X-T2 / KAIZEN wishlist

Hey,

i wanted to start a wishlist for firmware improvements (KAIZEN). Maybe fujifilm reads this. Add you're own below!

Currently X-T2:
- Internal: 4k UHD, 4:2:0, 8bit, filmsimulation, 30fps
- Exernal: 4k UHD, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, 30fps
- only focus peaking but no zebra or vector scope

Panasonic gh5:
- Internal!: 4k UHD or DCI 4k, 4:2:2, 10bit, vlog, 24fps, 400 Mbps, All-Intra
- Internal!: 4k UHD, 4:2:0, 8bit, vlog, 60fps, 150 Mbps, IPB
- External: 4k UHD or DCI 4k, 4:2:2, 10bit, vlog, 60fps, 400 Mbps, All-Intra
- focus peaking, zebra, vector scopes

I know not everything is possible because of overheating but i guess they need to make improvements because of the competitive gh5.

So the possible wish features would be:

Fujifilm X-T2 KAIZEN update:
- Internal: 4k UHD, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, only 24fps (because of overheating?)
- Internal: 4k UHD, 4:2:0, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, 60fps
- External: 4k UHD or DCI 4K, 4:2:2, 10bit, flog only, 30fps
- External: 4k UHD or DCI 4k, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, 60fps
- External: 1080p, 4:2:0, 8bit, 120 fps
- zebras and histogramm in video mode
- a 1/48 option for 24fps shooting

what are you're most wanted features?
- maybe a higher bitrate?
- maybe the option for h264 and h265?
- maybe higher Mbps for better quality?
- maybe a rgb-histogramm or vector scopes?

Keep in mind not everything is possible because of sensor readout speed or overheating issues but maybe a few new features could be integrated for x-t2 + powergrip only?

This would make it a perfect camera for stills and video. You could use it even on big productions as a b-camera because of external 4:2:2 10bit. But in situations when an external recorder is too big and heavy you still have the option for internal 4:2:2 8bit with flog 24fps or 4:2:0 8bit flog/filmsimulation 60fps. 

Why i dont buy the gh5 instead?
I like the fujifilm x-t2 much more - the image quality is amazing - better lenses - bigger sensor - love the film simulations - dynamic range - ...

Dont understand me wrong im really impressed with the current video features of my x-t2 but i still think there is room for improvements.

Would be awesome if fujifilm reads this and thinks about future firmware updates for those hyprid fotographers/filmmakers which only want to buy one camera for both situations. 
Edited by Guest

I am still waiting for my XT2 (maybe this weekend) but one bugaboo with Fuji is I wish Fuji would allow us to disable Noise Reduction completely.  

On the video end if they could offer a high speed record say 120 or 240 fps even at a lesser resolution (a la the Sony RX100iV) it would be very special. 

I would love a 5:4 crop in addition to the current 3:2 crop.  I just love the look of those files for some inexplicable reason.

This can be done via firmware and, if it's anything like my D800e 5:4 mode I will lose some megapixels - on the D800 it goes from 36 to 30 so I would anticipate the 24.3MP would drop to 20?  My guess.  But I would love that crop... Both in JPEG and RAW

Edited by jlmphotos

Hey,

i wanted to start a wishlist for firmware improvements (KAIZEN). Maybe fujifilm reads this. Add you're own below!

Currently X-T2:
- Internal: 4k UHD, 4:2:0, 8bit, filmsimulation, 30fps
- Exernal: 4k UHD, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, 30fps
- only focus peaking but no zebra or vector scope

Panasonic gh5:
- Internal!: 4k UHD or DCI 4k, 4:2:2, 10bit, vlog, 24fps, 400 Mbps, All-Intra
- Internal!: 4k UHD, 4:2:0, 8bit, vlog, 60fps, 150 Mbps, IPB
- External: 4k UHD or DCI 4k, 4:2:2, 10bit, vlog, 60fps, 400 Mbps, All-Intra

I know not everything is possible because of overheating but i guess they need to make improvements because of the competitive gh5.

