Has anyone here pre-ordered the GFX

Since it is a decent investment, I'm going to wait a bit to see what the real reviews say. Maybe I'll wait until the 110 lens comes out. I got a bit burned from pre-ordering X-T2 and found out it couldn't tether right out of the gate. That meant I couldn't use it much. 

I would love to sell all my Canon gear for the GFX  :wub:

The only thing that concerns me is the AF in low light especially at weddings  :unsure:

Since the X-T2 has issues regarding low light focusing in reception halls, the GFX will be much worse for sure.

The 63mm was hunting a bit when I was testing it in a hotel with low light. 

Hope there's not many pre-orders at B&H so I can get mine sooner rather than later. Heard today that in fact B&H opened their pre-orders on the camera on 18 January at about 8pm.  Did not even try at that hour as we were all told pre-orders started on 19 January. How naive of me to believe the 19th.

• 3 weeks later...

Have Fuji engaged you to write a book for it?

Fuji Germany doesn't commission or subsidize books, at least not that I know of. That might be different in other territories, of course. 

I might do a GFX book (the camera is not that different from an X-T2), but I want to see the how it sells in the first 3 months. Pre-orders look very strong, though.

Fuji Germany doesn't commission or subsidize books, at least not that I know of. That might be different in other territories, of course. 

I might do a GFX book (the camera is not that different from an X-T2), but I want to see the how it sells in the first 3 months. Pre-orders look very strong, though.

How does it work? (if you don't mind me asking, well too late, but if you don't mind answering :) )

So your Fuji books are completely independent of Fuji?

I have a reasonable relationship with Fuji Portugal (where I live) and they tell that each Fuji territory has its own way of working, and can do things pretty much as they please.

Do you think that the GFX might attract a different type of user? For example less jpeg shooters (which would be a little ironic no? I can appreciate the mentality that you might not buy a camera like that not to shoot raw, but the sooc jpeg samples I've seen have been sublime)

Also, assuming that existent MF users are probably pretty offay with cameras already, and know what they want and how to get it (...) might the uptake on your potential book be a little lower then regular X cameras? (Plus the lower sales volume)

And finally *shameless plug* my wife is a professional translator, so 1) I've seen the pain of working with languages and 2) if you need something doing in (Brazilian) Portuguese.... (you never know!)

So your Fuji books are completely independent of Fuji?

So far, everything I have published (books, blogs/articles, forum stuff) was independent of Fuji and has not been commissioned or been subsidized by Fujifilm in any way.

If there's a cooperation, it is marked as such (like my affiliation as an independent partner of FUJIFILMschool).

Edited by flysurfer

Do you think that the GFX might attract a different type of user? For example less jpeg shooters (which would be a little ironic no? I can appreciate the mentality that you might not buy a camera like that not to shoot raw, but the sooc jpeg samples I've seen have been sublime)

Also, assuming that existent MF users are probably pretty offay with cameras already, and know what they want and how to get it (...) might the uptake on your potential book be a little lower then regular X cameras? (Plus the lower sales volume)

I think it's pretty obvious that a GFX version of my X-Pert Tips would end up being more expensive than previous books to offset the lower volume of the underlying product. Luckily, that shouldn't shock those folks who can afford a GFX with lenses. 

Though I am very interested in the camera, I am not preordering it. For me, photography is a "very expensive" hobby and I originally bought into the X system for the compactness and great image quality. I have since sold all my Canon gear (technically i have one lens left) and have acquired just about everything I need (want) for my Fuji. The GFX would end up being primarily used for landscape. With most of my landscape photos resulting from traveling, it would start to defeat the purpose of my switch to Fuji. It would also mean carrying around different lenses, batteries, and chargers unless I used the GFX for everything. I certainly don't need it, but I want it. Maybe I will just rent it when I want to use it.

So far, everything I have published (books, blogs/articles, forum stuff) was independent of Fuji and has not been commissioned or been subsidized by Fujifilm in any way.

If there's a cooperation, it is marked as such (like my affiliation as an independent partner of FUJIFILMschool).

I was talking to someone yesterday who just bought an X-T2 and your book. I don't think she had a chance to read it yet, but it was nice to hear about the support for you. I know it takes a lot of effort and I appreciate the first looks, reviews, and tips.

Seems many have pre-ordered it:

HIGH DEMAND :: Notification on Limited Delivery of GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera System

http://www.fujirumors.com/high-demand-notification-limited-delivery-gfx-50s-medium-format-mirrorless-camera-system/

I did not pay much attention to this blog post because it referenced B&H in photo so I assumed it was a B&H notification as it was not stated this was a direct quote from Fuji.

I am hearing that ON1 will support the GFX RAWs. I would be fine with that as I gave up on Adobe who wants me to regularly pay for using their software for the rest of my life and never own it. I would rather buy a RAW converter than be forced into that method of use. 

Has anyone already got it? I have mine since today, and will need some time to really get to it. Currently Affinity is the only usable program I know, that can decode the RAWs, Silkypix is no option for me... Did anyone here try the LR-Tethering-Plugin? I wonder, what filetype is transferred to LR then, since LR on its own is noch able to decode the RAF-files.