Anyone planning NOT upgrading to x100F from x100T?

Hello

First, I would like to send many thanks to all the contributors to this site. I might have just joined but been reading this site for a while. 

My first introduction to Fuji was original x100. I traded that in for D7000 because my kids were toddlers and it was hard to follow them. Now, they have grown and I have chance to buy x100T for a VERY attractive price but reading many reviews of x100F I'm not sure if I should go for F or T. 

Does anyone NOT planning on upgrading to x100F from x100T?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Not in the same boat, but to give you an idea; I do not plan to upgrade from the X-Pro1 to the X-Pro2 soon. Realistically, the X-Pro1 does everything I need, and the only reason to upgrade would be the new Acros film simulation. I'm not shooting enough black and white to justify that.

I have the X100T and I have not decided on whether or not I will upgrade. I think the upgrade is worthy, but the X100T is not my main camera. I have an X-Pro2 and X-T2 that I use as my main cameras. I had the X100T for a while now, bought it a few months after it was released. I like the camera and enjoy using it, but the advantages it has over the X-Pro2 is limited to size and how quiet it is. If I upgraded to the X100F, I'd gain a lot of the functionality of the X-Pro2, but I don't know if I would use it enough to justify upgrading. I really enjoy the X-Pro2 and I think it has really replaced my need of the X100 series camera.

I am counting the days until I can get the 100F.  My X-T2 has spoiled me forever.  The joystick!  The new arrangement of the menu!  Those 2 things are worth the price.  And the easy change of the light.  I'm buying it the day it comes out.

I'm probably going to get an X100T (used). I'd like the new features from the X100F (particularly the ISO dial, all the RAW/JPG changes, and new battery), but the reason I'm getting an X100 is for the leaf shutter. The X100T will be half the price used of a new X100F, and since I have an X-T1, the X100T will fit into my existing workflow really smoothly (similar button layout, and identical files). 

I'd definitely like an X100F, just like I'd definitely like an X-Pro2, but I'm trying not to get too caught up in gear, and have come to terms with the fact that the X100T will be good enough, which is all that should really matter IMHO.

I will keep my X100T. For the last year I have used the X100T excusivly. It started as a kind of love/hate relationship, because sometimes the AF would let me down. So I learnt proper back-button-focusing and by now I get the pictures I want.

For me, the X100F is missing some things I would have liked to see: WR, flipscreen or at least RAW-support with the digital tele.

And there is one more thing. It's kind of stupid but I think the new front dial is downright ugly. There I said it. I love the vintage look of my X100T and the new front dial kind of spoils that.

I might think again if RAW-support for the digital tele comes with a firmeware update, but until then I will definitly keep my X100T.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm returning my X100F due to squishy screen and some EVF problems. I basically decided to go for a used X100T. However, upon further tests, I simply can't go back to X100T... F might look like a minor upgrade from the outside, but I tell you - it's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over the T :

1. Sensor. I still can't believe these new sensors resolve at 24 megapixels. I remember getting original X100 and I was like : "Man, 12 is enough!".

2. High ISO. I would never push old X-Trans II beyond 3200 ISO because of waxy skin tones(even at 3200). I can easily push my X-Pro 2 up to 8000 with no problem. Even 12800 is quite usable(for my taste).

3. New processor = speed. F is VERY FAST. Startup time is WHAAAAAM!

4. AF upgrades. F focuses faster than X-Pro2 with 23mm 1.4. I don't have 23 f2 to try, but I have 35 f2 and it's barely behind. Continuous autofocus is dramatically improved! It's USABLE NOW! 

5. Button layout and ergonomics. I'm not a fan of ISO dial on the top, but the fact that it can be assigned to front command dial is a no-brainer. I read that a lot of people find AFL button placement awkward, but it's perfect for my taste - it's right where I place my thumb. Joystick is another no-brainer. F is highly customizable. SO MANY FUNCTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM!

6. ACROS! If you shoot b&w this might be the solemn reason to upgrade. If you might not know, in-camera RAW processing of acros is much different that one in Lightroom. I usually import acros jpegs into Lightroom to do some minor tweaking. It's very, very good b&w simulation. I will probably end up shooting it for 80% of the time. 

Well, these are 6 major improvements for me. If you're willing to pay $100 for each, then you can easily justify upgrading from X100T.

• 3 weeks later...

My X100T was stolen recently [emoji22]

I'm waiting now for what the travel insurance covers, and then I have to decide between a 2nd hand T or a new F. Gravitating towards the T right now.

Two reasons; I was perfectly happy with the capabilities of the X100T, and of course the money.

Edited by johant

• 2 weeks later...

I will keep my X100T. For the last year I have used the X100T excusivly. It started as a kind of love/hate relationship, because sometimes the AF would let me down. So I learnt proper back-button-focusing and by now I get the pictures I want.

For me, the X100F is missing some things I would have liked to see: WR, flipscreen or at least RAW-support with the digital tele.

And there is one more thing. It's kind of stupid but I think the new front dial is downright ugly. There I said it. I love the vintage look of my X100T and the new front dial kind of spoils that.

I might think again if RAW-support for the digital tele comes with a firmeware update, but until then I will definitly keep my X100T.

Ahh ! I totally agree about the ugly looking front dial! 

APS-C sensors have reached their limit (for quality still applications). In fact for some types of work, like architectural or landscape, APS-C is already of little use.

Oddly though, this does not seem to hinder droves of skilled photographers from cranking out a boat load of stunning images in those very categories using nothing but APS-C cameras.

Oddly though, this does not seem to hinder droves of skilled photographers from cranking out a boat load of stunning images in those very categories using nothing but APS-C cameras.

Nothing odd about it. Droves of skilled photographers crank out stunning images in those categories using nothing but smart phones. 

My reluctance to upgrade to the X100F has to do with a lack of sensor development progress, not the IQ of the camera, or that of the X100T, F or XP/T2.

I don't feel the need for the latest and greatest gizmo, the T does the job and the F won't add anything to my bank account.

Upgrading would entail larger file sizes for photoshop to grind thru. Besides, I'll not be printing any larger than 18 X24".

That's my concern as well. Besides, my other Fujifilm cameras are X-Trans II generation, and it would frustrate me to no end having different sizes and rendering between those and the F. So, I am sticking with X-Trans II for now.