Fujifilm X-T2 KAIZEN update:
- Internal: 4k UHD, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, only 24fps (because of overheating?)
- External: 4k UHD or DCI 4K, 4:2:2, 10bit, flog only, 30fps
- External: 4k UHD or DCI 4k, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, 60fps
- External: 1080p, 4:2:0, 8bit, 120 fps
- zebras and histogramm in video mode
- a 1/48 option for 24fps shooting

what are you're most wanted features?
- maybe a higher bitrate?
- maybe the option for h264 and h265?
- maybe higher Mbps for better quality?
- maybe a rgb-histogramm or vector scopes?

Keep in mind not everything is possible because of sensor readout speed or overheating issues but maybe a few new features could be integrated for x-t2 + powergrip only?

This would make it a perfect camera for stills and video. You could use it even on big productions as a b-camera because of external 4:2:2 10bit. But in situations when an external recorder is too big and heavy you still have the option for internal 4:2:2 8bit with flog 24fps or 4:2:0 8bit flog/filmsimulation 60fps. 

Why i dont buy the gh5 instead?
I like the fujifilm x-t2 much more - the image quality is amazing - better lenses - bigger sensor - love the film simulations - dynamic range - ...

Dont understand me wrong im really impressed with the current video features of my x-t2 but i still think there is room for improvements.

Would be awesome if fujifilm reads this and thinks about future firmware updates for those hyprid fotographers/filmmakers which only want to buy one camera for both situations. 

Hey,

Maybe you could post something about a wish for firmware improvements on the x-t2 and we all hope fujifilm reads it.

Currently x-t2:
- Internal: 4kUHD, 4:2:0, 8bit, filmsimulation, 30fps
- Exernal: 4kUHD, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog, 30fps
- only focus peaking (no zebra or vector scope)

Panasonic gh5:
- Internal!: full 4k, 4:2:2, 10bit, vlog, 24fps
- Internal!: full 4k, 4:2:0, 8bit, vlog 60fps
- External: almost the same

Fujifilm X-t2
- Internal: 4k UHD, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, only 24fps (because overheating)
- External: 4k UHD or full 4K, 4:2:2, 10bit, flog only, 30fps
- External: 4k UHD or full 4k, 4:2:2, 8bit, flog or filmsimulation, 60fps
- focus peaking and zebras

This would make it a perfect camera. You could use it even on big productions as a b-camera because of external 4:2:2 10bit. But in situations when an external recorder is too big and heavy you still have the option for internal 4:2:2 8bit with flog and 24fps or 4:2:0 8bit flog/filmsimulation with 60fps. 

Would be awesome if fujifilm reads this and thinks about future firmware updates for those hyprid fotographers/filmmakers which only want to buy one camera for both. 

Im really impressed with the current video features of my x-t2 but i still think there is a big room for improvements.

Why not just get a video camera?  Seriously.  I would rather fuji work on developing better still photo features, like my 5:4 crop request, and other lenses than screw around with video.  But, that's just me -- I have yet to to press the record button on either my 3 year old X-T1, or my -2... So, take that with a grain of salt.

Add adjust ISO while recording to your wish list. Sometimes you need to make quick changes to exposure, and I would prefer to use ISO over aperture or SS.

As to the "get a video camera" argument, not trying to be hostile, but its so tired. Everyone else has strong video offerings, Fuji will quickly fade to irrelevant if it ceases to improve its video capabilities. You do realize Fuji sells more cameras if it appeals to a wider range of shooters, right? 

I own 2 XT2's a the 10-24, 18-55, 16-55, 50-140, 55-200, 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 - if it didn't have great 4k video I'd still be shooting with the A7rII and A6300. I know a few other XT2 shooters that would not own the camera if it didn't have its current video capabilities. I loved the stills from the Xpro2, but it was never something I would consider because of its video.

Besides the exposure aids and Flog are a simple FW fix, the camera already has the capabilities built in, they just aren't functional.

