Program mode - let us choose or priority

Jellicle

When I use my X-T2 in program mode (with aperture and shutter speed both on A) the camera seems to prioritise faster shutter speed over smaller apertures by default. I'm sure that works for some people but I'd prefer it to be the other way round. Does anyone else think a setting that lets us choose between those two options would be a useful addition to the camera? 

The current behaviour wouldn't be so bad if the program shift could be configured in one third, two thirds or full stop increments. It currently takes three movements of the command dial to shift the camera-selected program combination a full stop one way of another. Letting us specify the shift for each single movement of the dial would speed up the process.

Edited by Jellicle

using any professional camera in program mode is like driving a formula 1 with an automatic gearbox.

The whole point of using a camera like the X-T2 is to be in control. I don’t shoot manual because it is simply too slow for what I do but if I want the camera to prioritize aperture then I put it into Aperture priority automatism, read the shutter speed and adjust accordingly the aperture ( if the outcome isn’t favorable) or (and increasingly so these days since the incredible performance with high ISO) the ISO.

Whichever program you use you will always have to modify because the camera will always make choices that you wouldn’t appreciate, so, if you like aperture to be more significant, choose Aperture priority.

Edited by milandro

I don't get it... if you have a specific requirement of the aperture... why not just use aperture priority? I'm not familiar with all the CaNikon settings - is this something they offer?

Not sure I understand the need to change the program shift so rapidly in full stops either. What situations could have you needing to so rapidly change the shift?

I don't get it... if you have a specific requirement of the aperture... why not just use aperture priority? I'm not familiar with all the CaNikon settings - is this something they offer?

Not sure I understand the need to change the program shift so rapidly in full stops either. What situations could have you needing to so rapidly change the shift?

I don't believe this was a setting in any of my Canon cameras. I switched away from them about 2 years ago completely so I cannot check, but I don't recall this being available. Maybe it is a setting in some point and shoots or M4/3 cameras. I find aperture priority to be extremely fast to change, so I am with you.

For 40 years I've used aperture priority as the basis for my exposures. Now, as I do more street photography I'm finding it convenient to let the camera decide both settings - it's faster and I can concentrate more on the subject and less on the camera settings. That works for maybe 70% of the photographs I take, but when I do want to change a setting, it's almost always the aperture I want to change and I usually want it to be smaller.

On my Pentax K5 I notice that given the same scene the program settings deliver smaller apertures (and slower shutter speeds) by default. A friend who uses Canons tells me the same thing, compared to his X-T2.

Program shift may not make sense to you, but for my purposes it does make sense for me.