Nikon version (which I don't think it matters as it just uses the center pin to fire) and have the Tx on the camera and the flashes off to the side on a small light stand.  I can shoot away and each time the flash will fire fine (as long as it has time to recharge).  It was that way when I had them on my Nikon bodies, and the same works for my XT1 and XT2.

Camera body is mechanical shutter only.  Make sure you are not using either electronic shutter or MS+ES.  I think I remember someone commenting once that if ES is enabled at all, flash can be a problem.

In fact I did not.

I contacted a yongnuo retailer, and he said he had never encountered this problem before. Since then I've tried updating the camera's firmware since there were a lot of improvements to the flash menu, but still no luck. I had already passed the deadline for returns, so i'm stuck with them i'm afraid :/ 

Let me know if you figure any of it out!

UNREAL.... IDK what in the world is going on. the only thing that just came to my head is that it may be the type of battery just mayyyyybe the issue but i gotta try it and see... this sucks because it works flawlessly with my X100S.. how the X-PRO2 being a better and Pro level Fuji X system not work with the same flashes.. that makes me scratch my head hardcore and its very frustrating..

Same. I tried changing my batteries with more expensive ones, but still no luck. I had originally thought that the flashes/trigger were waiting for an additional signal from the camera on half-press. I had heard that was an unsupported feature on fuji cameras, but I haven't found a way to test that theory. It also would make less sense if you've operated these successfully on another fuji camera..... But still. I can't find any features/settings on the flashes that adjust the signals that they receive. The only thing remotely close is the transceiver modes, but changing those just causes them all to stop working completely. It seems to only be a problem when they are connected wirelessly. Slave mode works fine. 

My computer engineer roommate has tossed out the possibility of signal interference, and i'll admit that I don't have the knowledge to check him on that, but it seems to me like if there was interference they wouldn't be firing at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's all I got.

Same. I tried changing my batteries with more expensive ones, but still no luck. I had originally thought that the flashes/trigger were waiting for an additional signal from the camera on half-press. I had heard that was an unsupported feature on fuji cameras, but I haven't found a way to test that theory. It also would make less sense if you've operated these successfully on another fuji camera..... But still. I can't find any features/settings on the flashes that adjust the signals that they receive. The only thing remotely close is the transceiver modes, but changing those just causes them all to stop working completely. It seems to only be a problem when they are connected wirelessly. Slave mode works fine. 

My computer engineer roommate has tossed out the possibility of signal interference, and i'll admit that I don't have the knowledge to check him on that, but it seems to me like if there was interference they wouldn't be firing at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's all I got.

I got and reply in message on Reddit from a fellow with the same issue. He stated he changed either the Flashes or the Transmitter. he did not specify but replied to ask if it was the TX or the flashes. I'm putting my money on the TX because i don't understand how i get 2 NEW flashes from the box and and they both behave the same... so i would think that we Should replace the TX and hopefully thats the issue... I would love to think that it would be because there little to no information about this problem online.. so i feel almost very alone on this issue... 

WOOOOOAH... I was Wrong.. the person replied and said he exchanged the TX 3 times and still had the issue. he said it was the Flash UNIT..... so my fellow people... exchange the dam FLASH unit until it works with your X-Pro2 X-PRO 2 or X-T2... 

Cheers.. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with my X-Pro2 and the Yongnuo 560TX triggering a Yongnuo 560IV flash.

My non-optimal work around is to adjust something on the transmitter in-between each shot, if I just change the power up and then down again and then it will fire the flash. The next shot I have to make some adjustment again for it to fire, otherwise it doesn't. It seems to be something needs to keep the two units awake.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm adding a +1 on this issue.

I'm using and XT-1 with the same TX + 2 560IV units. Mine has a slight variation of issue in that the flash(es) will trigger and fire great for quite a while and then all of the sudden they stop firing on shutter release. However, when I press the test button on the TX they DO fire. Odd. So it's not the TX to 560IV communication it would seem nor the flashes. So I'm going to put out the idea that there is something going on with the signal that the fuji is sending to the TX. Does this idea jog someone's imagination?

When they do work I'm loving them...but have to figure out a way to get them consistent....they stop a shoot in it's tracks when they do this. 

Also I'll have to try to the power up then down idea tomorrow.....didn't think of that today or Tuesday when this happened. 

Happy shooting

Dan

• 2 months later...

I have the YN560TX, YN560III, and YN560IV.  
The YN560III fires every time, the YN560IV only fires once.  The only work around I found is to make an adjustment on the remote to get it to flash again.  

