Fujinon XF 18mm F2 Mark II Rumors

Patrick FR

• 3 weeks later...

It will need to be more than just a minor update as the 18-55mm when at 18mm is only slightly larger and opens to nearly the same aperture while having OIS.  Version II will need to be a lot sharper than the zoom without growing bigger and heavier.

The 18-55 is much bigger than the 18 f/2 and that's why I miss my 18 f/2 (despite having the 18-55)

The 18 f/2 is the perfect lens to bring if you wanna bring a camera when going out for dinner or even the bar. Because of it small size it doesn't bring any attention. 

Edited by Hermelin

When I see Fuji making a "Mark II" i can't help but wonder how they are going to improve on what they already have.  Most their lenses are already great.  However in this case adding "WR" weather resistance would be an improvement and follow along with the 23, 35, 50 f2 line up of late.  I try not to be tempted by new lenses any more as I already own too many, but If the 18 can remain a good size like it is and perhaps made a little sharper I will be tempted.

Faster focusing, quieter, weather resist, better IS, improved feel, lower cost (to build), improved IQ, replacing obsolete materials or components; these are all options for Fujifilm. If there are enough improvements, Mk II versions will sell themselves. It will happen even if a lens seems perfect as it is and building it requires no new design expense. When, is the big question. It could be 2 years or 20 years.

Which lenses do you think need a refresh aside from the rumored 18 and the 60, which could simply go EoL sometime after release of the 80?

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this makes the roadmap sooner rather than later! Is partnering it with XE-3 release too unrealistic?

I've been thinking about the original 18mm F2 and 27mm pancake as options for a minimal size carry-around camera. Something I can put on my XE-2 and actually fit semi-comfortably in a coat pocket. I'm holding off on buying either in hope the 18mm mk II keeps size a priority (and keeps the aperture ring too!). To me, IQ and autofocus upgrades are of course important, but not if it means the 18 mk II grows to the size of the 23mm F2. 

I'm thinking of selling my excellent 18-55 f/2.8-4. I don't know, I like the idea of only having primes, more fun IMO.

A lot of times I use the 18-55 @ 18 for landscape amuway, and the new 18 f/2 will probably be sharper, but mostly I will use the 18 in tight spaces indoors (like I did before) and when i want my camera to be as small as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

When I see Fuji making a "Mark II" i can't help but wonder how they are going to improve on what they already have.  Most their lenses are already great.  However in this case adding "WR" weather resistance would be an improvement and follow along with the 23, 35, 50 f2 line up of late.  I try not to be tempted by new lenses any more as I already own too many, but If the 18 can remain a good size like it is and perhaps made a little sharper I will be tempted.

In some years from now, i hope there will be half  a dozen new mark II lenses ,not only primes ,but zooms .Pretty sure it'll be a 'must' since the upcoming 'Ultimate X-Camera' will have a lot of trouble functioning wilth the old first generation glass especially in video with back focusing problems.Fast cameras will demand many fast lenses

Edited by Vasilis

I'm thinking of selling my excellent 18-55 f/2.8-4. I don't know, I like the idea of only having primes, more fun IMO.

A lot of times I use the 18-55 @ 18 for landscape amuway, and the new 18 f/2 will probably be sharper, but mostly I will use the 18 in tight spaces indoors (like I did before) and when i want my camera to be as small as possible.

Same for me. I already own the 35mm f2 and 50mm f2 and a Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 55mm f1.7. I think I will replace the 18-55mm by buying the 23mm f2 and 16mm f1.4 (as the 16 is already a superb glass which adds some wider focal length).

I really hope Fuji comes out with the MK II soon. I have been tempted several times to pick up the MK I but keep on hoping the MK II will come. 

Wait for the marl ii. I have the mark 1 and only use it if I absolutely need the focal length.

The 18mm is massively underrated. I had it twice and sold it twice because I bought into the groupthink that says it's not as good as the other lenses. But I kept coming back to the fact that I've taken some of my favourite pictures with it. I'm now on my third 18mm lens and I'm keeping it - until the mark 2 comes along.

b73ea6ab0ee47d3f4b5b5c5f5949f5a8.jpg190b40e41a0f350ea388c8d063255fd5.jpg58719c4c0f83b6ad5a8c57eb05a81ee9.jpg31ad501b86818aee87bc2fac5ce79afc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

The 18mm is massively underrated. I had it twice and sold it twice because I bought into the groupthink that says it's not as good as the other lenses. But I kept coming back to the fact that I've taken some of my favourite pictures with it. I'm now on my third 18mm lens and I'm keeping it - until the mark 2 comes along.

100% agree. I sold my copy and then thought to myself, "why the hell did I do that?" The focal length is just so great to get In close and get some active images. This plus my XPRO 2 is my carry around camera.

oxford-wedding-photographer-7.jpg?format

Edited by overnightcopyright

Same for me. I already own the 35mm f2 and 50mm f2 and a Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 55mm f1.7. I think I will replace the 18-55mm by buying the 23mm f2 and 16mm f1.4 (as the 16 is already a superb glass which adds some wider focal length).

That's really close in focal lenghts. 16,23,35,50,55 and you're going to add the 18 to that?

b73ea6ab0ee47d3f4b5b5c5f5949f5a8.jpg190b40e41a0f350ea388c8d063255fd5.jpg58719c4c0f83b6ad5a8c57eb05a81ee9.jpg31ad501b86818aee87bc2fac5ce79afc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That first one is stunning!