Useful shortcuts and little known but important facts

Hi All,

I thought I'd share a list of useful shortcuts and important considerations for the X-Pro2 I've compiled from personal experience and various resources (recommendations below.) As I'm new to using this forum I hope this isn't redundant and that it will save you all some time and perhaps prevent some aggravation.

• Shortcuts- in order of importance and frequency of use for me but of course this will be different for each of us
    • Push Trash button for 2 sec, then press rear command dial to bring up card formatting
    • Rear command dial- While in AF or MF press briefly to get the magnified view. Pressing for a full second in MF mode toggles through the focus assist modes (standard, split, focus peaking.) This works whether you are in magnified view or full view. This also works for the Electronic Rangefinder (ERF)
    • Battery life as a percentage by hitting Playback button, then up arrow OR just toggle through the displays using DISP/BACK button
    • Press and hold DISP/BACK button until Fn customizing menu appears and you can make changes
      • OR press and hold any of the individual Fn buttons to change the function for that button.
    • Press the Q key to bring up the Quick menu. Now press the Q button again and hold for 2 seconds: This brings you to the set-up menu to configure your custom camera settings C1 through C7.
    • Press and hold the Q key for 2 seconds while in shooting mode to configure the Quick menu itself. While in this mode you can navigate to any of the 16 positions (use joystick or controller keys) and select any of the 24 functions or NONE for that position (using the MENU/OK button or push in joystick.) If you don't need access to 16 positions/functions you make some of them blank using NONE to clean up your Q menu.
    • Press and hold Menu/OK button for 3 sec to lock all 4 selector/Fn buttons and the Q button. I must admit I never use this one but have included it in case someone out there sees a viable use for it.
  • Important but not obvious:
    • If DR is engaged (that is set to DR200, Auto, or DR400) your minimum Auto ISO won't go below ISO 400 or ISO 800 respectively, even if you've set the minimum for 200. I leave DR off for the most part because I primarily use Raw.
    • If you use DR-AUTO mode, the X-Pro2 will choose between DR100 or DR200 but not DR400.
    • If Face and/or eye detect is on, you can’t lock the AF. You also cannot change metering patterns. This makes no sense at all and I was hoping Fuji would change this when they came out with the 2.0 firmware update but no such luck. Maybe if we all request it, it will happen. One workaround is to assign Face/eye detect to a Fn button so you can quickly change it if you want to us AF-L or switch to spot metering.

In addition to figuring some of this out on my own I have used several other resources. A couple of these stand out and I would highly recommend them: 1. Adam Bonn's X-Pro Series Content (not to mention the rest of his blog/site as well as his many poignant posts on this forum) 2. Rico Pfirstinger's X-pert tips- right now you can get 40% off his e-book via the link pinned at the top of this (Fuji X-Pro1/X-Pro2) forum.

Cheers,

Joel

Edited by AZWolf

Hi All,

I thought I'd share a list of useful shortcuts and important considerations for the X-Pro2 I've compiled from personal experience and various resources (recommendations below.) As I'm new to using this forum I hope this isn't redundant and that it will save you all some time and perhaps prevent some aggravation.

I see there have been 150+ views of this so far. Are you finding the shortcuts or info useful? If you don't feel like posting, let me know with the "Like this" button. Thanks! -Joel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...