PS:  Not a Fuji user (have the Sony a6000), so it seems not the camera but flash related and specific to the YN560IV.

Keith Meinhold

keithmeinhold.com

• 4 weeks later...

Odd. I'm having exactly the problem you're describing with the YN560-TX on my Sony a7rii. It flashes once and then some sort of adjustment has to be made on the trigger before it will flash again. The blue light flashes indicating a signal has been received but no flash. That being said the setup works perfectly on my X-T2.

I find it simpler to keep the 560-TX off-camera to control the flash settings, and put an RF-603 trigger on the camera to trigger the flash. This way, it's much easier - especially in low light - to adjust the flash settings on the 560-TX, and the RF-603 is much less cumbersome in the hotshoe. This should eliminate the problems described above, and a set of RF-603 triggers is fairly cheap. Just a thought. 

I signed up just to make this comment because it is driving me mad.  The same thing is happening to me with a Panasonic G7.  The 560IV fires with the first shot.  Second shot- nothing.  The blue light flashes, but no trigger. If I touch any adjustment on the 560TX then the next shot will fire, and then it's back to square one.  It's happening on Fujis and Sonys and Pannies, and it's happening with the 560IV.  I have a shoot for a commercial property in a week.  So, I guess my options are to go for a cactus trigger set or a cheaper set of 603's, or take a chance and buy a new 560IV and do some kind of ritual dance...  I can't take the chance at this point anymore and there doesn't seem to be an answer to this problem.  I guess it's just a glitch in the software somewhere.  Right now I don't care about remotely controlling the settings on my 560IV as much as I need the thing to flash without my having to walk all the way back to the camera every time and look like a moron to my clients.  It's just for single room shots and some window pulls.  I'm gonna try the different trigger (603/cactus) option and return the 560tx.  Bummer.  What a great concept.  Maybe they're intended to work all the way with only Nikon and Canon?  SMH

• 1 month later...

To further kick the can down the road, I might as well add my name to the list.

Received my brand new, bagged and boxed 560TX with two 560IV's today... Hooked em up, synced em up, pop... and then nothing.

Same as everyone else here... I can reengage them after the first pop, by flipping the power setting back and forth... pop, then nothing... flip back and forth, pop, then nothing... So, reading a previous response above that Yongnuo customer support was "not aware" of this, tells me they are either aloof, or ignoring the reports...

This seems to be an issue that goes beyond a couple of faulty units. Whether it's a massive batch problem, or something that we have not yet discovered, seems to me this would be something that is escalating and should be addressed. Fingers crossed.

Edited by recasper

I just signed up to add my name to this list, except I am using a Canon 5D mk iii. 

I have one YN560 IV on-camera (in TX mode, acting as master), and two more off-camera in RX mode. I have factory-reset them multiple times and tried all manner of settings, but no matter what I do they will only fire once, unless I change a setting. This won't work for me, as I need them for weddings and won't have time to change something each time.

I will be contacting Amazon to see if I can return one of the flashes for a TX instead to see if that fixes it. Actually, maybe I will first try using each of the three flashes as the TX to see if that makes a difference.

Just wanted to let you guys know that it's not just Fuji cameras having this issue, it can affect Canons as well.

• 5 months later...

WORKAROUND for this Problem:

I have the same problem with the flash only firing once...kinda.

Gear:

Sony a6000

560TXII

[A] New 560 IV bought brand new from B&H

Used 560 IV bought used from ebay

[C] Used 560 IV bought used from ebay

With the 560TXII, Flash A will always be triggered every time whereas B & C will only fire once until something is changed on the 560TXII. If I use the TEST button ALL will fire ALL the time.

If I put the 560TXII onto an old Nikon in the hotshoe ALL Flashes will fire EVERY time.

If I mount Flash A directly on the Sony and set it to TX then both other flashes fire every time. If I mount Flash B directly on the Sony and set it to TX then Flash A fires every time but C only fires once. 

I can only assume that there is a difference in the manufacture of the new and used ones. I wish there were serial numbers on the units to see the date of manufacture.

I did figure a work around though, Place a bulldog clip on the 560TX and apply pressure to either the "GR/*" or TEST button. All flashes will fire every time, to change the flash power remove the clip and adjust. 

Not ideal, but acceptable for me when line of sight doesnt work on a real estate shoot where the flashes are in different rooms.

Hope this helps someone out there!

M.

Edited by snaplash

• 1 month later...

