Fujifilm X-T2 coming pretty soon after the Fujfilm X-PRO2 (source right in the past)

Patrick FR

A source, who was right in the past, told us that the X-T2 will be announced from 2 to 4 months after the X-PRO2. Remember, the X-PRO2 announcement could be in late 2015 (according to this rumor).

It all looks like we are going to have an epic battle: X-PRO2 Vs. X-T2, Rangefinder Vs. DSLR-shape, HVF Vs. EVF…

FXF discussion: If the X-PRO2 and X-T2 were both released tomorrow, which one would you go for?

• 2 weeks later...

For now, we have only this tiny little rumor on the announcement period, neither date, but nothing on the specifics.

In my opinion the T2 will have the same sensor of the PRO2, so we will have to wait until its releas :)

What about a new 24 Mp sensor? Any chance?

It makes sense that the new Fujis will use the core 24Mp Sony sensor. This has proven to be a solid contender and, with X-Trans technology, will certainly upgrade IQ over the current one.

Personally though, I'd like to see something more spectacular and unexpected. For example, Samsung is rumored to make a 20Mp BSI sensor, with the same technology as their 28Mp one, but much improved low light performance. The latter sensor is already known to be at least as good as the 24Mp Sony (if not better) and the 20Mp should probably be amazing in terms of low light and DR. Coupled with the excellent color noise performance of the X-Trans array, it should make the X-Pro2/X-T2 practically comparable or better to any current FF camera. What I'm saying is I'd prefer a lower pixel count if that would be the case. Now if only Fuji could get in terms with Samsung, but I think this is highly unlikely.

I just saw this over at Alpha Rumors, and its a worrying rumor because I have a feeling that Sony might be playing silly whotsits (see below)

I have never really got to the bottom of whether the X-Trans has sony kit at its heart or not (never really cared as I am buying an overall package) however if there is or if the new 24MP sensor in the X-Pro 2 is using Sony tech under license then it makes me wander if the below might mean a delay (deliberate or otherwize) to the X-Pro 2. The dates line up

Sorry this is not a new post but I guess I am not important enough member of the forum as I don't seem to be able to open new threads (or it could be the terribly out of date browser at work) So i shoe horned it into this thread as if its true then both the X-Pro2 and X-T2 could be delayed.

It even makes me wander if the reason they will release them together is because of the delay and this might explain why X-E2 is suddenly getting V4 of the firmware.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

'I now got info from Ricoh and Nikon sources:
They told us that Sony developed a new sensor for the A7000. By contract that sensor could be used by other companies six months after the Sony A7000 announcement. The delay of the A7000 release also changed their product roadmap. To use the new Sony APS-C sensor with hybrid autofocus tech they will have to release their camera sometimes in 2016 instead of late 2015.

Let’ hope Sony will announce the A7000 during the next announcement session in September/October!'

Very Very doubtful Fuji would use Sony or anyone else for their sensor(s). I was a long time EEE doing machine control & robotics high speed high accuracy vision system work. We partnered with Fuji. I can say their engineering and semiconductor (which is after all what our beloved ¨visible light translation ¨sensors are) manufacturing is the finest in the World. Yes, they are part of a partnership R&D project with Oly. just as much of the high resolution sensor tech. for weather satellite - solar corona research is in fact Fuji- Mitsubishi joint development.  Ah, also in my past an aerial mapping photographer where Fuji did some wonderful camera-lens work as well as do very advanced SLAR, remote sensitometry, and magnetometer stuff. ;-) 

Very Very doubtful Fuji would use Sony or anyone else for their sensor(s).

Sony’s sensors were good enough for Fuji during the last couple of years; why do you think that would change? And even the sensor developed by Fuji are manufactured by Toshiba.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My crazy wishlist for both X-T2 and X-Pro2:

- No advance filters. Just not indicative of Fuji cameras.

- IBIS. An absolute imperative.

- Better sensor. Increased MP (as on OM-D E-M5 II.)

- 3.7MP or better EVF (As on Leica T. Better refresh rate, T's is horrendous.)

- GPS (Leica T has it built-in to the external EVF.)

- Weatherization on X-Pro2.

- Better weatherization and sturdier compartment/port doors on X-T2.

- Manual release cable support on the X-T2; would like to use a screw-in soft shutter release.

- Broader histogram support.

- Expansive and Better interval shooting support

- Ability to use friendly names and more custom profile memory banks. Can customize a couple of profiles for each lens.

- Ability to backup camera settings to SD card.