Cheers

What I really need and miss is:

1. Expose for highlights - expose as much to the right as possible, but with no overexposed highlights. Such feature is available in the Nikon D810 and the Olympus OM-d E-M1 and I'm really surprised and upset that it is missing in the Fujifilm's cameras, as for me it is a "must have" feature for the RAW shooters.

2. Focus bracketing - up to 99 shots. Such feature is available in the Olympus OM-D E-M1. Great for macro work. Currently I use the slow and tedious manual focus bracketing, using the focusing rails, what works for a still subject, but it doesn't for something alive.

3. Time lapse 4K movie - the camera takes a single shot in the intervals set by you and in a number (or total time) set by you and at the end of the session it merges all the shots into a 4K movie with the frame rate set by you. Such feature is available in the Nikon D810 (but not in 4K, of course).

4. Usable Wi-Fi - if necessary, add an external Wi-Fi unit, but finally make the Wi-Fi usable. By "usable" I mean: fast connectivity via L2 as well as L3 network; manual setup of the IP address of the camera (or external Wi-Fi unit) and support for DHCP with ability to check the assigned IP address; PC software, the same for both file download and remote camera control, able to be set up manually in terms of target camera IP address - no stupid "pairing" process at all; ability to secure the connection using at least shared password; ability to set the camera itself, with no external software, to upload all the files as well as selected only files to the server defined by IP address - BOTH: SMB and FTP.

Here's my list:

More aspect ratios like 5:4 and 4:3

Better bracketing like in the GFX

Internal f-log recording

RGB histogram at least in playback

Highlight warning at least in playback

A menu option to enlarge the sensor to a medium format one

OK, maybe the last one isn't very realistic but how cool would it be?

I am still waiting for my XT2 (maybe this weekend) but one bugaboo with Fuji is I wish Fuji would allow us to disable Noise Reduction completely.  

On the video end if they could offer a high speed record say 120 or 240 fps even at a lesser resolution (a la the Sony RX100iV) it would be very special. 

yes, that would be awesome!

Add adjust ISO while recording to your wish list. Sometimes you need to make quick changes to exposure, and I would prefer to use ISO over aperture or SS.

As to the "get a video camera" argument, not trying to be hostile, but its so tired. Everyone else has strong video offerings, Fuji will quickly fade to irrelevant if it ceases to improve its video capabilities. You do realize Fuji sells more cameras if it appeals to a wider range of shooters, right? 

I own 2 XT2's a the 10-24, 18-55, 16-55, 50-140, 55-200, 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 - if it didn't have great 4k video I'd still be shooting with the A7rII and A6300. I know a few other XT2 shooters that would not own the camera if it didn't have its current video capabilities. I loved the stills from the Xpro2, but it was never something I would consider because of its video.

Besides the exposure aids and Flog are a simple FW fix, the camera already has the capabilities built in, they just aren't functional.

Cheers

Thank you for your suggestions. Internal Flog would be really awesome. Youre right. Fuji needs to stay comparable to Manufactures like Sony or other ones with great video capabilities

What I really need and miss is:

1. Expose for highlights - expose as much to the right as possible, but with no overexposed highlights. Such feature is available in the Nikon D810 and the Olympus OM-d E-M1 and I'm really surprised and upset that it is missing in the Fujifilm's cameras, as for me it is a "must have" feature for the RAW shooters.

2. Focus bracketing - up to 99 shots. Such feature is available in the Olympus OM-D E-M1. Great for macro work. Currently I use the slow and tedious manual focus bracketing, using the focusing rails, what works for a still subject, but it doesn't for something alive.

3. Time lapse 4K movie - the camera takes a single shot in the intervals set by you and in a number (or total time) set by you and at the end of the session it merges all the shots into a 4K movie with the frame rate set by you. Such feature is available in the Nikon D810 (but not in 4K, of course).