Same issue here, using an X-T1 & and X100T with a new TX and two 560IVs.  So there's still no fix, other than keeping always keeping the "GR/*" or TEST button pressed? Anyone? Ugh. 

Anyone had success returning and getting a new unit that actually works, or should I assume the majority will have this issue these days?

SOLUTION FOUND! 

Well, I hope I can explain this adequately enough.  Basically, the flash is not seeded onto the camera right.  Now before you deny this, let me explain.

My cameras: Nikon D750, D610 (x2)

If you look at your camera hot shoe, you will notice a small hole in the front of the shoe (if you are looking at the shoe from the back of the camera).

Now turn your YN-560-TX over and look at it. Where the small hole is in the hot shoe, there will be a pin that pops out as you twist the flash controller unit's wheel (the wheel that fastens the FCunit to the camera)

This pin MUST go into the hole on the camera or else it will not fire the flash units more than once. So how I accomplished this task was to unscrew the wheel on the 560-TX until the pin was sticking out the furthest.

Here is the tricky part: you must slowly slide the FCunit onto the hot shoe and "listen" for the soft click. When you hear it, that's where it needs to be.

Apparently, the flash can be shoved forward too far, and its quite easy to accomplish this. 

Is this an error on Yongnuo's part? I think maybe it is. :(

SOLUTION FOUND! 

Well, I hope I can explain this adequately enough.  Basically, the flash is not seeded onto the camera right.  Now before you deny this, let me explain.

My cameras: Nikon D750, D610 (x2)

If you look at your camera hot shoe, you will notice a small hole in the front of the shoe (if you are looking at the shoe from the back of the camera).

Now turn your YN-560-TX over and look at it. Where the small hole is in the hot shoe, there will be a pin that pops out as you twist the flash controller unit's wheel (the wheel that fastens the FCunit to the camera)

This pin MUST go into the hole on the camera or else it will not fire the flash units more than once. So how I accomplished this task was to unscrew the wheel on the 560-TX until the pin was sticking out the furthest.

Here is the tricky part: you must slowly slide the FCunit onto the hot shoe and "listen" for the soft click. When you hear it, that's where it needs to be.

Apparently, the flash can be shoved forward too far, and its quite easy to accomplish this. 

Is this an error on Yongnuo's part? I think maybe it is. :(

I was just getting ready to return my units when I came across this in a Google search and had hope that maybe there was a fix....unfortunately, it's not working for me. Tested with a Fuji X-T1, I can see the pin & hear the click, but it doesn't change anything for me.  I've ben slowing listening and adjusting the position of the TX, but the flash still fires one time and one time only. :(

Hello, created this account just to post here. Was having this exact issue, very frustrating since he alternative is to spend hundreds more on branded equipmemt. This was the only site I found mention of this specific problem but thanks to knmrussell i managed to find the solution.

Also using a D750 and thought I would try sliding the controller until I heard the pin click into place. Unfortunately this did not quite solve the issue but I noticed something else. There is a light in the top left corner of my TX that turns green when placed correctly on the hotshoe, otherwise it remains off. Rather than sliding the controller until I heard the pin click I slid until the light turned green and remained on then tightened into place. After doing this i was able to trigger 3 YN560 IV repeatedly without having to make any adjustments.

Prior to this I was having similar issues as a previous commenter where the first flash to connect would go off fine every time but any other connected flashes would only work for the first photo after adjusting the settings. Also tried using each of the 560 IV as the TX and setting the remaining two to RX with same outcome - flash on camera and first RX flash to connect would fire every time but third would only fire once after adjustment.

First I did confirm the wireless response was working by pressing the test button on the TX controller. Every flash would fire when pressing that button and flashes would adjust based on the controller. Like knmrussell said, it must be a design flaw in the way the controller and flashes sit on the hotshoe that keeps it from functioning correctly. Just make sure the light on top left of controller is green and everything should work.

Hello

I'm trying to buy these lamps myself to use with X-T10

from what I see there are two versions for canon and nikon.

maybe only those from nikon work correctly with fuji and hence some have a problem described in this thread?

Regards

• 3 months later...

Sorry to pull up an old thread. Brand new YN560-tx and pair of 560 IV's. Still the same problem with Sony a6000 but I also noticed that the same problem persists when (off the camera) you ground the TX  front (set) pin with ground, that's basically what your firing trigger does, I get one flash from both IV's, and then just the blue light. So it seems that there's something going on with the 560tx and the 560IV's.... just a note, I already replaced the 560tx with a new one, so at the moment I have two that do the same exact thing.... Has anybody come up with any kind of solution?

• 1 year later...