Iridient X-Transformer + Lightroom Settings for Great Results

I've just written up a new blog post here, outlining the settings I've worked out to get the most out of Iridient Digital's new X-Transformer conversion software. I did some rather rigorous testing over the past couple of days, to see if I can find an optimal starting point when working with Iridient + Lightroom.

I was searching everywhere for suggested settings, but it being such a new product I was unable to find any real direction. 

Please have a read, and let me know what you think! I think the results are wonderful, but would love to hear others opinions. This is just a base starting point, prior to any further processing, but it makes a freshly converted X file look perfect.

Cheers;

Isaac

I got hooked immediately to Irident X-Transformer and I bought a licence right away.

X-Transformer does a fantastic job at demosaicing , not so fantastic at NR+sharpening, expecially at high Iso.

When I convert I leave every setting at default, but I disable Sharpening and Luminance Noise Reduction .

For NR+sharpening I rely on NeatImage ( a photoshop add-on)

Yeah, I tried most of the NR + Sharpening settings with Iridient, but felt they didn't quite do what I wanted. Also, not being able to mask which areas to sharpen is no good. I use Iridient for the straight conversion, but all of the other aspects get worked on in other programs (Lightroom + Photoshop). Super happy that I no longer have oil-paint foliage and grass in my photos!

I have installed the X-transformer as a plug-in to Lightroom. Check this guide out in order to set that up: https://www.aevansphoto.com/ixt-lightroom-plugin/

After that is done you import your RAF-files to Lightroom (as usual) and then you right click on the .raf files you wish to convert and run it with X-transformer. When its done you end up with a sharper file (.tiff) that you can continue to edit in Lightroom to your liking. I even noticed it is possible to use fuji's color profiles after the conversion to .tiff is done.

I've just written up a new blog post here, outlining the settings I've worked out to get the most out of Iridient Digital's new X-Transformer conversion software. I did some rather rigorous testing over the past couple of days, to see if I can find an optimal starting point when working with Iridient + Lightroom.

I was searching everywhere for suggested settings, but it being such a new product I was unable to find any real direction. 

Please have a read, and let me know what you think! I think the results are wonderful, but would love to hear others opinions. This is just a base starting point, prior to any further processing, but it makes a freshly converted X file look perfect.

Cheers;

Isaac

This was an excellent help for me. Thank you so much for suggesting turning off the Iridient sharpening and noise reduction. I am getting consistently better processing using your method thus far.

Cheers;

Isaac

Thanks for this post, Isaac.

I have also run some tests with x-t10 files and it seems that we are on the same page here. I have three questions for you.

What is your experience with the Lens Correction / Chromatic Aberration setting? In my testing it did not do much. ACR (or Lightroom) does much better in this and the in-camera converter does even better obviously. So I ended up turning CA removal off. I also doubt that vignetting and Distortion correction are working as intended - the dng files apart from CA always have a slight vignetting compared to the raf even when the box is ticked in IXT, and distortion is hard to tell, I suppose the lens that I was testing with produces very little distortion anyway but basically there's no difference whether this option is turned on or off. There's another forum with slightly more information available (even the developer of IXT contributing) and I have asked this question there but no answer so far.

http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/iridient-x-transformer-lightroom-workflow.65365/page-2#post-653958

What's the point of applying the same noise reduction settings to a iso 200 and an iso 3200 image and everything in between?

Have you experimented with the smoother demosaicing option?

• 3 weeks later...

@Isaac Hilman: It looks like your link is down, but I tried your tips to use Xtransformer for the conversion only, with Sharpening + NR done in ACR, and I agree that this is the best settings so far. I don't hate to have a small amount of noise, ACR gives a result closer to film grain, while Iridient looks a digital mushy noise.

If you use Bridge + ACR workflow like me, it's soooooo easy to use. Simply right click on your .RAF in Bridge, and hit "Open with > Iridient X Transformer". The DNG will appear right next to the RAF when the conversion is done.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought and installed X-Transformer and run it as a Plugin through LR. It's unbelievably better and that's me just using it at the default settings. I may try and play about with the Sharpening and NR in X-Transformer as people previously said. I'll try turning them off as well.

However, straight off default settings, the difference to LR is pretty stark! Glad I bought the software, much better demosaicing :)

Edited by MShannon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! One stupid question. I am totally new to Iridient.

I heard Iridient is good at demosaicing. But if the picture is a bit over-exposed or need some highlight recovery. Is these things fully recoverable from the tiff file generated by the Iridient comparing to the RAW file editing in Lightroom or Capture One?  What I mean is same degree of recoverability.

Hello! One stupid question. I am totally new to Iridient.

I heard Iridient is good at demosaicing. But if the picture is a bit over-exposed or need some highlight recovery. Is these things fully recoverable from the tiff file generated by the Iridient comparing to the RAW file editing in Lightroom or Capture One?  What I mean is same degree of recoverability.

I don't have much experience with Iridient, but I can tell you with reasonable certainty that the files that it creates will have the same latitude and editability as the original RAF files. It's still outputting a raw file, so all of the information should be there. 

I see people mentioning that they end up with a TIFF file after passing a file through X Transformer, but from what I can see, my only option is to convert my files to DNG. It's not really an important distinction, but I'm curious about what I might be missing?

I don't have much experience with Iridient, but I can tell you with reasonable certainty that the files that it creates will have the same latitude and editability as the original RAF files. It's still outputting a raw file, so all of the information should be there. 

thanks for your sharing~~

I see people mentioning that they end up with a TIFF file after passing a file through X Transformer, but from what I can see, my only option is to convert my files to DNG. It's not really an important distinction, but I'm curious about what I might be missing?

If you open directly the X-Transformer app and convert a file, the result will be a DNG. But if you launch X-Transformer from Lightroom (configured as an external editor), the result will be a TIFF. But the result and size are the same.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm late to the game on trying to get my RAF (from an X-T2) look better. I've recently adjusted my LR sharpening settings to help reduce the wormy grain pattern (by reducing amount and increasing detail). I'm interested in checking out the Iridient now that I discovered I can use it more easily in my LR workflow (versus entirely switching my editor), any new tips/suggestions for July 2017? 

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I don't think this works the way you all think it does - when used as an external editor I think LR is just handing off a TIF to Iridient (Developer or X-Trans) and stacking the edited file. You're not getting the advantage of the using Iridient for the de-mosaic. It's not really a plug-in - it's an external editor.

The idea behind X-Transformer (when used as a stand alone) is that you de-mosaic and convert the file to DNG so all the luminance/color bits are preserved but Adobe's de-mosaic isn't used - the file is already RGB before it's imported to LR. Or am I missing something? 

So, basically you start back at zero, none of the LR adjustments are applied? Or does X-Transformer read and apply those too? Does it stack the resulting DNG file? (The Mac version doesn't seem to work that way - must be a bug. I have contacted the developer, I will report back here when I hear.)

(Edit: Ok, I got it working. Questions answered. Installed it wrong. My bad.) 

Edited by Max_Elmar

I believe there is an option to bring in the file using your lightroom adjustments, but I'm not positive. I tend to do the conversion first thing, so I don't have to deal with Lightroom struggling to read the RAF file.

The resulting file pops back into lightroom for me, but doesn't stack, it merely sits next to the original. Again, I'm not sure if that's the only way to do it, I haven't tried anything else because that behavior doesn't bother me, I'm sorry that I can't help there!

• 1 month later...

Cheers;

Isaac

404 Page not found