ND filter recommendation

ifurnish

When I moved to Fuji, I decided to sell my Lee 100mm filters and get a few 77mm circular B+W MRC ND filters, in order to have a lighter kit, and I'm pretty happy so far. I have the 3 and 10 stops, and I plan to get the 6 stops someday. My copy of 10 stops does require to fix the white balance.

I now always carry at least one ND filter with me; which was not the case with Lee.

Try Nisi or Haida. The color cast is either minimal or easier to control. I use both. Haida is more affordable.

I've tried SinghRay, LEE, Cokin, Athabasca, Marumi, Kenko and some which I can't recall. I find that both Nisi and Haida are my go to filters nowadays....

Edited by Aswald

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I use Nisi filter system  but before I bought anything I read a lot of reviews,  and bought a lot of the cheaper filters circular ones

and some of the cheaper ones are just as good as the Lee/Nisi, and many more makes,

you read a review and someone recommends a certain filter the next review you read someone critics that filter

believe me the  more expensive filters,

you are paying  for the name that's all.

Lee have bad colour cast but the say they have no colour cast all

the filter makers claim the same, you can fix in LR/PP 

you have to make the decision,

why did I go for Nisi it was just advertised with more spin/  but so far it has served me well  yes there is a little colour cast but as far as I'm concerned,

there are NONE  that are perfect  just my opinion  and rant :o  :lol:  :(  :blink:

(I have nothing to do with Nisi )

Tom G  Scotland

For reference, circular polarizer is a bit more than an ND2 filter but less than ND3. Spectral transmission will be slightly different than a ND filter.

ND filters may be neutral, yet have varying spectral power reduction/attenuation. Look for the power versus wavelength curves in the filter specification. That said, color reproduction can be fixed in post processing.

Highly recommend formatt hitech firecast range. I spent some time looking at reviews and they were consistently at/near the top. Very little color cast. And also pleased with my circular b+w nd filter (nano mrc version). With formatt hitech holder on xf10-24mm no vignette with one nd on @10mm, a little with two