4. Usable Wi-Fi - if necessary, add an external Wi-Fi unit, but finally make the Wi-Fi usable. By "usable" I mean: fast connectivity via L2 as well as L3 network; manual setup of the IP address of the camera (or external Wi-Fi unit) and support for DHCP with ability to check the assigned IP address; PC software, the same for both file download and remote camera control, able to be set up manually in terms of target camera IP address - no stupid "pairing" process at all; ability to secure the connection using at least shared password; ability to set the camera itself, with no external software, to upload all the files as well as selected only files to the server defined by IP address - BOTH: SMB and FTP.

4k Timelapse with auto merge is a great idea!

Raw histogram - displayed across the whole screen (as one display option).

you can already get a raw histogramm on the x-t2. but diplayed on the hole screen is an awesome idea!

Here's my list:

More aspect ratios like 5:4 and 4:3

Better bracketing like in the GFX

Internal f-log recording

RGB histogram at least in playback

Highlight warning at least in playback

A menu option to enlarge the sensor to a medium format one

OK, maybe the last one isn't very realistic but how cool would it be?

what is the better bracketing in the gfx?

rgb histogram sounds great to me.

highlight warning is really important. dont know why they dont implemented it yet.

Hey, here's my feature requests to the amazing X-T2.

1 - Wheel Lock or Shutter Speed lock assigned to a function button.

I'm in England so film at 25fps. This means I need to use 1/50 shutter speed for natural motion.

To get this I can either set the shutter dial to 1/30 or 1/60 and then roll the back wheel to select 1/50.

Unfortunately i've noticed on many times that i've nudged the back wheel & changed the shutter speed to 1/40 or 1/60 mid shoot!

2 - Flog internal 4k & HD, and Flog external HD

The internal 4k Flog is obviously a much requested feature, but I also would love Flog on HD HDMI.

I already have a ninja blade HD recorder & want the benefits of Flog.

Obviously any video improvements included high frame rates would be very appreciated ;)

That's it for now, still loving this thing!

what is the better bracketing in the gfx?

rgb histogram sounds great to me.

highlight warning is really important. dont know why they dont implemented it yet.

"AE Bracketing (2/3/5/7/9 frames) ±1/3EV - ±3EV, 1/3EV step" - http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx_50s/features/page_05.html

The interface is super nice too. I saw it in a video a while back. Don't remember where, but the PDF manual should be out soon enough for more detailed information

Edited by ErikN

Re. the histogram, I would also like to have the left/right boundaries visible. As it is now the histogram kind of "floats" in a grey box making exact judgement of clipping threashold difficult.

Not only that, but the spacing on the right side is wider than on the left :-/ Makes it almost useless. I guess the designer and the developer didn't communicate well on that one...

Raw histogram - displayed across the whole screen (as one display option).

Fully agree. The histogram needs substantial re-work and improvement - RAW and full screen both at the same time is a must.

Fixes needed for X-T2:

• Fuji needs to fix the Auto WB / color signature of the new sensor (X-Trans III) to match the WB of X-Trans II. The old sensor simply had superior skintones and worked much better for SOOC shooters in general. The color signature of the new sensor renders jpegs without the perfect skintones, crispness and beautiful tonality of X-Trans II. 
  • Fix the erratic nature of the new exposure system. Too many times it underexposes by 1/3 to 2/3 stops, compared to the previous gen. cams.

- Increased frames for Bracketing (2-9).

- Increase the maximum allowed time selection in T mode, not maxing out at 30 seconds.

- Increased frames in Multi-Exposure mode (2-9), as well as an Auto Gain on / off setting, AND make it produce RAF files instead of only JPG. (I used to love Multiple Exposures on my Nikon FX cameras, but feel like it's just a minor afterthought in the Fuji cameras.) It even has it's own spot on the drive dial, so please make it shine!

My list, sorted from most to least important:

- Bring back AF lock behavior from X-T1 (focus + lock, not just lock alone),

- +1 for highlight warning,

- Support for external, dedicated GPS module - one could possibly plug in through USB or just connect with WiFI. (The phone-based geotagging is almost useless unfortunately...)

- +1 for usable WiFi,

- +1 for more bracketing frames.