- Soft switch to engage on-demand or automatically the PIP image. Also in autofocus mode. Especially, in AF+MF mode.

- Timeout setting to return camera to full view after focus check while in autofocus mode.

- A couple of more Fn buttons.

- Vertical grip with EV compensation dial.

Thats quite the wishlist, honesly I don't even recognize some of the things on there, so I am fairly sure I don't need them, but as long as they don't add massively to the price and I can turn them off then fill yer boots :)

I have to say I am amazed by the hype around stabilization, don't get me wrong it seems very cool feature, but its just not something I am that excited about, as a rule I find that I value it only on Zooms where thanks to there slowness I sometimes need to use low shutter speeds and there I find the in lens Stablization to be most effective. I even have a theory that lens stabilization is better in my opinion than body stablization as it can be optimized for each lenses focal length and individual characteristics rather than a generic one size fits all. The main usage for stabilization for me is with legacy manual primes, but most of the time these are quite fast and bright so you can use high shutter speed. Also I find with fuji the high ISo files are very acceptable so I just don't see it being a massive issue for me. Again as long as it does not add significantly to rprice or affect IQ adversely in any way, great to have it, I just probably won't find much use for it. As long as it does not suck battery life and/or you can turn it off, then it will be great to have it just becuase camera ownership these days seems to have a lot to do with Top Trumps. I can see the attraction of being able to tell SOny and Olympus users that we have it, oh but wait, it probably won't be 5 axis and therefore our cameras will be totally incapable of taking any decent pictures at all, Fuji make sure you have 7 Axis stabiliation please otherwize I will never buy another of your products :) 

Toungue firmly in cheek for most of this post :)

I will JUMP on the X-T2 as long as it has 24mp plus.  I'm very happy with all other features  -- though they could take the advanced filters, and movie out and I would never miss them.

But an X-T2 with 24+ megapixels would help me out somewhat.

Thats quite the wishlist, honesly I don't even recognize some of the things on there...

As stated, it is a crazy wishlist. IBIS does give one jitter-free video and a couple of f-stops worth of advantage, but for me it really comes in handy during manual focussing. Especially, in critical focussing.

Cheers.

I can see the benefit with Manual focusing on a long lens and on full manual.

In terms of video, sensor stabilization is tricky on the one hand you get better stabilized shots, on the other it means that your cooling options are limited. The GH4 cameras have a massive heat sync bolted to the back of the sensor and that is what allows them to record long sections without getting super hot. You can't do that with a stabilized sensor as it has to float (or I suppose you could float the heat sync as well, but I think that would take a lot of battery power, something we are not exactly swimming in right now.

No personally I think if they can do it great, but I very much doubt we will get it for video.

Not only that some of the Fuji lenses the OIS is incredible. The 18-135 and 10-24 which are both great lens for video have superb ois.

However that does bring us on to another elephant in the room on video. Unless fuji massively redesign and release mkii of there lens with quieter focusing and ois you will always have to use the cameras with a separate audio rig for serious work. Again does not bother me, as anything serious I would do that anyway, but just saying.

I think what I am saying here is that I don't think the next generation Fuji cameras are going to be challenging the GH4, I do hope that they have a nice 4k implementation that will be enough to capture amateur stuff really well and be on a par with say the G7 or even Lx100 the video on that camera is insane for the price.

G

Thank you for your response. I don't have the GH4, but in the realm of IBIS platforms I own the GX7, E-M1 and A7M2, and in fixed lens the LX100 and RX100M3. They all handle IS real well and I really don't have a huge issue with battery usage by any of them. [Don't take me wrong, I'd welcome any power consumption efficiency. On the Fuji end and another wishlist item of mine--a more accurate battery SOC (state of charge) indicator.]

While I second you on the excellent OIS in 18-135 and 10-24, for that matter 18-55 and 55-200 are excellent too, I find the 50-140's OIS implementation to be just phenomenal. The lack of it on 16-55 is a bummer though; still a fantastic lens. I concur with you that the incumbent Fuji lens line-up is not optimized for video, and would require a redesign if Fuji wishes to be a formidable contender in the video world.

Regards,

Omer...

Fair enough but of the cameras you mentioned the only one that has 4k is the LX100 The LX100 is limited to 15 minutes recording time due to over-heating problems.

So my original point stands do you want 4k and if you do do you want to be able to record for longer periods. If so then stabilization is the trade off. given that you can stabilize a lens with no sensor over heating issues I would rather have longer 4k recording times without sensor stabilization as its the best balance of features until they solve the over-heating problems.

G