Adaptor for Canon EFS 10-22 lens for X-T1

VinceLane

Hi All

I have just joined this forum and I have a question about adapting Canon lenses for use on my X-T1. I recently purchased an X-T1 and am really, really happy with it.

I previously used a Canon EOS 550D and have several very nice lenses for that camera. I am wondering whether I can obtain and adapter so that I can use some of these lenses (specifically my Canon EFS 10-22mm) on the X-T1. And if I can, which adapter do I need and where can I purchase one?

Apologies of these are really naive questions, but any responses would be appreciated.

cheers, Vince

on line you will find a number of adaptors some will have no aperture at all ( depends on the lens that you want to adapt) and some will, for the lenses that haven’t , some will have electrical contacts ( and external power supply) some will have also focal reducing capabilities like the Zhongyi lens turbo II.

Adapting zooms is not very useful when you lose the autofocus.

Adapting wideangles will be impractical and won’t yield great results anyway. 

So, in the end you will see that unless you are single minded adaptive photography will only ever be a marginal part of your photography because the caveats are way more than the advantages over the lenses of the Fuji system ( Unless you want to have a race car on the hand brake all the time).

kafjxeoswa.jpgkipon_eos_fx_e_01.jpg?_ex=330x33031gd6p2MYHL.jpg2b83474b698bd55ca574c2469b826602.jpg

The EF lenses don't adapt very well to Fujifilm or most other brands. There seem to be some adapters to make them work reasonably well with Sony, but not really other brands. My recommendation would be to sell that lens and purchase the 10-24mm F/4 version from Fuji. You will definitely end up with better results. The main reason the EF lenses from Canon, and a lot of newer lenses in general, don't adapt well is they require electrical contacts to adjust aperture and to focus. I adapt some old FD lenses and some old k-mount ones with great success, but they all have manual aperture rings. I've sold all but one of my collection of Canon EF lenses, almost all of which were L versions. I have an adapter for the EF lenses, but never really used it for that reason. 

well, you are right, BUT, as amply shown above, there are adaptors ( with aperture possibility) and there are adaptors ( just adapting the bayonet and nothing else).

However I agree, I would not use this 1-22 an I wouldn’t use any adapted wideangle lens or a zoom or any other lens that only makes sense if used in autofocus.

Edited by milandro

I have looked into some that showed the aperture ring like above with the 1-6 numbers. The reviews weren't great and I think trying to control aperture with numbers 1-6 would be sort of hit or miss as well. The one that has the scroll wheel may be the most promising. I am down to one EF lens, the 50mm F/1.2L and will probably sell it this year though it would be fun to adapt if the aperture and AF worked.

Understood, but the lenses have more than 6 stops in aperture values so it either won't be doing the full range or somewhere in the middle it wouldn't be adjusting at full stops. Using the 50mm F/1.2 I still have. Would "1" be 1.2 or 1.4? If it would be 1.2, does that mean "2" would be 1.4 or would it then be 1.8?

6 stops  from the base is plenty.

1.2> 2> 2.4 >4> 4.8.> 8

1.4 > 1.8> 2.8 > 3.5 > 5.6> 7

each two values the value doubles as it does on your apertures. The reason why you can’t have too many apertures is that ( due to the position it is, incorrect really) it will vignette at some point.

The expensive ( $500!!!!)  electric one will actually operate the lens aperture electrically ( very cumbersome it has a separate source of electricity, that white box)

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-stkb/item/kipon-eos-fx-e_kipon-stef-ua/

Edited by milandro

• 2 months later...